PDA

View Full Version : Roof bars

Wippa
03-02-2014, 09:54 PM
Audi Accessories < Owners area (http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/owners-area/audi-accessories.html?appLink=%2Faccessories-searcher%2Fdetails.do%3FaccessoryId%3D32899)

The only roof bars I can find for the A7 are the factory ones listed above which are £225. Does anyone know of third party ones?

I'm trying to get to the,point where I can fit a bike mount for at least 2 bikes and poss 3 in the future, but it's looking like it's going to cost me best part of £500 by the time I buy these and the mounts.

And advice anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sauron
03-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Wippa

have you tried roof racks.co.uk? They have a choice so 2 Thule options: approx£140 for a square bar and approx £180 for a WingBar setup (reduced drab and noise). You can then add bike racks etc as required. I have the WingBar and bike racks from previous car and hopefully can just update fitting pack; although my bar width is only 127cm as opposed to the 135 cm the site comes up with for the A7 so may be too small. Previously had the setup on a Mondeo Estate and even with the 127cm bar there was plenty of room for 3 bikes. I also found the WingBar very quiet when left on without bikes, even at speed, although tended to remove them when not in use. I also like the simplicity of the Proride 591 (not the cheapest carrier but nice and sturdy) and the fact that you can change the locks so that 1 key fits all locks (roof bar and bike racks). Hope this helps.

Wippa
03-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks Sauron, I thought I'd looked on every site and googled every variation possible ... Except that one so thanks for that link. I'd not found any third party bar at all.

In your experience do you get much road noise from these hence why you went for the wing bar version? I've only had boot versions prior so not had to consider road noise before. Looked at the instructions and video clips for fitting both the Thule bars and they look easy enough. I assume they use rubber feet of some sort to stop the scuffing?

With 2 of the proride 591s and the wing bar version I'm still looking at best part of £300 which is obviously Much better than 5.

Sauron
03-02-2014, 10:58 PM
Wippa

In answer to your question regarding noise, yes went for wingbar based on reviews that said quieter although never tried square bar so have no comparison. Regarding rubber feet again yes and I had no problem with scratches although as per instructions always made sure surface was clean before attaching.

as you say with the 591s still not cheap but I think they are good quality and although you may have to change fittings for future vehicles the 591s can be used again.

Hope this helps again.

Wippa
03-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks for that.

Just tried that and it's coming out at £197, I think £157 is for the square bar. I think the 591s look great. Easy to use and more importantly secure. From what I gather, you fit the bike before mounting the bar to the car then tie up once on the car. I think I'll prob go for this combo ready for some travels in the spring.

Thanks again Sauron

Sauron
04-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Wippa

Sorry my mistake, the picture showed a WingBar but I hadn't noticed the price defaulted to the square bar (previous post edited). This makes sense as roofbox.co.uk was the cheapest when is bought the original item. Actually, when I got it they had a package deal with 2 x 591, bars and fittings which saved a few pounds extra and the did the key lock exchange so it only cost the return packaging on the 6 locks. Again if you speak to them I'm sure they'll be helpful with best options.

Regarding fitting - the way I do it is secure the bars, attach the 591 to the bar and then you just like the bike onto the rack, having opened and positioned the jaw on the securing arm. While holding bike with one had press a button on the arm which closes the jaw spring tight and then turn and lock tension knob. After this just tighten the two straps over the wheels and job done.

A couple of thoughts as well: if I was leaving the bikes on the roof unattended for any time I would use some other locking mechanism to secure bikes to each other and roof bars as the locks on arms are to keep bike secure on roof rather than significant theft protection. I've also just thought about the fact that the A7 windows are frameless. Not sure what this will do regarding wind noise and I guess care when closing the door might be a good idea? The fact that the window drops as you open it should make it okay but previous car had frame and wind/weather seal on the door. Perhaps roofbox.co.uk could provide advice?

Sauron
04-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Wippa

just looked at the stock image of the A7 with a roof box on it and the bars (from what you can tell from the picture look like the thule wingbar anyway). Also notice that the roof fixing seems to go between the roof and the aluminium window surround so the frameless window shouldn't be a problem. Will have to look how that works regarding fitting the feet tonight, I guess there is a gap to slide the roof bar foot into?

Wippa
04-02-2014, 11:17 AM
Cheers for all these hints Sauron, it's much appreciated. I compared two images of the Thule vs Audi last night and reached the same conclusion aas you that the Audi was basically a re-badged Thule anyway. As long as they're safe, secure and pretty quick to fit I'll be happy.

Cool tip re securing the bikes. I've always got bike locks on me when I go biking and like you say, i always secure them against theft as best as possible. With it being on the roof however, for some reason, I thought it would be safe from harm when of course, it won't be. I'll give those folks at Roofracks a ring before ordering and do a bit more shopping around just in case they price match but I think I'm pretty comfortable now with the combo you recommend on here.

thanks again.