PDA

View Full Version : Question 2013 a4 2.0tdi (177ps) mpg

derekjspence
17-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Hi folks, new user here so sorry if this has been a topic used in the past.

Picked up my brand new A4 at the start of november. It's a 2.0TDI (177PS) S-Line Black Edition Saloon (manual). So far I have done 1400 miles. I have filled the tank up as below (35litres of diesel in tank when I collected the car):

Odometer - Fill up volume
194miles - 52.58litres
538miles - 53.84litres = 29.05MPG
952miles - 53.16litres = 35.40MPG
1347miles - 52.68litres = 34.09MPG

As this is a diesel, i would have expected a much higher MPG than this. A lot of my driving is in grid lock traffic (8mile round trip). I barely have the AC on and I rarely allow revs to exceed 2200rpm.
I contacted Audi with my figures and they said that it may take 5000miles before I get decent figures.
Before I bought this car, I test drove a 2.0TFSI and observed much better figures 57MPG in 5th gear, 30mph on flat road (S-Tronic).

Just wondering if anyone has experience of such low figures on there own, if driving in similar conditions.
Feel free to fish for more info if it helps answer this.

Cheers in advance.
Dodds

theskyfox
17-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Hi,

Just a couple of points worth mentioning:

1. Your milage is very low. At low mileage the car engines are still tight and it takes a while for everything to bed down. I got terrible MPG on my 3.0TDi for the first few tanks, then it started to improve...and has been getting better ever since. Your MPG at 5000 miles will be better than now, then at about 10k miles it will be even better than that...

2. Grid lock traffic will absolutely destroy your fuel economy in any diesel car. If you were doing these tests on a straight hour long run or so I am confident you would significantly improve your MPG.

3. Its winter and cold, getting good MPG in this weather is much harder for a number of reasons. Firstly the air is colder and more dense (containing more oxygen), so the engine has to burn more fuel to keep the mixture right. Next the engine is colder for longer and will so will run rich for longer. Finally the winter blend of fuel has additives in it to prevent it waxing at low temperature and reduces your MPG a bit more.

4. 2.0TFSI 57MPG is wishful thinking even on a good run =), the DIS has a habit of telling porkies...

In Conclusion...give it more time. The 2.0TDi 177 is hands down one of the best engines for fuel economy in the Audi range, and there are plenty of users here that can give you their average MPGs. The fact your car is a manual gearbox also saves you weight and will give you better MPG than the auto equivalents. Hope this helps a little, and congrats on the new car =)

-Andrew

derekjspence
17-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Hi,

Just a couple of points worth mentioning:

1. Your milage is very low. At low mileage the car engines are still tight and it takes a while for everything to bed down. I got terrible MPG on my 3.0TDi for the first few tanks, then it started to improve...and has been getting better ever since. Your MPG at 5000 miles will be better than now, then at about 10k miles it will be even better than that...

2. Grid lock traffic will absolutely destroy your fuel economy in any diesel car. If you were doing these tests on a straight hour long run or so I am confident you would significantly improve your MPG.

3. Its winter and cold, getting good MPG in this weather is much harder for a number of reasons. Firstly the air is colder and more dense (containing more oxygen), so the engine has to burn more fuel to keep the mixture right. Next the engine is colder for longer and will so will run rich for longer. Finally the winter blend of fuel has additives in it to prevent it waxing at low temperature and reduces your MPG a bit more.

4. 2.0TFSI 57MPG is wishful thinking even on a good run =), the DIS has a habit of telling porkies...

In Conclusion...give it more time. The 2.0TDi 177 is hands down one of the best engines for fuel economy in the Audi range, and there are plenty of users here that can give you their average MPGs. The fact your car is a manual gearbox also saves you weight and will give you better MPG than the auto equivalents. Hope this helps a little, and congrats on the new car =)

-Andrew

Andrew

What you are saying makes sense. It is quite rare right now to get the coolant temp above 70 before the commute is done so makes sense that the economy is not at its optimum. I really need to get a few good long runs into it and get the revs high now and then (as advised by Audi themselves). Will keep an eye on it in the next year (7000m/year) and hopefully see the MPG improve.
Thanks for the info on the Fuel additives, something I was never aware of before.
One thing to remember is that, 20-25 years ago, next to nobody had in-car computers or MPG calculators so we had no idea of how well the economy was (unless checking trip v fuel up). All has changed with increasing fuel prices (damned government) and more demand for greener vehicles...

