PDA

View Full Version : How To How to readjust the instrument needles after messing about with DIS LCD repair

defever
08-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Hello people,

I bought VCDS-LITE very recently and I've been playing around with it in amazement (and for amusement)!

One of the things I wanted to fix was the instrument cluster needles (tachometer, coolant temp gauge, fuel gauge and speedometer); when I got the car last year I wanted to repair the pixelated DIS LCD display using the "tape" method (no it didn't work), and to get to the LCD, the needles needed to come off. When I reassembled the cluster I was being very careful to put them where I thought they should be, but I wasn't really sure of myself.

SO! With the VCDS-LITE, I went to "INSTRUMENTS" (no faults, hoorah), then "OUTPUT TEST" option to sweep the needles. At the end of sweeping process, the needles are pre-set to stop at following places:

Tachometer: 3000 RPM
Coolant temp gauge: 90°C
Fuel gauge: 1/2
Speedo: 100km/h (Germans, I guess)

Mine was bit off:

So, I took out the cluster (there are loads of "how to" on removing the instrument cluster, just Google it), got the outer casing out, took the needles out and placed back on VERY LIGHTLY. And then I carefully placed the naked cluster on the dash and connected the cables to run the VCDS again.

Ran the "OUTPUT TEST" over an over to physically place the needle to where they should be (as above) and secured the needles when I was satisfied with their positions.

Outcome:

Not perfect (in fact, they haven't improved much!), but I now know they are closer to the ideal positions. And I feel like I've done a geeky DIY.

I hope this helps another hopeless soul out there...

Thanks for reading!

kite
08-02-2014, 10:12 PM
You could send the dash to BBA reman to repair the DIS.
Well done on the needles.

bloody smart phones....

defever
09-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Yup, it's on my to do list!

Asked about local repair services in the past but haven't got around to it...: DIS LCD repair company like Cartronix in Southeast? (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?142926-DIS-LCD-repair-company-like-Cartronix-in-Southeast)

The display isn't too bad so it's not really urgent. But the needles were! ha.

size12
09-02-2014, 10:55 AM
When removing needles NEVER turn them clockwise as this is what knocks them out. Gently pull the needle while turning anti clockwise to remove.
Gently push while turning anti clockwise to put them back on trying to stop at all zero/ empty marks on dials, I you miss a mark go all the way round anti clockwise and try again.
This should stop the wayward needles.
HTH

vman197
26-11-2016, 04:17 PM
Hi,i recently took the speedometer needle off and replaced where it back to where i thought was the correct position but on driving car it isn't moving.I ran an output test on itand still doesn't move. I turnedit anti clockwise listening to all the clicks all the way round and stopped to 0 and still dosn't move.
Can someone tell me what i am doing wrong or explain to me in "replacing needles for dummies style" please??