PDA

View Full Version : Considering buying new. Which options can be retrofit?

allanmb
19-01-2014, 10:21 PM
I am considering buying a brand new A4 and am not sure which options to go for as I am already over budget. Are any of these options able to be retrofitted? And if so, how would the price compare to the cost of the option.

Heated front seats: £300
Mobile Prep High: £350
Side window blind: £100
Storage Pack: £100
Through Load facility £165

These are in order of my preference.
Thanks
Allan

Zenerdiode
20-01-2014, 03:48 AM
You'll nearly always find it more cost-effective to spec at build; than to retrofit. All wiring looms in Audis are individual to the build, so if you do any electrical retrofits you either have miles of yellow wires or hope that somewhere like Kufatec do a harness for you.

Take your side window blinds. You already pay for door cards in your standard car. The door cards for the blinds have a slot plus internal mounting hardware for the blinds. At manufacture time of you car, the price difference for the cards will be negligible but you have to pay this again - in addition to the blinds and mounting hardware.

If you really want the extras, gasp a little as you dig a little deeper :)

TamboB8
20-01-2014, 11:41 AM
With most optional extras you are probably best to just pay from factory.

allanmb
20-01-2014, 11:51 AM
I thought that might be the case. What about the Mobile Prep High? Is that mostly a software option, or does it involve some components too?
Thanks

theskyfox
20-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I thought that might be the case. What about the Mobile Prep High? Is that mostly a software option, or does it involve some components too?
Thanks

Depends...what features specifically are you looking for? The basic phone prep (which I think is standard) lets you use your phone via the steering wheel/Radio and copies the address book into the car. A phone charger (12v to USB) can be found on certain auction sites for literally £3-4.

-Andrew

Crasher
20-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Almost anything can be retro fitted BUT you will always pay much more for a retro fit that is often substandard to factory fit. If you have the opportunity to buy new, take it as the best time to fit options.

Issac Hunt
20-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Thanks

Needs components, as you don't get the sim card slot with phone prep low.

allanmb
20-01-2014, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. As it turns out, I would have had to wait until July to get a car fitted out with exactly what I want so I opted for one they had coming in anyway. A mild compromise on some of the toys, but I can't wait! Hopefully it will be here next week :)