PDA

View Full Version : Question Audi a4 3.0tdi coolant temperature issue

nuty_bloke
02-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Hi, please help....I have an issue with my 2008 Audi a4 where the temperature gauge only ever reaches a quarter.

It warms up fast up to a quarter and if I'm stuck in a traffic jam then maybe goes slightly higher but never reaches half way - even in mild or long jouneys.

can anyone offer any advice on this??

Many Thanks
Nutz

sbt
02-02-2014, 08:44 PM
it sounds like your thermostat is stuck in the open position which means you have full flow of coolant all the time

nuty_bloke
02-02-2014, 09:09 PM
it sounds like your thermostat is stuck in the open position which means you have full flow of coolant all the time

Thanks sbt. If this is the case does anyone if its an expensive fix?

theskyfox
03-02-2014, 01:58 PM

If this is the case, be thankful it wasn't stuck in the closed position. Blown headgasget would follow along with an expensive head skim on the engine.

Get it checked out asap. Thermostat isn't an expensive part and the cost of replacement will be low (relative to the cost of a blown head gasget which would be £££££££).

-Andrew

nuty_bloke
03-02-2014, 08:12 PM
If this is the case, be thankful it wasn't stuck in the closed position. Blown headgasget would follow along with an expensive head skim on the engine.

Get it checked out asap. Thermostat isn't an expensive part and the cost of replacement will be low (relative to the cost of a blown head gasget which would be £££££££).

-Andrew

Thanks Andrew - going to have to get it booked in :(

mikeybutch
03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Does the heater work well and early ?If so the stat is OK and could be the coolant temp sensor which is a much easier fix

nuty_bloke
03-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Does the heater work well and early ?If so the stat is OK and could be the coolant temp sensor which is a much easier fix

Hi Mikey,

The heater works perfectly - and quick. The car seems to also warm up to a quarter quickly but never gets to half way..

Thanks
Nutz

Audi.Quattro
03-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Slightly odd, normally when they stick open the heater takes for ever to warm up?, so the sensor could be the culprit?

nuty_bloke
03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Slightly odd, normally when they stick open the heater takes for ever to warm up?, so the sensor could be the culprit?

Cheers - Hopefully this will be the case (fingers crossed!!)

mikeybutch
04-02-2014, 05:16 PM
If the sensor has failed it should show up on diagnostics but its a cheap easy fix anyway and common problem whereas stats are more reliable

lilpidge
12-03-2015, 01:00 PM
Did you get anywhere with this fault? Mine is doing the same (and therefore the on-board computer won't show me the oil level as it doesn't think the engine is warm enough!).
Everything else seems fine...my mechanic suggests it could be the temperature sender (digitiser) / thermostat.
Does anyone know where the engine block thermostat is located on the 3.0TDI engine?
Thanks!!