PDA

View Full Version : Access to a locked car

johnvw
04-02-2014, 07:34 AM
Hi to All,
As I am now an old fella, I have more time to go surfing. Is anyone aware of a way that I can lock my 2010 A4B8 and take a 'key' ( not the original ) with me into the surf.
I am not at all confident that I can keep the salt water out of an airtight 'cliplok' plastic bag, contained within my wet suit.

This was not a concern years ago, a metal key up the sleeve was fine.
Unfortunately the days have passed when one could leave a wallet and keys folded up in a beach towel.
A strange request, all comments are welcomed.
Thank you in advance.
Regards
John

mjhamilton
04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
My audi came with a plastic service key that seems to be able to unlock the door and nothing more

I guess you could put your real key somewhere in the boot and use this

Failing that you could get a blank cut with your key and use that

Guest 2
04-02-2014, 09:29 AM
I see people all the time with little lockable boxes which hang off the towing eye by a thick metal ring securing its contents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGW82
04-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Ok, I might have completely missed something here... But why not just take the metal key out of the keyfob? I know you said you don't want to use the original key but did you mean the whole fob or just the metal key part? You should have 2 fobs with the car so 2 metal keys as well...

Apologies if I've missed something here...

Soot1e
04-02-2014, 10:40 AM
As mentioned above use the black plastic key supplied, it will unlock the car and when placed inside the adaptor (located on the LH side of the glove box) then inserted into the ignition socket it can be used to start the car. Make sure the Audi rings on both the key and adaptor are facing upwards when installing. If the plastic key is not inserted into the holder and the ignition turned on within 15 secs of unlocking the door manually the alarm will sound.

Eshrules
04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
one of these - BeachPlay Waterproof Car KeySafe Bag - New with Arm Band and Lanyards | eBay (http://tinyurl.com/p8aka5u)

I used one during my two week trip to the states, stuck the hire car keys in there and it was completely fine.

visted both sides of Florida and three water parks - no issues :)

size12
04-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Just get a blade cut of your key no need for it to be coded. lock your keys in the glove box and lock the door with manual lock.
I wouldn't trust the plastic key they don't take much use.

johnvw
10-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Thank you for all the replies.
AGW82, the concern was the salt water.
Soot1e, I had hoped to leave my keys in the LOCKED car.
But have two concerns.
If the keys (original) are in the car, can the car still be locked or will that proximity thing always allow the car to be opened ( therefore never locked).
Cutting another key seems the way to go, but that wavy pattern on the side appears a challenge. Has anyone had a metal key 'cut' as an alternative to the plastic key.
Eshrules, this looks very interesting, for the price it is worth a try. I would love to incorporate this with a metal 'cut' key.

Many thanks to All.
Regards
John

size12
10-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Does your car have the advanced key?
Cutting laser track keys is not a problem they have been around for 25 years. An un programmed one will be fine for your needs.

johnvw
10-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Dear Size 12,
I do not know what you mean by the advanced key. The car was purchased in June 2010, the key is standard ie I have not seen another alternative, the 'key' can be removed from the plastic housing and a separate plastic key was also included.

Where would a second 'plastic' key like this be cut ?? I doubt a hardware store would have the blanks.

If I leave my original key in the glovebox and lock the car with the newly cut metal key ( if I can), will the car really be locked.
Would not the proximity sensor of the key in the glove box allow the car doors to be opened by a stranger.

Regards
John

johnvw
17-02-2014, 07:58 AM
Thank you to All,
I have been told to get a key cut ( now in process ), put the original key in the boot, lock the door with the 'new' key, all should be good.
It is worth a try, but I still think the boot can now be opened.
Not a problem with my old cars, technology sometimes has a means of biting you in the ar...e.
Regards
John
ps Eshrules, I have ordered those waterproof key bags.

Eshrules
17-02-2014, 08:53 AM
ps Eshrules, I have ordered those waterproof key bags.

The american lady that was chatting me up on Clearwater beach (she was 'just being nice' according to the better half) was amazed it had worked so well and said she was getting one too.

I ought to be paid commission really.