PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi A4 (2014) - Engine fan noise after ignition off

Ger65
04-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Hi,
Is it usual in an A4 (TDi 2.0 - 2014) for a motor/fan noise to come from the engine for at least 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off and car locked?
This has happened to me twice recently. The first time there was a distinct 'hot' engine smell from the passenger side of the engine, didn't notice that the second time.

Both times it's been after short journeys of less than 10 miles. The engine temperature wasn't high - there was no warning inside.
I do this journey every day and this doesn't happen daily, as I mentioned it's only happened twice.

This is a new car, currently under 2,000 miles from new.

Is this a concern, or a design quirk?

Thanks

Guest 2
04-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Normal, DPF regen which has been interrupted.

You need to take the car on a 4th gear run @ 60mph when this happens to allow the regen to finish.

Ger65
04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Wow! Quick reply - thanks Chris.

Can you explain more?
There has been a fairly short gap between instances - a week or less. Would that be normal?
How often is it supposed to happen and would I know when it's regen(ing). Finally, how long a drive 4th @60 do I need for it to finish?

Thanks

Normal, DPF regen which has been interrupted.

You need to take the car on a 4th gear run @ 60mph when this happens to allow the regen to finish.

Guest 2
04-02-2014, 10:42 PM
Search on the forum for DPF, basically a regen happens in the background every few hundred miles or so, but if you get the fan on after ignition off then the process has been interrupted and will be resumed when the car is used again.

There are a number of specifics which have to be met for the regen to happen correctly.

Ger65
04-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Thank you.