Cheers again
Dodds

Audi.Quattro
17-01-2014, 02:45 PM
If its any consolation, it makes me feel better, in my 3.0, the last tank was 33.1mpg and that was mainly town stuff with some foot-down playing / getting used to the car stuff.

My previous 170 Superb was 42/43 in the winter months, mixed driving, but as said already, town stuff buggers it right up

derekjspence
17-01-2014, 03:26 PM
If its any consolation, it makes me feel better, in my 3.0, the last tank was 33.1mpg and that was mainly town stuff with some foot-down playing / getting used to the car stuff.

My previous 170 Superb was 42/43 in the winter months, mixed driving, but as said already, town stuff buggers it right up

Audi.Quattro

I am quite new to all this town driving. I'm from rural Orkney and have experience with previous versions of the A4 TDI (1.9TDIi 110 and 1.9TDI 145). THey are fantastic and usually achieve 52 - 56MPG. All this stop-start driving certainly drops the figures. That and probably the inclusion of quattro, which we didn't have on other cars.

bigslope
17-01-2014, 04:40 PM
Yip, my 3.0 beast averages around 34-36 on my daily 25 mile trip to work but worth it with the smile it puts on my face.

Your 177 will get better but Audi lie with their mpg claims

derekjspence
17-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Yip, my 3.0 beast averages around 34-36 on my daily 25 mile trip to work but worth it with the smile it puts on my face.

Your 177 will get better but Audi lie with their mpg claims

bigslope

I don't doubt that many companies lie about their figures, I am prepared for a little discrepancy. Always the fall back that the tests are carried out in controlled conditions over a short distance (very few variables). The 2.0 has good go but I would have defo gone for the V6 if I had the extra dosh available...

markp306
17-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Before I bought this car, I test drove a 2.0TFSI and observed much better figures 57MPG in 5th gear, 30mph on flat road (S-Tronic).

With respect....I don't know what you were looking at, but it wasn't the journey average mpg. No chance in a petrol Audi.

Btw, make sure you do some long runs from time to time to clear out the DPF if you are mainly doing short trips.

SattyA4
18-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Hi, Ive got an 2010 A4 2.0 Tdi (143) Auto Avant S line (28k on the clock). I do a round trip of 15 miles to work roughly, town driving and a dual carriage way. My DIS averages around 32 Mpg. My older A4 2008 A4 1.8t manual S line B8 (Over 100k on the clock) averages around 30mpg on the same journey. Ive only had my 2010 A4 for around a month and I hope the 32mpg will go up!

Issac Hunt
18-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Mine hovers around 35mpg, pretty poor. I almost wish I bought petrol instead.

It's pretty bad show from audi, friend has a 330d that is better on fuel.

It's a great car but 45+mpg would make it a brilliant car.

Chris0139
19-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Hi there
I'm glad its not just me!
I went from a 59 plate 318d M-Sport BMW to my current 62 plate Audi A4 2.0TDI (143) Black Edition last January.
I work nationally and the vast majority of my mileage is motorway/A-road.
The beemer was returning around 55-60mpg when it went back - which made it a real shock when I was only getting 35-40mpg out of the Audi at first!
The Audi now has just over 49k on the clock and my last full tank average was 51mpg with careful considered driving.
While I know the official Audi figure of 63mpg is a dream, I had hoped for a little better than I'm getting really.
Will certainly think carefully before opting for another Audi again in the future.

JPSingh
01-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Hi
I bought an March 2013 Audi A4 143 SE Multitronic in November 2013 which had done 10500 miles. I have been getting only 29.7 MPG since then against specified 56 mpg. I have contacted Audi and the car has been with them for 3 times. The dealer has not found any fault. I do approximately 30 miles in a day which involves a mix of city and motorway driving.
Just wondering if you have any views on this low mpg.

audia4slineblac
01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Hello,
I have just bought an Audi A4 2.0 (177) S line Black Edition, I was told by the salesman. It I would see 48+ mpg, which is better than my 2008 143.
After driving it home I was surprised that the mpg was just 40mpg.
Went from Paignton to Plymouth at 70 mph and it struggled to get past 45mpg. I haven't a lead foot either.
Will see what get going to work this week. My old 143 I could get 36 - 37 mpg on my commute.
audia4slineblac

palmerj
01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
There are lies, down right lies and MPG figures.
Look up what a manufacturer has to do get these figures and you can see why they are no where near real world driving figures.
I have a black edition 2.0 TDI (177PS) and driving gently I can get mid to high 40's on a good run no problem, sometimes into the low 50's through the motorway road works!

