PDA

View Full Version : Service indicator question

Ninotschka
11-02-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi all,
I'm usually just a fly on the wall and find what answers I need by searching but have not had any luck with this one so I hope one of you knows the answer.

I took my 2009 A4 for a service today as the MOT was due anyway, but the next service wasn't for 3000 miles. After the service, the oil change indicator is at 9400miles even though it's long life. Is that normal?

What concerns me more is that the guy couldn't reset the service interval display and said it can only be reset if the service due indicator is on. Not something that makes sense to me at all but hopefully someone here can confirm or deny this?

Thanks all in advance!

Nina

s7gpt
11-02-2014, 06:57 PM
you can reset oil through your mmi, sounds like your car is set to fixed servicing rather than flexible if it goes to around 10k rather than the usual 19k for long life.

To change above to flexible and your inspection service indicator you need VCDS

Ninotschka
11-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your reply. Maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough. The car has 2 options. One is the oil change which is at 9400 after a reset. The service option is at 19.000 after a reset usually after a service . But my problem is that these guys at the garage are telling me they can't reset the service interval to 19.000 unless the 'service due' light comes on. So it still reads 3.000 miles like it did before the service, because they were unable to reset it. I would like to know if this is true. That you can only reset the service counter (not the oil change one) when the warning light comes on

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

s7gpt
11-02-2014, 08:48 PM
no, you can change at any time, I guess they don't have vcds to change it ?

Ninotschka
11-02-2014, 09:23 PM
That is what I needed to know. Thank you for the help. I had a feeling that was the reason. Not gonna go back there for another service in the future that's for sure. Thanks again!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk