PDA

View Full Version : Where's my Sim Slot?

Sauron
07-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Well had the car for a month now and still enjoying it but with one thing and another I'm still checking out/discovering things. Now having followed the thread on the A6 side regarding data plans decided to just get a '3' 321PAYG SIM card to try various options. Having taken delivery of the SIM card last night I duly added £10 credit ready to have a play this morning.

Now here's the issue. Got in car lifted the media flap and where's the Sim Slot? I have 2 SD card readers but no Sim Slot. Am I missing something here as I thought this came with Telephone Prep High; which is included in the Tech Pack/Tech pack Advanced?

Anyone else without the in car Sim Card reader? If so what spec do you go have?

soft
07-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Well had the car for a month now and still enjoying it but with one thing and another I'm still checking out/discovering things. Now having followed the thread on the A6 side regarding data plans decided to just get a '3' 321PAYG SIM card to try various options. Having taken delivery of the SIM card last night I duly added £10 credit ready to have a play this morning.

Now here's the issue. Got in car lifted the media flap and where's the Sim Slot? I have 2 SD card readers but no Sim Slot. Am I missing something here as I thought this came with Telephone Prep High; which is included in the Tech Pack/Tech pack Advanced?

Anyone else without the in car Sim Card reader? If so what spec do you go have?

Auuu that must hurt!
Im none expert myself, but If the slot is missing, you do not have the buildt in phone/network functions.
Been a 13 mod, it might be that you can get this functions via your mobile phone.
I'm sure someone without a sim slot will chime in soon in this thread.

Sauron
07-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Soft

Thanks for response and yes it was a surprise. I'm no expert either and hence the post, however, the car has the Tech pack advanced which according to the brochure includes the 'Mobile telephone prep - High with Audi Connect' that 'includes an internal UMTS(3G) module'. So I read this as I should have the sim slot but maybe not?

It's not the end of the world but when you are expecting something it still comes as a surprise when it's not there.

M1tchy
07-02-2014, 10:51 AM
That's a shame. You can check if it was supposed to have it, in your spare wheel well there is a sticker with a load of 3 letter codes on it. If you search on here there is a link to a website that decides the three letters into the option it relates to. However, if it's not there I guess it shouldn't be. Did you buy it new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron
07-02-2014, 11:16 AM
M1tchy

Thanks for response and I'll check the codes when I can. I bought the car second hand and have sent an email to the Audi dealer I got it from requesting their clarification and I'll check 'My Audi' when I have time later.

Regarding your comment if it isn't there then it shouldn't be.... Not sure I totally agree as mistakes are made and although computers are fairly good they still rely on human input. I've checked previous copy go the brochure, back to 2011 and even that states:

Mobile telephone preparation – High with online services and cordless handset in the front centre armrest with colour display and integral SIM card reader, for making private phone calls; easy text message entry thanks to automatic word recognition. Only in combination with MMI Navigation Plus.

Which clearly indicates prep - High should include a SIM card reader. I know that functionality of the MMI has changed recently but I believe the SIM card reader and prep - high should always be combined. I'll let you know what the garage response is.

Sauron
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Just had a response from the garage and apparently there was a 4 month period where the SIM card slot was not provided (parts availability?). Bottom line it is what it is and nothing can be done, however, learning point for all perhaps is don't rely on the brochure as this is apparently no guarantee. In this case no huge issue as I haven't missed it yet and only wanted to have a play (also iphone user so no rsap option) but if something is important to you I would advise to check specs closely.

@mark
07-02-2014, 01:16 PM
According to the manual, this isn't even an option. It is standard

BUT

This is country specific so one question that comes to mind, is your car an import (or at least UK spec)?

@mark
07-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Just had a response from the garage and apparently there was a 4 month period where the SIM card slot was not provided (parts availability?). Bottom line it is what it is and nothing can be done, however, learning point for all perhaps is don't rely on the brochure as this is apparently no guarantee. In this case no huge issue as I haven't missed it yet and only wanted to have a play (also iphone user so no rsap option) but if something is important to you I would advise to check specs closely.

That is a huge omission. For some owners that would result in a big loss of functionality compared to the brochure

Sauron
07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
According to the manual, this isn't even an option. It is standard

BUT

This is country specific so one question that comes to mind, is your car an import (or at least UK spec)?

I certainly thought it was standard hence I hadn't even checked until 1 month into ownership when I went to insert the SIM card. Regarding the car, no not an import - UK car from new with 1 previous owner. Unfortunately bought second hand so no comeback I'm afraid 'caveat emptor' and all that.

For reference, my car was first registered 27 Apr 13, anybody else in the quoted '4 month window' affected?

silo24
07-02-2014, 05:56 PM
2012 MY didn't have Mobile Prep High, just Mobile Prep.

You DID however get advanced park assistance instead I believe....?

Moogie
07-02-2014, 08:55 PM
The mobile phone prep high only bacame part of the tech pack in later 2013 models.