My rule of thumb take the manufacturers mpg and subtract about 10 to 15 mpg and that's you real mpg. Mine certainly fits that.

palmerj
01-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Just thought, if you asked specifically what the MPG was going to give and can get no where near it. Take it back and say your rejecting the car under the sale of goods act as it does not meet the advertised and quoted mpg figures and you purchased the car based on that. See what they say and how they squirm, good Saturday afternoon entertainment

allanmb
01-02-2014, 09:23 PM
This is an interesting read as I have just bought a brand new 177PS TDI Quattro Manual. My old car was a B7 A4 3.2 Quattro manual which combined mpg was quoted as 26.6, and I achieved 24.8.

I opted for the 177 as it seemed to be a very good balance between oomph and efficiency (technical term ;) ). I haven't filled up yet but have been a little disappointed to see only ever getting around 35mpg on the DIS albeit only town driving so far. The car has just ticked over 150 miles so it's very early days but I would hope by 1000-2000 miles that the efficiency gets much better.

One thing I have noticed is that hitting the turbo *really* chews through the fuel, and I don't mean foot-down red-lining, I mean fairly easy smooth acceleration hitting up to approx 2250 revs max. This means I think that town driving is going to be disappointing but I am hoping that motorway driving will be better...

Also, just to add, I read through my manual and it says to run the engine in, not going above 2/3 revs for the first 1000km. It would have been nice of the salesperson to say that as I don't expect many people will read the manual, and might just floor it very early on...

Anyway, it may be a few weeks before I have a couple of fill-ups to my name so I will use my FuelLog to calculate the actual mpg use and hopefully it will improve... otherwise I won't be a happy chappy!

markp306
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
I have a black edition 2.0 TDI (177PS) and driving gently I can get mid to high 40's on a good run no problem, sometimes into the low 50's through the motorway road works!

Yes, pretty much same for me.
FWD not quattro.

Niko
02-02-2014, 11:57 AM
My 3rd B8 A4 and I would say 177 is marginally more economical than 143 and 170. I believe 177 has a slightly smaller tank and I get roughly same mileage to a full tank, 645.

At new I was seeing 62 mpg over the exact same commute to work, 25 miles. The winter takes 12 mpg off so I now see 51 ish when I arrive. The car is getting no better in terms of mpg, at new I was happy with late 50's, if anything I reckon the mpg is a little worse than when brand new. Wife has a new Seat Leon 105 DSG, fab car and it costs £25 to run to Stoke and back, around 300 miles, my A4 does same journey at £33. 660 out of a tank in summer, 620 in winter

allanmb
02-02-2014, 03:11 PM
I just did a small test. I warmed the engine up first around town, reset the mpg and did a 30 mile jaunt on flat motorway using cruise control the whole way at 70mph. It was just me and my 3 year old in the car, there was a bit of wind but the journey was to Durham and back so if it was against us one way it would have been in our favour the other way. Anyway, the DIS read only 39.8mpg which is very disappointing. As I said before, the car is brand new and still has under 200 miles on the clock so I hope it improves, vastly!

Issac Hunt
02-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Get ready for more disappointment! It won't improve by much, I can't get mine above 43 mpg no matter how gently I drive it.

eob
02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Get ready for more disappointment! It won't improve by much, I can't get mine above 43 mpg no matter how gently I drive it.

I have a 143ps and this is exactly the same as my story. Very disappointing, especially when my last 2.0TDi 170PS would happily return 50+.

*Edit* I should probably add that I'm at 28,000 miles from new.

Boy
02-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Perhaps you boys with low mileage cars need to trade them in for cars that have been run in! My 143 S line saloon has a long term MPG of 51.3 on DIS and although that may be optimistic, I am sure it is not too a off.
Done 146k now.

eob
02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Perhaps you boys with low mileage cars need to trade them in for cars that have been run in! My 143 S line saloon has a long term MPG of 51.3 on DIS and although that may be optimistic, I am sure it is not too a off.
Done 146k now.

So the engine is nice and loose, but so too are all the suspension components. ;)
Only joking, I'm sure it's not even run in yet.

