PDA

View Full Version : How do you organise your music for MMI? This is my solution

allanmb
12-02-2014, 07:32 PM
I think the random mode on the MMI is a little lacking. It only does random in the current playlist or directory. I have my music organised so that it is broken down by genre, artist, album and I want to be able to easily choose either a genre, artist, or specific album to play, in random. This is how I have my music organised:

All Music
- Rock
|-Nirvana
||-Nevermind
||-Nirvana
||-Insecticide
|-Seether
||-Karma and Effect
||-Disclaimer
||-Holding on to Strings
||-Seether 2002-2013
|||-CD1
|||-CD2
- Dance
|-Prodigy
||-Albums
|||-Fat of the Land
|||-Experience
|||-Music for the Jilted Generation
||-Singles
|-Seabound
||-Beyond Flatline
||-Double Crosser
- Chillout
|-Enigma
||-MCMXC AD
||-A Posteriori
||-The Cross of Changes

You get the idea... Anyway, I found that by making a playlist for any folder that includes all of its subfolders, I can play all music, a whole genre, all songs by a single artist, or a single album. Since I have a lot of music, I needed a way to automate making these playlists so programmed myself one! If anyone is interested in the program then let me know and I can provide a link.

If anyone can think of a better way to play the music on the MMI then I would like to know too :)

Hippogriff
13-02-2014, 02:33 PM
I take a completely different approach. ;)

I have a kind of "staging" thing going on... but I organise things in Artist \ Album \ Tracks wherever they are. By "staging" I mean - the Album I know I will always want access to go on the Jukebox. Albums that I class as a step down go on the 120GB HDD in the glove compartment (in practice this actually is pretty static as well). The things I am getting into go onto an 8GB SD card in SD card slot 2. And, finally, the things I am just trying out - or stuff that is new - goes onto a 2GB SD card that goes into SD card slot 1.

Albums can be promoted within the 'system'. They don't often get demoted. I can go many weeks without changing anything on any of the storage devices.

I don't use playlists and I don't do random... the reason for this is that I find the car is a good place for me to listen to Album as they were intended to be listened to - in the order they were designed. I actually quite like this. Horses for courses.

allanmb
14-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your insight Hippo,

I am too impatient and can't listen to the same band for more than a song or two without needing some change hence my need for random. I haven't yet put anything on the jukebox as I thought the HDD in the glovebox would suffice. Is there any advantage to putting stuff on the jukebox?

Cheers
Allan

Kar Krazy
14-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Hi Allan,

I've tried saving playlists from Windows Media Player to my SD card before putting it into the MMI, but it doesn't display or recognise these playlists. How do you create playlists for your Audi MMI system?

allanmb
14-02-2014, 02:36 PM
I wrote my own program to do it but they just need to be text files with a relative path to the files. I found that some playlists have quotes and some devices dont like those. Here is an exerpt from one of my playlists:

.\The Prodigy\Albums\Experience\Expanded - CD 2 (2001)\08 - Crazy Man.mp3
.\The Prodigy\Albums\Experience\Expanded - CD 2 (2001)\09 - Out Of Space (Techno Underworld Remix).mp3
.\The Prodigy\Albums\Experience\Expanded - CD 2 (2001)\10 - Everybody In The Place (Fairground Remix).mp3
.\The Prodigy\Albums\Invaders Must Die (Special Edition)\101-the_prodigy-invaders_must_die.mp3
.\The Prodigy\Albums\Invaders Must Die (Special Edition)\102-the_prodigy-omen.mp3
.\The Prodigy\Albums\Invaders Must Die (Special Edition)\103-the_prodigy-thunder.mp3

Hippogriff
17-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Is there any advantage to putting stuff on the jukebox?Allan

Well, you get the Coverflow-style UI on the Jukebox. Dunno if that floats your boat..?