PDA

View Full Version : A7 specs

willie ralston
16-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Hi guys, new member here and looking at getting an A7 sometime soon. Don't want to get rid of my B7 RS4 and also the wife's A3 but have to think sensible! My RS4 is just a Sunday car and with a little 16mth old, I thought an A7 would be a better family car!!

Anyway, have been thinking on an S-Line 245bhp Quattro, in either black or Daytona or Quartz grey, 20" segment alloys and a pretty high spec.

I was looking at a few photos from dealers websites and wondered what the keypad with numbers 1-6 on the centre console is for? I've seen some with it and some without, what spec is this part of?

I'll think of other questions as I go along!

Cheers
Willie

Wippa
16-01-2014, 07:12 PM
The keypad has different uses. When using the radio, for example, its your 6 favourite stations stored in the system. However when you use nav, it becomes a drawing pad. So rather than using the click wheel to select letters, you draw the letters on the trackpad.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

M1tchy
16-01-2014, 08:07 PM
As above its a touch pad basically. press the 1-6 for your radio stations or draw on it to input info. Its standard on all A7s (as far as im aware) in the 1-6 button mode only. If you want to be able to draw on it, you need to spec MMI Touch.

silo24
16-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Bear in mind there are two different keypads dependent on the Navigation version you have.

Normal Nav has 6 physical buttons. HD Nav has a touchpad with 6 virtual buttons that light up when available.

I'm guessing the cars you've seen without it actually have the higher spec navigation.

Sauron
16-01-2014, 09:03 PM
Also note that the normal Nav (with buttons) also has the smaller MMI screen which IMHO just doesn't quite do the overall feel justice.

willie ralston
17-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks guys, so reading your replies as I understand it, the basic keypad will have 1-6 there in white numbers like just like normal switches in the car and the MMI touch keypad is blank and will light up when the car is going/ignition on?
Quite a few have their ignitions on for the photos so it's kinda hard to tell which spec they are if not stated! The audi search (and also autotrader descriptions) sometimes seem vague for spec, just depends what details they put in when they list a car I suppose!
Any other clues to higher specs just by looking at the pics if they're not listed in the description? I see the what I presume is the heads up display button the dash?
I've quite a distance to travel for any car, but not afraid to go for one I like, but like to be certain before I go!!

willie ralston
17-01-2014, 01:39 AM
I've seen a few with lights in the lower front bumper, is it fog lights or fancy lights from a higher spec?

Sauron
17-01-2014, 08:03 AM
willie

Visual ways of telling the basic Nav: 2 horizontal bars between fixed buttons on the key pad and the small MMI screen if out.

If tech pack is listed then you will have the MMI Nav plus and HUD and mobile phone prep high. Visually the HUD is a box around 8 inches square and 2 inches deep between the speedo/tachometer cluster and the windscreen.

The fog lights are integrated within the main headlight cluster (either Xenon or full LED) the fog lights you are referring to are actually the sensors for the Adaptive Cruise Control. This can be added individually or as part of various packs that include all or elements of ACC, Side Assist (blind spot monitoring) and the various pre-sense stopping aides. The ACC sensors in themselves don't paint the full picture but Tech pack advanced should include: MMI Nav, HUD, phone prep high, ACC, side assist, lane assist and from 12 model year folding mirrors. Folding mirrors are a good thing as this is a big car! Be aware that model year can change what comes with the various packs so still worth checking - my advice download the PDFs for the various model years you are interested in to make sure. Also be aware that the permutations are, as I'm sure you have already realised, numerous and many independents will claim something that isn't on the car ( I saw cars without the sensors claiming ACC) or standard kit as an option.

Another couple of visual cues to spec:
4-zone climate only 2 knobs and digital read out in front console (and if pictures of back seat present then knobs in back on centre console). For heated rear seats you'll need to see the switches on the rear 4-zone controller.

For park assist there are sensors (like the standard reversing warning sensors) on the sides of the front and rear bumper. In terms of switches it's the second from the left in the row above the climate control. If the switch is blank then no park assist but see attached photo (it has a P and a circle like symbol).

For various cameras (reversing, side view etc) I think you'll need to see it on a picture of the MMI screen unless anyone can advise otherwise?

Hope this helps and please come back if you have any additional questions.

willie ralston
17-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Thanks Sauron, some good info there and helped me understand a bit better!

keep the info coming!

Sauron
17-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Willie

just updated previous post with some additional info.

M1tchy
17-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Not to take anything from Sauron but a picture paints a thousand words. So, here is my picture....

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/2a87c254-6ac5-4b07-811c-41dedafc2c08_zps765cfdc3.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/2a87c254-6ac5-4b07-811c-41dedafc2c08_zps765cfdc3.jpg.html)

So just from looking at the car you can tell a great deal about it spec.
Firstly is the Dark blue on the bottom left (there is one on the right too), they are the sensors for the adaptive cruise.
Green - there are two black areas on the inside of the wing mirrors this is blind spot monitoring
Orange - Active lane assist camera (also does traffic sign recognition if specified)
Aqua (under the orange) - High beam assist camera
Yellow - Behind the right hand Audi ring is the night vision camera
Red - The front view camera (also does the corner camera view for front left and right)
Pink - All LED headlights

And here is the picture before modifying so you can see it without my colouring all over it!
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/IMG_2061_zpsa26620ee.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/IMG_2061_zpsa26620ee.jpg.html)

Next one is inside...
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/aeebd710-f0de-4a49-a903-7c6461d993cf_zpsbb5001f6.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/aeebd710-f0de-4a49-a903-7c6461d993cf_zpsbb5001f6.jpg.html)

Red - the approximate size of the smaller screen. Cant remember what you need to spec for the larger one
Blue - the left and right blue smudges are SD card slots, the centre one is an SIM card slot.
Pink - Heated seats
You can also just about see the HUD on the dash above the steering wheel. Also the screen is in night vision mode, that what it looks like.