Unfortunately, I'll not get to see that many miles in mine.
Company car you see, it will be taken off me at 45k. I've actually put more on it this year than I usually do, so I run the risk of having it taken before the 3 year lease is up and getting a manky pool car. :scared:

allanmb
02-02-2014, 09:15 PM
I just found this which would suggest that for the first few tanks we should be maintaining small-medium revs for the first few tanks. Perhaps 2000-2500 rpm as much as possible? If this is likely to affect the engine long-term I would expect to be told when buying a new car....

http://www.audi.com.au/au/brand/en/service/audi_service/tips_and_tricks/running.html

I really hope mine improves vastly otherwise I will be bringing it up with Audi.

Issac Hunt
02-02-2014, 09:21 PM
I really hope mine improves vastly otherwise I will be bringing it up with Audi.

You might get a 5-10% improvement as the miles increase. I wouldn't bank on it though.

I wouldn't waste your time going back to audi - they won't care, you'll just get the usual line that the published mpg figures are not guaranteed and they are only for comparison purposes between different models.

Just accept you've got a great car and enjoy driving it, that's what I've done and I don't really monitor the mpg anymore.

allanmb
02-02-2014, 11:00 PM
You might get a 5-10% improvement as the miles increase. I wouldn't bank on it though.

I wouldn't waste your time going back to audi - they won't care, you'll just get the usual line that the published mpg figures are not guaranteed and they are only for comparison purposes between different models.

Just accept you've got a great car and enjoy driving it, that's what I've done and I don't really monitor the mpg anymore.

In my last A4, my average mpg over 60,000 miles was between the urban and combined figures although it was closer to the combined. So far, I am well under the urban figure so that is no comparison if my new car continues to give me similar figures.

If the new car gets 10% better I would be just happy enough to take no further action as I would be just under the urban figure. If it doesn't improve by that much then I will take action, whether that be legal or just word of mouth, then so be it.

I am wondering at this stage, what is the variation of their tests and which figure to they publish? I mean, if it is the average engine specs that they publish then they have a huge variation. If it is the best figure they obtained then it is more understandable, but can they publish the best figure?

I wonder if they would accept my car to run through their test facility? I doubt it, but it would be interesting to find the result...

eob
03-02-2014, 07:21 AM

They don't care.
I went back to them with this and another two issues (Big hole under the avant rear bumper and dodgy paint finish) and their attitude was "That's what they are like!"
I also had to bring up an issue at the first service with the brakes and got similar. Not very impressed with customer service.
I think that based on this experience, this will be my first and last Audi.

*Edit* And don't get me started about the glovebox light. Lol. :D

allanmb
04-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Turns out the 177 Quattro is one of the poorest cars to achieve mileage compared to the manufacturers quoted figure. Looks like 41mpg is about all we can expect from other's experience.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/audi/a4-b8-2008/20-tdi-177ps-quattro

My old A4 was 90% of the quoted figure. New A4 is only 74% that, to me, is not representative.

Issac Hunt
04-02-2014, 11:08 PM
It's pretty rubbish, it's a great car other than that! I'd say 41 is about right, you'll never average 50 in it.

Poor show from audi when my friends 330d is almost 10mpg better than a 2.0 audi.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but it could have been better!

Audi.Quattro
05-02-2014, 09:21 AM
A couple of BMW owner drivers at work, "both guys drive fast", get way better mpg's than I can, even if I drive like a old fart I can't match them.

I completely agree that Audi are serious <liars> about the MPG's, They claimed my current 3.0TDI was 1mpg better (combined) than the previous CR170 vehicle, but it's actually @6 or 7mpg worse, that's 8 less than claimed, or 17% worse.

That said, I got <very> loads more grip and when I'm at the lights, it sure puts smiles on my face.

theskyfox
06-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Thats so pony. I can understand peoples frustration. I can get 40-42mpg (Real-world calculated) on a decent run in my 3.0TDi. And I don't drive like a girl!

-Andrew

It's pretty rubbish, it's a great car other than that! I'd say 41 is about right, you'll never average 50 in it.

Poor show from audi when my friends 330d is almost 10mpg better than a 2.0 audi.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the car but it could have been better!

richlean
09-02-2014, 09:29 PM
There's a German site which is very useful for comparing what other people manage. Not sure whether the link will work:

http://www.spritmonitor.de/de/uebersicht/3-Audi/21-A4.html?fueltype=1&constyear_s=2011&constyear_e=2014&power_s=175&power_e=180&minkm=5000&gearing=1&powerunit=2

That's for a 177PS manual. The very best guys average 47 overall. Average is 38.6.