PDA

View Full Version : Remapping

Tommy_Quattro
15-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Hey,

I've got a A4 3.0 TDI S line and I've been thinking about getting it remapped from 204 BHP to 265 BHP. Is it worth doing? Has anyone had it done? and what's people experience with a remap?

Thanks

Tom

darich
17-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Had my 2.0Tfsi petrol remapped.
Instantly noticeable....I mean before I had even reached 10mph and I wasn't driving hard.
Economy over around 2 years was around 28mpg which is comparable to any other A4 2.0Tfsi without a remap....but I had the extra oomph.
Loved it.

JimC64
17-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Hey,

I've got a A4 3.0 TDI S line and I've been thinking about getting it remapped from 204 BHP to 265 BHP. Is it worth doing? Has anyone had it done? and what's people experience with a remap?

Thanks

Tom

IMO....Yes, do it for sure.

Just make sure you get a good remap company, one you can trust and get it done, probably around £300 and the benfits are instantly noticeable.

I've had 3 cars remapped now.

Saab 93 1.9Tdi Vector Sport from 150bhp to 176bhp
Ford Mondeo 2.2d ST Tdci from 155bhp to 195bhp
Audi A6 2.0Tdi from 140 bhp to 176 bhp

All were instantly noticeable in the power band, much more drievable and sporty when you chose to use it, but when driven normally you can gain around 10% - 15% on fuel economy.

My A6 was extremely poor in 1st gear, bordering on dangerous even but the remapped helped that enormously. Recently during some mpg testing I was doing I managed 795.5 miles from one tank but I'm sure it could've been better, as not all of it was on the same day / same run or even all motorway!

During that time at one point I even saw 64.1mpg for a brief time and averaged approx 50mpg for the tank

The ting is, do you want it for the extra power / economy or both?
How long do you intend to keep the car and how many miles do you do?

If you intend to keep the car for say another 3 years and do 20k miles per year and mostly drive fairly normally, maybe with a few blasts thrown in for example, it may be that the remap pays for itself in that time.............or just get it done for fun and reap whatever mpg benefits you get in the time you own the car...lol

Hope it helps

Good luck

Tommy_Quattro
17-01-2014, 05:19 PM
Defiantly going to looking into this properly now and go and get some quotes. I'll Probably keep the car another 4/5 years and do about 15,000 miles a year (probs less). Only thing i'm concerned about is putting more strain on an engine that's already done 100,000 miles.

JimC64
17-01-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm now at approaching 110k miles and I had mine remapped more or less from new, probably around 2000 miles in.

I haven't had any engine issues relating to the remap and am still on the original clutch etc.

If its been well serviced / looked after I'd say you probably won't have any issues, but as usual with these mods you do want to make sure all is well, as it may bring already existing smaller issues to the surface.

Probably the biggest concern IMO would be the clutch........Has that been replaced? Is it original, if so it may be likely to go a little sonner than it normally would depending on driving style, but it'll be getting to that point anyway.

By the by, I haven't worked out the fgures but assuming £300 for a remap and assuming 60k - 75k and generally driving normally with a good amount of motorway miles thrown in for good measure, I'd say you could expect to recoup the cost of the remap, with potential fuel savings.

I'm sure those more knowledable than I or with mechanical experience will chime in their thoughts.

Good luck

Ruairi83
17-01-2014, 08:21 PM
Do it you won't regret it. I've had 4 cars done now. Even my dad took his 2013. B8 black edition to get done and said he will get every car done from here on in...

ray38carp
18-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Just had mine done, it makes the car feel totally different now, it's ace,, Blair at cheshire Autotech did it for me, the pull on the car is amazing.
get it done!!!!