PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Audi A3 1.6tdi coolant loss

Mccandless111
14-01-2014, 08:47 PM
I hope I've put this in the right place but I have a coolant loss problem that I'm struggling to solve. I recently bought an Audi A3 2012 model 1.6tdi just over a year old with 37k on the clock. Thinks it's been a reps car. Bought it from a reputable dealer (JCT 600, UK company) , but after less than a month got a coolant warning. Sure enough was almost empty. I topped it up and made sure the cap was on tight, but a week later it's almost back to low. I'm worried as I'm no mechanic. I'm taking it into Audi as it's in warranty till 2015.
What could it be? And do I need to ask Audi to look at specific things?

Some extra info: I have found no visible patched under the car, but it's been wet so that's hampering me.
The car has been serviced by Audi at around 18k and by JCT (who use Audi parts to maintain warranty) at 36k.

Crasher
14-01-2014, 11:07 PM
For a 2012 there are no known issues it could be anything but as it is under warranty you have nothing to worry about UNLESS it is damage caused by an external influence such as something puncturing the radiator.

Mccandless111
14-01-2014, 11:39 PM
For a 2012 there are no known issues it could be anything but as it is under warranty you have nothing to worry about UNLESS it is damage caused by an external influence such as something puncturing the radiator.

Thank you for your reply Crasher, you have put my mind at rest a bit more.

Crasher
15-01-2014, 02:27 PM
That's not like me, normally I make people feel suicidal!

Mccandless111
31-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Just to update you. I've been told the problem is the water pump which is being replaced. It's good news that it'll be done under warranty, but I am slightly concerned that its gone so early. I did go for an Audi for their supposed reliability but having never had any problem with previous Toyota's I just wondered if the replacement of a water pump could lead to further problems?

Crasher
31-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Highly unusual but that is quite a new engine design that has yet to filter down into the non dealer network to any great extent.

charliemolain
31-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Just to update you. I've been told the problem is the water pump which is being replaced. It's good news that it'll be done under warranty, but I am slightly concerned that its gone so early. I did go for an Audi for their supposed reliability but having never had any problem with previous Toyota's I just wondered if the replacement of a water pump could lead to further problems?

Hello, I had the same problem with my 2013 Audi A3 1.8TFSI. They replaced the water pump under warranty on january 2014.... yesterday, 2 months later and just 2000 km, The coolant alert jumped again!!!

My car is now beeing check but I just cant belive it... tell me how is it going for you?

a8 tech
31-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Crasher water pumps are just as common on the last few 8p model's the core plug on the water pump housing leaks also B8 2.0 common rail suffering with a similar issue and just replaced a water pump on the new 8V model A3 for leaking ..... egr and water pumps seem to haunt vag :)

Not like my B6 she just keeps going dirty old dog