PDA

View Full Version : Question insurance

Les Norton
02-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Just got an Audi A4 TDI Estate 1999 and rang the insurance company, no charge on change of car from my C5 Estate 2004 but as i was talking to the girl she said from the registration number yes its an 1999 A4 Tdi Avanti estate audi quatro

Got me to thinking so i did a search on one of the parts companies and it gave me the choice of 2 cars

Audi Avanti A4 Tdi Estate 1999
or
Audi Avanti Quatro Tdi Estate 1999

Also the DVLA cost is slightly higher than my C5 Estate

Question i have is does the quatro name make a difference to insurance or tax classification - just a thought :o

rya4
02-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Tax goes on engine size/emissions and it probably makes a slight difference on insurance being a Quatro, not loads though. Most 2 door cars are more expensive to insure than their 4 door equivalent. I think they consider them sportier. its the same with saloons and estates, estates usually being the cheaper to insure.

Les Norton
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
Tax goes on engine size/emissions and it probably makes a slight difference on insurance being a Quatro, not loads though. Most 2 door cars are more expensive to insure than their 4 door equivalent. I think they consider them sportier than saloons and estates, estates usually being the cheaper to insure.

Both Cars my C5 was and estate diesel 5 door - bigger engine 2.2 by Audi is 1.9 diesel estate also 5 door so wouldn't think there would be much difference on renewal in a few months, not sure about emission difference with the C5 and the Audi - its the quatro bit that i was wondering about and if it maybe worth asking insurance brokers rather than doing a comparison on the net like i usually do

rya4
02-02-2014, 07:32 PM
you could try doing a quote on a non quatro 1.9tdi get the number plate off 1 from ebay and see the difference in price?
I think were paying about £450 a year insurance for me and the mrs, haven't taxed yet but im sure its £120-£130 for 6months for xreg(2000) 1.9 tdi a4 avant

Les Norton
02-02-2014, 07:39 PM
you could try doing a quote on a non quatro 1.9tdi get the number plate off 1 from ebay and see the difference in price?
I think were paying about £450 a year insurance for me and the mrs, haven't taxed yet but im sure its £120-£130 for 6months for xreg(2000) 1.9 tdi a4 avant

Ok on the tax will be interesting what happens in october when the taxation rules change and tax disc's disappear, wow you pay a lot for insurance unless thats for 2 cars or maybe your area, in Cumbria have never paid more than £230 fully comp plus i use a cash back site and got £54 cashback on last years insurance.
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/g4jnw1
Thats for myself and wife both on the insurance.