PDA

View Full Version : Delivery / dealer problems

roboc71
14-01-2014, 03:39 AM
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks and am finding it very informative so thanks to all that have posted. I have an A7 SE on order from my (soon to be) local dealer. i am currently in the USA but will be moving back to the UK in February so i thought i would get my car on order well in advance - at the end of October. The dealer took my order based on a 1st Feb delivery and I started mentally getting ready for the big day! At the end of december he casually dropped me an email telling me that the car was due week 12 - middle of March and a 4 and a half month delivery! After much back and forth he has agreed to lend me a car because he can't improve the date. Has anyone else had delivery issues like this?
Thanks
Rob

M1tchy
14-01-2014, 08:47 AM
I was in completely the opposite position. I ordered mine in about Aug while in Afghanistan for a dec delivery. I got home at the beginning of Oct and as with you, got a casual call saying the car was ready for collection 2 weeks later! Lucky I had the rest of the deposit saved or it would have been sat around for ages!

The wife's A5 took nearly 7 months for delivery! No idea how they prioritise things but all seems random to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Guest 2
14-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Depends on options fitted, dealer allocations, time of year etc remember too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Wippa
14-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I sat down and spec'd mine up and was told from the off to expect around 3m delivery which i was prepared for. However, salesman then asked if I'd take something that was already on order and on it's way in the interest of getting it sooner. Half a dozen frantic phone calls later and we was sold. I had the car in around 2 weeks. To the best of my knowledge, all dealers have access to the same database of cars coming into the country and just depends if they want to put the effort into the sale. At the time of my order, the incentives from Audi were pretty big so I got a whopping discount and he got a massive kick back - everyone was happy :)

@mark
14-01-2014, 05:59 PM
I sat down and spec'd mine up and was told from the off to expect around 3m delivery which i was prepared for. However, salesman then asked if I'd take something that was already on order and on it's way in the interest of getting it sooner. Half a dozen frantic phone calls later and we was sold. I had the car in around 2 weeks. To the best of my knowledge, all dealers have access to the same database of cars coming into the country and just depends if they want to put the effort into the sale. At the time of my order, the incentives from Audi were pretty big so I got a whopping discount and he got a massive kick back - everyone was happy :)

This is often the key to getting the best deal.

When a car has a 3 month lead time, the salesperson isn't going to see the commission for that car until probably the next sales quarter (and his sales manager is only giving him hell about this months numbers) where as if something is going to be here in a couple of weeks, it hits this months sales figures and the dealer and the sales person gets paid quicker.

Of course it all depends on how flexible you can be on colour, spec etc but it's always worth a look (if the salesman isn't already doing so) as it's in their own interest to get the car to you as soon as possible.

roboc71
15-01-2014, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I have been hampered by trying to organize the purchase by email from the US and also by a less than motivated salesman. Anyway, a 6 week wait isn't going to kill me and will give me even longer to look forward to it....