PDA

View Full Version : Q7 3.0 tdi (245) - something in cylinder

Gwhiting
01-02-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance. I have a Dec 2010 q7 tdi (of course just out of warranty), covered 72k miles, which last week blew an injector out by breaking the retaining bolt off.

ive had the injector and bolts on that bank replaced and the (independent) garage have reported a noise from the engine that they think is something loose in the cylinder - which probably bashed against the injector.

When I went and listened to the engine I realised I'd been hearing that noise for a few months (cringe) but just assumed it was normal... It's not that noticeable unless the bonnet is open and engine cover is off.

They've suggested I get shot of the car ASAP!!

so, questions...

1. What could have got into the cylinder?

2. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

3. Would it be feasible to remove the injector and somehow remove whatever is in the cylinder to prevent more damage and without stripping down the whole engine? Would it likely be a metallic item that a magnet could retrieve?

4. Any other thoughts?

ive already spent £650 with the initial fix (this is an independent garage at £45/hr plus vat and parts) as the broken bolt had to be removed from the rocker cover.

many thanks, G

Cockney Boy
01-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Take the injector out and get a camera in it