PDA

View Full Version : Multitronic problems

St Andrew
14-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Hi All...My car is a B7 2005 A4 avant 174K Driving home from work the car developed a really heavy judder on driving away. At 60 mph the car ran fine. After pulling off the motorway the car lost drive and the engine management light came on. I got towed home and was able to drive my car into the driveway. The revs when driving were a little eratic revving but not going accelerating. What is worst case scenario if I have to replace gearbox how much is it likely to cost to repair? Could it be anything other than the gearbox?

Thanks for your help.

Guest 2
14-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Get a fault code scan done first, could be something simple.

When was the multitronic fluid last done? Should be done every 40k.

St Andrew
14-01-2014, 10:36 PM
The gear oil and a new filter were fitted and changed at Audi @ 160k car was serviced by audi 2 weeks ago has a full service history and was running fine until today.

Guest 2
14-01-2014, 10:39 PM
get a fault scan, don't assume anything until you do so.

St Andrew
14-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks I will let you know what happens!

Crasher
14-01-2014, 11:04 PM
You are panicking yourself over the gearbox, if the engine MIL came on the chances are it is an engine issue and not transmission and from your description the cylinder head wiring harness springs to mind. I know its easy for me to say it but until the car has been scanned for codes it could be ANYTHING, mild or wild, so don't instantly think you need a new gearbox. If you did, at Audi genuine prices you would be looking for a new car!

St Andrew
16-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Had the car in at Audi who checked it over and I towed it back home tonight. Confirmation of what i feared needs a new gearbox, drive plate and is basically goosed quoted nearly 6.5k for repair on the invoice it states customer declined work! It has been a fantastic car until tuesday with 170 k i cant complain to much but thought the box may have seen a bit more life. What surprised me most of how sudden it broke without any real warning. I would like to say a real thanks to all who helped and offered me advice on the forum it was really appreciated. Best Wishes

Crasher
17-01-2014, 11:46 AM
It will be possible to repair it for much less than that, if you sell it as it is it will be back on the road within a fortnight with a repaired box, a mega valet and half the mileage on the clocks....

St Andrew
19-01-2014, 08:50 PM
I am sure you are correct Crasher but repair was way beyond my capabilities I will miss the car it was great. what next im not sure ??

mikeybutch
20-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Sad to hear this and constantly bemused as to why Audi could market this auto.Surely they have some responsibilty

Crasher
20-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Surely the people who designed and manufactured it have some responsibility to and they do up to a point but that point is passed at 3 years on paper and maybe a year or so after that if the car stays within the network but not nearly 9 years. When I was 11 our retired next door neighbours bought an Allegro Vandem Plas automatic and when it was one and a half years old and very few miles on it, the gearbox failed, which they often did, and the owners had to pay for a new one. Nowadays you would be covered for at least 3 years and 100K miles and possibly a lot more under good will. I do wonder how long people actually think a warranty should be....

mikeybutch
20-01-2014, 05:33 PM
It just seems to me that Audis have been marketed with the implication that they are not like cars I remember from the 60s and70s.This is such a common story that there should have been a warning that they are liable to implode and need scrapping just a lot of BLs did.Not so much a warranty issue as a moral and reputational one

Crasher
20-01-2014, 08:10 PM
If they fixed all the Multichronics that went wrong they would also be looking at fixing other nasty 100K mile + issues like balancer shafts and it would be a good footnote in their history, something like this "in 20XX the VAG group of companies went bust because they fixed all the nasty problems on high mileage cars over 5 years old", it would be laudable but financial suicide.

zollaf
20-01-2014, 08:14 PM
It just seems to me that Audis have been marketed with the implication that they are not like cars I remember from the 60s and70s.This is such a common story that there should have been a warning that they are liable to implode and need scrapping just a lot of BLs did.Not so much a warranty issue as a moral and reputational one
the po's gearbox failed at 174k. how many cars from the 70's or 80's could get to that sort of mileage and only have one new gearbox.

mikeybutch
21-01-2014, 11:54 AM
the po's gearbox failed at 174k. how many cars from the 70's or 80's could get to that sort of mileage and only have one new gearbox.I think that there are a few in Cuba

Crasher
21-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Yeh, lovely Ladas, GAZ's, Zaporozhets and Moskovichessness

http://experientialadventure.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/car.jpg

mikeybutch
21-01-2014, 03:31 PM
If they fixed all the Multichronics that went wrong they would also be looking at fixing other nasty 100K mile + issues like balancer shafts and it would be a good footnote in their history, something like this "in 20XX the VAG group of companies went bust because they fixed all the nasty problems on high mileage cars over 5 years old", it would be laudable but financial suicide.With annual profits of over 9 billion euros I think they could afford to make some contribution without noticing the cost .More likely they think they can just get away with it cos most are fooled by their propaganda.