And the image before drawing on it...
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/9E53332A-D4F1-4CBB-987C-2EE4AE97B797_zpsbesg3p3g.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/9E53332A-D4F1-4CBB-987C-2EE4AE97B797_zpsbesg3p3g.jpg.html)

Also there are two types of climate system, duel zone and quad one. The first is Duel, the next is Quad....
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/21CE0813-78D8-4A96-9EF1-9C9F65D76E4C-902-000000C4F79CDCEA_zps9a0b5ce8.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/21CE0813-78D8-4A96-9EF1-9C9F65D76E4C-902-000000C4F79CDCEA_zps9a0b5ce8.jpg.html)

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af211/mitchy1408/0BE90FEB-C623-4705-BB8D-BF9AACE45527-902-000000C5164703C9_zpsedb040f3.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/mitchy1408/media/0BE90FEB-C623-4705-BB8D-BF9AACE45527-902-000000C5164703C9_zpsedb040f3.jpg.html)

Think thats about it. Anything else just ask.

willie ralston
19-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Cheers m1tchy, great info there!

willie ralston
02-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Had a test drive at Glasgow audi today, think I'm even more hooked on getting an a7 now!! It was the branch managers Daytona grey black pack Quattro with a very high spec, can't stop raving about it! Everything about it ticked the boxes for me, apart from the fact I couldn't afford it!!!
Just need to get the RS sold and keep looking for the right one, at the right price, but think Daytona is the colour for me!
M1tchy, when you selling....?!!!

M1tchy
02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Er if I sell this car before it is a rusty old wreck that falls apart the wife will probably execute me. Sorry! I would want to sell it anyway it's amazing - buy one lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sauron
02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Had a test drive at Glasgow audi today, think I'm even more hooked on getting an a7 now!! It was the branch managers Daytona grey black pack Quattro with a very high spec, can't stop raving about it! Everything about it ticked the boxes for me, apart from the fact I couldn't afford it!!!
Just need to get the RS sold and keep looking for the right one, at the right price, but think Daytona is the colour for me!
M1tchy, when you selling....?!!!

If you're looking second hand I think lots more coming onto the market now so I'm sure you'll find something, otherwise DTD seems to feature here prominently. In the meantime happy hunting.

M1tchy
02-02-2014, 11:37 PM
I got mine through DTD. Well worth a quote if nothing else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie ralston
08-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Aye, unfortunately it'll need to be a 2nd hand one, just need to sell the rs4 first as the trade in price I was offered wasn't very pleasing to hear!! Hopefully there will be a Daytona black pack Quattro that'll come up soon at the right price.....just need to keep my eyes peeled!!

species8472
18-02-2014, 02:13 PM
I went from 2010 A4 S-Line TFSI Quatrro to New A7 S-Line TDI Quattro 245Hp 2013 and have never looked back. Amazing car and I absolutely love it. Performance, Efficiency, practicality - and of course the looks!!. Part of the reason I switched was that I was about to have a new little baby girl and wanted more practicality with the A7 Hatchback boot. I can confirm through my experience that it is a great family car too. Boot basically swallows prams, baby stuff etc not problem. This would not have been possible with the A4. I also got Lucky as when I purchased Audi were having trouble shifting A7's so I got a great deal from the ********.

I was on their mailing list and went to a promotional event they invited me to and was originally after another A4. When I walked in I coincidentally bumped into the manager and he asked me what car I was interested in. I jokingly said i'd love an A7 but couldn't afford one. Manager told me he had to shift 7 A7's over the promotional period but had only sold 2 (I knew him as had purchased from them previously). After quite a bit of talk and calculations/negotiations over a few weeks I signed on the dotted line. I had to go for Audi Finance but it worked out cheaper per month than an A4! I checked independently with another dealer who was not doing the promotion and was amazed at the difference.

I didn't go for any of the assistance packs but did go for Tech Pack, 20in Alloys, Privacy Glass, Bose and Reverse Camera. Only regret was not getting 4 Zone climate control as sometimes it gets a bit chilly in the back from the baby.
Hope this helps someone!

Furillo
18-02-2014, 10:00 PM
If you go via Approved Audi check out if the 2 yr free service offer still available. Remember even if cash buyer you can take finance out to get the servicing and then withdraw from agreement.

willie ralston
18-02-2014, 11:21 PM
My RS4 is in for a service just now and Glasgow Audi have given me an A7 s-line out for a courtesy car! Don't know I managed to swing that one!! Anyway it's brilliant to get more of a play and feel for the A7, it's 140miles home from Glasgow so was a good run down the road yesterday!! So comfy and relaxing to drive, a complete opposite to the usual drive home with the RS4!!
It's not a Quattro though but spec wise it's got everything I'd like, so it's great to fiddle about with it!
I WANT ONE NOW!!!

willie ralston
18-02-2014, 11:23 PM
If you go via Approved Audi check out if the 2 yr free service offer still available. Remember even if cash buyer you can take finance out to get the servicing and then withdraw from agreement.

thats interesting to know to do it that way, did see a few with that offer on, but didn't know whether I could haggle it in to a cash deal too!

Furillo
19-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Yep lots on info on forum re how to do it. I did it before Xmas. Withdrew from finance agreement after one day. Cost me £5 and then paid loan off in full. Still keep the 2 yr free servicing. Key issue is make sure use phrase "withdraw from agreement" and do it day after signing up. Be careful salesman might not like it as they get commission on finance deals. My guy was fine with it but his colleague not so happy.