Sauron
07-02-2014, 09:29 PM
2012 MY didn't have Mobile Prep High, just Mobile Prep.

You DID however get advanced park assistance instead I believe....?

Interesting, i do indeed have park assist. Unfortunately I don't have a MY 12 brochure but the brochure fo May 11 states:

Mobile telephone preparation – High with online services Bluetooth-capable mobile phone can be conveniently connected to the vehicle’s internal UMTS module (provided the mobile telephone has a SIM-Access profile); additional SIM card reader is located in the surround of the MMI Navigation Plus...... etc

and the Tech Pack included Mobile Tech Prep -High (tech Pack Advanced was not available on this model year). I therefore assumed, obviously incorrectly, that the Tech Pack Advanced my car has would be as per the 'from May 2013 Brochure' that states:

'Mobile telephone prep - High with Audi Connect' that 'includes an internal UMTS(3G) module'.

Perhaps there was a parts availability issue and they provided the park assist instead?

Sauron
07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
The mobile phone prep high only bacame part of the tech pack in later 2013 models.

Not sure that is correct (see above) although I know the modding was changed in later MY 13 vehicles to enable a SIM card to be inserted while still supporting a Bluetooth phone.

soft
07-02-2014, 09:41 PM
Not sure that is correct (see above) although I know the modding was changed in later MY 13 vehicles to enable a SIM card to be inserted while still supporting a Bluetooth phone.
Is there a SIM slot in the phone under the armrest?

hash67
07-02-2014, 09:52 PM
hi all, i had a problem with my new my 2013 A7 bought new from audi in Canterbury. when i got the car i found it had telephone high but not the park assist feature. apparently there was a swap in the spec for a brief period due to parts, they then reverted. there was the same issues with the auto box where they swapped from the 7 speed box to the 8 speed box on all model below 313 BHP. i caused a stink as they car was mis advertised as current model and did not meet the brochure spec.

Audi UK swapped the car for a new one at their cost to resolve the issue, i did 10,000 miles by the time it turned up and 0 cost to me

cheers

Moogie
07-02-2014, 10:30 PM

Well I've a Nov2012 brochure and a Sept2013 brochure and Mobile phone high is not in the Nov2012 tech pack whereas it is in the Sept2013.

Sauron
07-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Is there a SIM slot in the phone under the armrest?

not sure I'll have to check tomorrow.

Sauron
07-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Well I've a Nov2012 brochure and a Sept2013 brochure and Mobile phone high is not in the Nov2012 tech pack whereas it is in the Sept2013.

It looks like there was some chopping and changing of specs around that time.

@mark
13-02-2014, 08:55 PM
additional SIM card reader is located in the surround of the MMI Navigation Plus...... etc

Have you actually looked in the surround of the MMI Navigation Plus (i'm assuming this might mean the screen that pops out)?

soft
13-02-2014, 09:12 PM
not sure I'll have to check tomorrow.
do you have the handset in the armrest?

Sauron
13-02-2014, 10:56 PM
do you have the handset in the armrest?

no handset just the plastic inset that it would plug into.

Sauron
13-02-2014, 11:11 PM
Have you actually looked in the surround of the MMI Navigation Plus (i'm assuming this might mean the screen that pops out)?

The original quote is from a brochure which I thing is fairly genetic. The operating manual only shows a picture of the dual sd card readers (which I gave) with the SIM card slot in the middle (which I don't). Therefore, I'm fairly certain I have no sim slot so if I want the google stuff etc I'll need to get an rsap capable phone. At the end of the day I'm not sure I'm that bothered.

@mark
14-02-2014, 09:30 AM
The original quote is from a brochure which I thing is fairly genetic. The operating manual only shows a picture of the dual sd card readers (which I gave) with the SIM card slot in the middle (which I don't). Therefore, I'm fairly certain I have no sim slot so if I want the google stuff etc I'll need to get an rsap capable phone. At the end of the day I'm not sure I'm that bothered.

That is a valid point.

Lets be honest, the online services are pretty limited in what they deliver

Sauron
14-02-2014, 09:54 AM
That is a valid point.

Lets be honest, the online services are pretty limited in what they deliver

As I don't gave it I'm not best placed to comment I guess but for me I think I would have used the google map display occasionally but probably only because I could, equally I'm sure I would have played with the search because it was there but defaulted to the iphone or ipad. For me I think the biggest use/benefit would have been the car aerial integration which I'm assuming gives improved cellular reception?

@mark
14-02-2014, 10:26 AM
As I don't gave it I'm not best placed to comment I guess but for me I think I would have used the google map display occasionally but probably only because I could, equally I'm sure I would have played with the search because it was there but defaulted to the iphone or ipad. For me I think the biggest use/benefit would have been the car aerial integration which I'm assuming gives improved cellular reception?

So the Google search only allows you to search for places to navigate to. You can't do normal searches for random stuff

The aerial integration would only work if you have a SIM that have voice enabled on it or if you were using a phone with RSAP (so an iPhone connected via bluetooth would not use the external antenna)