PDA

View Full Version : Winter/Summer Tyres

Camerashy
15-02-2014, 01:44 PM
I am both new to the Forum and new to Detailing so please excuse these basic questions
Im picking up a new A4 SE 2.0 todo Technik in a few weeks and it has 18 x 8j 10 spoke alloys on it. I like the 7 arm double spoke design but think they are 19 x 8.5j would they be able to be swapped like for like or would I need new tyres as well ( if the alloys would fit??)
Also, I notice that Audi do Summer and Winter alloys, ideally, are you suppose to have 2 sets of alloys and tyres for the 2 seasons, if so, you are talking over £2000!!!!
thanks for your help
dave

Audi.Quattro
15-02-2014, 03:01 PM
If its what your asking? you can't put 18" tyres on 19" rims, they will be too small. The alloys should fit ok, but you will need the 19" tyres too.

Winter tyres are handy to have, they don't have to cost £2000 though, my set of 18"s cost @£1200 and it was only that much because of the expensive Michlins I opted for. i.e. £100 a wheel and £200 a tyre

EssexGonzo
15-02-2014, 03:14 PM
Re winter tyres. You don't need to spend £2k or even £1200. You should be able to spend far less sourcing some relatively current genuine rims from eBay and some half decent tyres from blackcircles.com.

You could also go down to 17" rims for the winters which would be far cheaper - as long as you stick to the recommended 17" size for your model (which there definitely is).

I spent £500 privately on my 18" rims (admittedly replica but identical to my OEM S line rims in appearance, size and offset) and virtually new ContiWinterContacts. They're on their 3rd winter with plenty of tread left, the car looks good and I was well pleased with the deal.

Camerashy
15-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Many thanks, I will check out your links and appreciate the helpful info.
dave