Crasher
21-01-2014, 04:54 PM
That is gross profit, not NET and it is the bag of worms it would open as setting a precedent over other contentious issues. Look at the kerfuffle when GM Europe introduced that lifetime warranty idea, it nearly broke GM Europe and it was quietly to to bed.

mikeybutch
21-01-2014, 06:53 PM
The 9 billion was in 2011 50% up from 2010.Up again first 6mos of 2012 to 6 billion probably much more last year.I am just saying they could either warn buyers of these faults or do the right thing when they happen causing catastrophic losses.

Crasher
21-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Why should Audi pay up when they don't make the gearbox? Look at it this way, you are a successful business owner making premium products that are extremely successful returning excellent profits, but to make one of your products you have to buy in a sub assembly that is fundamental to its operation as to develop your own would not be cost effective, making the product too expensive for your customers to buy. This product comes from another manufacturer who will give you a warranty of a pre determined time, say three years, from when you sell the finished product. Then when your product is years out of yours and the third parties warranty it develops a known fault, would you want to pay out of your pocket?

mikeybutch
21-01-2014, 08:27 PM
If Audi want to take action against their suppliers that's up to them but if they sell it on to their buyers they have a duty to them if they imply that their quality is extraordinary and when in some instances its not they should take some responsibility rather than only protect their high profits.I have just done the annual Which car survey and I hope that this sort of feed back warns others that some Audis are waiting to bite their owners hard in their wallets.Trust my 2.5tdi Q isn't listening!

zollaf
21-01-2014, 10:01 PM
but they cover it for 3 years, what more do you want. if you want a warranty, buy a car thats brand new or buy a warranty. if you want to smoke around in a top end quality motor, then pay the price if it breaks. simples.
incidentally, kia and i think hyundai offer a 7 year warranty, and vauxhall offer a lifetime warranty, so if you want trouble free motoring then there are options. i wonder why not everyone buys these then ? why buy an audi thats only got 3 years and may fail costing you thousands ? thats right, because you want to drive an audi and don't want a piece of crap kia.

pule333
08-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi All...My car is a B7 2005 A4 avant 174K Driving home from work the car developed a really heavy judder on driving away. At 60 mph the car ran fine. After pulling off the motorway the car lost drive and the engine management light came on. I got towed home and was able to drive my car into the driveway. The revs when driving were a little eratic revving but not going accelerating. What is worst case scenario if I have to replace gearbox how much is it likely to cost to repair? Could it be anything other than the gearbox?

Thanks for your help.

Hi. Unfortunately chances are it's the gear box!:( happened to me few month ago. Fortunately for me I had extended warranty with motorway direct.
My gearbox was beyond repair. NEW unit from Audi cost .... Wait for it....... Wait for it..... £5500. How I know? I called them myself in disbelief when the garage told me that repair bill comes to £6200 and warranty only cover first £3000 per claim... So I was facing a hefty £3200 bill.!
So what I did was spoke with warranty company I said I can find a used gearbox and would like them to pay for it instead + labour ofcourse.. Result!!! They agreed. Found a gear box for £860 delivered straight to garage where the car was and few weeks later had my car back with a cheque in the post to reimburse me for the gearbox and only had to pay £50 excess fee. So my advice is, in the worst case scenario, find a used one, make sure it has the same code and comes with ECU (£800 from audi) and fit it at Indy garage of your choice... Ofcourse that if you don't have extended warranty... And don't forget to service the multi tropic every 40k
Good luck!

Crasher
08-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Personally there is no way I would will fit a second hand gearbox any more and I now refuse to do one for a customer unless they supply the box (as you have done) and sign a disclaimer absolving me of all responsibility if something should go wrong. I have been doing this job for 34 years and the number of times a second hand gearbox has caused me or someone I know nightmares is ridiculous. You may get lucky, you may not and with a gearbox notorious for problems at low mileage.........