PDA

View Full Version : Rear bake pad change - hand brake question included...

IlovemyVW
25-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Hello everyone,

Looking to change the rear pads but I am a little confused regarding the handbrake cable....

Most of the posts I have read or the videos watched on the tube mention nothing of the hand brake cable but then I read a few posts mentioning the hand brake should be off and the cable disconnected?? Any suggestions if this is the case?

Also, if I am taking the lid off the master cylinder to release the pressure when squeezing the piston back via the rewind tool, does this brake fluid cause any issues or is this identicle to the process that occurs when the handbrake is not applied anyway??

Many thanks in advance.

zollaf
25-01-2014, 05:38 PM
leave the handbrake cables alone but loosen the bleed nipple to wind the pistons back so you don't send fluid back up the system and possibly cost yourself a new master cylinder and / or abs pump. take the lid off the resevoir and preferably have an assistant there with some brake fluid to keep it full. if you let it run dry then your day will be seriously ruined.

IlovemyVW
25-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Are you taking the hand brake off befor you start this job or leaving the hand brake on?

Im am wondering, if the hand brake is on, then the inner piston of the rear brake piston will be pushing out??

zollaf
25-01-2014, 08:07 PM
handbrake off.

IlovemyVW
26-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Thanks zollaf (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?72971-zollaf)

I have read that some people clamp the brake line to stop brake fluid going back in up the system and have the nipple open so that when you wind the piston back the pressure is release via the nipple only... None of the manuals specify anything about opening the nipple...

What do other people do?

Are we minimising damage via the pressure being created, or because of the risk of air and dirty brake fluid heading towards the master cylinder??

If I bleed all the brakes prior to swapping the pads and disks at the rear would I still need to worry about this issue when rewinding the piston in the caliper??

Many thanks in advance.

zollaf
26-01-2014, 03:43 PM
do not clamp the rear hoses on a mk4. they are braided an clamping them destroys them. just undo the nipple to let the fluid out. you don't have to, but if you dont you can destroy the master cylinder and or abs pump. bleed the brakes after by all means. it is not old fluid going back through the system that is the problem, just any fluid. this may not be in any manuals, i rarely use any manuals, just 25 years of working on cars has taught me these things.

Doctle Odd
26-01-2014, 07:32 PM
And some bitter experience in my case
do not clamp the rear hoses on a mk4. they are braided an clamping them destroys them. just undo the nipple to let the fluid out. you don't have to, but if you dont you can destroy the master cylinder and or abs pump. bleed the brakes after by all means. it is not old fluid going back through the system that is the problem, just any fluid. this may not be in any manuals, i rarely use any manuals, just 25 years of working on cars has taught me these things.

zollaf
26-01-2014, 07:38 PM
oh, plenty of that, and some nasty cuts.

Doctle Odd
26-01-2014, 09:01 PM
you left out the "n" :)
oh, plenty of that, and some nasty cuts.