PDA

View Full Version : Diesel engine and multitronic advice sought please...

ADBS65
13-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Hi, I am hoping that you will be able to advise me, as i am looking to buy my first Audi. I am looking at either an A4 or an A6. I currently average 10k per annum, generally communting with a few longer journeys per month thrown in. I only need to seat 5 adults on a rare occasion, usually there are only 2 of us in the car. I am looking at a 2008/9 model year 2.0ltr diesels with mutlitronic and around 70-80k miles. I have read about timing chain issues, which I think were on earlier vehicles but have been sorted now by the use of gear drive? I have also read about the hex drive to the oil pump failing, I am not so sure if this would affect the vehicles I am looking at. On this and other forums, it appears that the multitronic is OK, if you change the oil regularly, but if they go wrong they are a £4000 repair!I know it is a lot to ask on my first post, but what would you advise. Is the 2.0ltr diesel in 2008 a solid engine and should I look to a manual gearbox and avoid the multitronic? I have also posted this on the A6 forum so any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

audi_guy
14-02-2014, 01:14 PM
If it's any help I have a 63 A4 1.8 TFSI 170 with the Multitronic gearbox, and I have to say it is the best gearbox in my opinion I have driven. It is very smooth and the revs hardly go up unless you require power. At 70 my revs are 1,250rpm cruising.

I haven't driven the diesel version, but I imagine it to be very similar as power figures are very similar, although the TFSI has slightly more torque.

Mine has been faultless, but it does clearly state you have to change the gearbox oil every 35k miles. If that gets changed I see no problems.

markp306
14-02-2014, 07:22 PM
I haven't driven the diesel version, but I imagine it to be very similar as power figures are very similar, although the TFSI has slightly more torque.

I think you might have that back to front.
Your 1.8 will have more power (was it 160/170?) but only a fraction of the 143's torque.

For the OP: I had a 2008 avant with the 143 engine, which is most likely what you are in the market for. It was absolutely solid at 45k. Didn't miss a beat. Of course I don't know what it would be like with double the mileage but wouldn't anticipate any issues with its track record. Someone else who has covered that level of mileage will have to comment on that. I liked that engine although I'm now driving a TDI 177PS and that's in another league again.

I've previously test driven a multi with the 2.0 (143) and also the newer/facelift 1.8 (170) and do like this 'box - but the wife doesn't so I had to compromise with a manual. However I can't comment on the older 1.8 (160), which you are comparing the TDI with. It's personal choice, but I reckon you will be pleased either way. Buy as new as you can though. There are a few 'model year' differences (and a 2012 facelift) to consider including a few tweaks and fixes.

audi_guy
14-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Actually the new 170 1.8 has an extra 75ft torque over the 160 making about 260ft which is more than the 140 diesel and near the 170 I believe

markp306
14-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Actually the new 170 1.8 has an extra 75ft torque over the 160 making about 260ft which is more than the 140 diesel and near the 170 I believe

Apologies. Yes you are right, the petrol 170 now has an identical max torque as the 136, 143 and 150 TDI. I was still thinking of the older 160.

Need to keep up with times! That engine really has come on leaps and bounds and the claimed Mpg looks competitive too!

Jason Carson
17-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi, I drive a 2.0 TDI 143 multitronic. I believe they had a few problems with the first generation of gearboxes on the b7's but I have to say it's the best auto I have ever driven. Its almost impossible to spot the gear changes and fuel economy isn't too bad either. I very rarely use the flappy paddles as there are 8 gears and it gets a bit repetitive when slowing down and speeding up in town etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk