PDA

View Full Version : Alternator belt replacement (tensioner)

Neolithian
11-09-2007, 04:26 PM
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea how to release the tension on the alternator belt tensioner ? I need to replace my belt, however after applying a bit of pressure directly on the tensioner, i have decided i dont have the guts to just risk springing the belt off. This comes down to me being dubious as to whether i can get the replacement belt back on with the existing pressure on the tensioner.

My question is this,

Is there an easy way to relieve some of the pressure from the tensioner so you can replace the alternator belt easier ?
If you have piccies or any links to someone who has done it, i'd be grateful :)

adamss24
11-09-2007, 10:07 PM
it will help if you let us know what car, year and engine you have !

Neolithian
12-09-2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,
Apologies - if i was blonde that would have been a moment ! :D
It is a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi 2005 earlier body style.

hayabusa-k6
11-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Change the belt from underneath the car. Get yerself a 16mm combo spanner and another to loop over the end to effectively lengthen the 16mm. Loop them together first then put it on the 16mm boss on the tensioner, holding the spanners as far forwards (to the front of the car) as you can. Keep the spanners as straight as possible and slowly push back till you can hold the spanner up to the driveshaft and loop your fingers round, which will relax your arm muscles. The old belt should come off easy now, starting from the crank pulley, and the new one put on, remembering to finish off at the crank pulley. Once its in place, gently let the tensioner return. Job done!