PDA

View Full Version : Q7 fibre cable type

Q7quattro
07-02-2014, 10:10 PM
Does any one know what type of fibre they use in the q7

Educated guess its multi mode (single mode is used over long distances)

but it does any one know whether the fibre size is 62.5/125 or 50/125

cheers.

Guest 2
07-02-2014, 10:13 PM
Can I ask why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q7quattro
07-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Just interested really , because I design and manage fibre optic networks for a living , and use a fusion splicer from time to time splicing fibre.

The size of fibre I work with is basically human hair size (approx)-

cheers

Guest 2
07-02-2014, 10:23 PM
Pop one of the cables out from the cd changer or DVD nav drive and have a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q7quattro
07-02-2014, 10:39 PM
on the larger fibre cables i use at work(example 48 core fibre) , the fibre type , meter marking and number of cores is printed on the sheath of the cable at 1 metre intervals.

the fibre patch cords i use (to connect a circuit) are a similar size to the ones used in the Q7 (seen the q7 fibre on google images)- and the type of fibre is not stamped on the actual fibre (the type of fibre is shown on a paper label stuck to the packaging the cord comes in)

so the q7 fibres prob won't have any markings.

( you can't tell just by looking at the fibre itself )

will prob look tomorrow

Cockney Boy
08-02-2014, 09:05 AM
If you need replacement fibre cables for your Q7 then buy them from Kufatec !

Q7quattro
08-02-2014, 09:34 AM
Hi, don't need a replacement.

as stated above just interested ....

i have media converters which convert have a fibre optic input and a copper output see image below - so I was planning to disconnect the audi fibre from the back of the 6 disc changer in the dash.

then connect the 6 disc CD changer to the media converter (fibre out of CD to fibre in on media converter )and plug a RJ45 Ethernet cable (copper output) and tinker with the outputs

(the media converter shown has ST fibre input (push and turn - like a bayonet bulb) other fibre input types are available, will have to get correct lead or splice one using correct pigtails

If you need replacement fibre cables for your Q7 then buy them from Kufatec !