PDA

View Full Version : Looking To Buy VagCom Is It Worth It???

cyberduderen
11-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting Ross-Techs VagCom but was wondering if it is worth the money, I have a 1996 P reg Audi A4 2.6 V6 which only cost me £1200 so $249 for a cable and software seems a little extreme.

What advantages would I have with the genuine registered version over the free version with a cable from ebay or even a CAN Bus VW Audi Trouble Code Reader Scanner U281 and oil reset tool?

I'm thinking this is the correct cable for my car,
KEY- USBDual-K VAG <-> USB Communications Interface

For use with,
Release 704.1
Data Version 20070723

Bearing in mind the age of my car am I right in thinking there's not a great deal I can do with the software or am I wrong?
I would mainly use the software for identifying problems and hopefully repairing the car myself when things go wrong (as they seem to quite frequently)
I'm not very experienced with messing about with cars but would give it a go if it mean't saving money on garage bills.

Thanks in advance ;)

Col
11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
The best way of weighing up the decision to buy or not is to consider that you only need to use it once to solve a problem and it will have virtually paid for itself. The added bonus is that you will still have it to solve the next problem!

In my mind, having it is as essential as having a socket set.

cyberduderen
11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Will it tell me any more than the freeware version or a fault code reader though?

Crasher
11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Buy the proper registered version and you will buy the best tool you ever could. The freeware version is not good enough as it is many functions blocked out.

cbrpaul
11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
or find someone on here close to you with vagcom ,

and pay them in beer tokens !!!!

:beerchug:

cyberduderen
19-09-2007, 08:01 AM
Buy the proper registered version and you will buy the best tool you ever could. The freeware version is not good enough as it is many functions blocked out.

what about if I registered it for $99?

Crasher
19-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't know much about that way, I only use proper cables from a company called Ilexa.

xenon
19-09-2007, 03:11 PM
I've been looking at getting vag-com too. There are 3 ways that I can see of getting it.
1) Buy 3rd party cable and use release 409 vag-com software in 'shareware' mode.
2) Buy 3rd party cable and register the software for $99. You will get the full version but I don't believe you will be able to use the latest software (release 704).
3) Buy the cable from Ross-Tech (or UK distributor) which will give you the full product at the latest release.

The can-bus cables are for some cars 2003+, so won't be of any use to you now unless you want to 'future-proof' your purchase.

I think what I'll end up doing is getting a 3rd party cable and trying the software in shareware mode. If I need more out of it I will probably buy the proper kit and flog the 3rd party cable on ebay.

cyberduderen
19-09-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been looking at getting vag-com too. There are 3 ways that I can see of getting it.
1) Buy 3rd party cable and use release 409 vag-com software in 'shareware' mode.
2) Buy 3rd party cable and register the software for $99. You will get the full version but I don't believe you will be able to use the latest software (release 704).
3) Buy the cable from Ross-Tech (or UK distributor) which will give you the full product at the latest release.

The can-bus cables are for some cars 2003+, so won't be of any use to you now unless you want to 'future-proof' your purchase.

I think what I'll end up doing is getting a 3rd party cable and trying the software in shareware mode. If I need more out of it I will probably buy the proper kit and flog the 3rd party cable on ebay.

I'm thinking of going for option 1 first then maybe onto option 2. $249 seems alot to shell out on an 11 year old car, I'm thinking the features on the new version will be no good for me anyway.

onzarob
19-09-2007, 08:36 PM
what about if I registered it for $99?

I've just registered the 409.1 version for $99 and using a cheep usb cable. I just read my fault codes and changed my egr setting. Actully I'm sitting in the car as we speak :D

I decided to go the budget route and ross-tech offers an upgrade path, so if i need more i will go that route.

a8 tech
19-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Ive got full version 704 and use it loads,itsssssssss great and cheap &#163;230 AND OFFICIAL VAG TOOL 5015B &#163;9000 NO CONTEST

chrisvrscrx
19-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I've just registered the 409.1 version for $99 and using a cheep usb cable. I just read my fault codes and changed my egr setting. Actully I'm sitting in the car as we speak :D

I decided to go the budget route and ross-tech offers an upgrade path, so if i need more i will go that route.

I know this is not the titles subject, but why are you altering the EGR settings? I'm interested to know if it will benifit me if I do it.
Thanks.

cyberduderen
20-09-2007, 10:56 AM

Where did you buy the cable from off this website or ebay/other?

OFI
15-10-2007, 03:14 PM
I bought mine for &#163;12 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330167261191

I have used the shareware version of Vag-Com however it is a little limited and I did consider buying the $99 version however something stood out in the terms which has put me off. If I were to have a hard drive crash I would lose my license altogether. If I change computers or change my computer configuration (no specific details on this..) then you have to deactivate the software and apply for a new code which sounds like a real pain.

Also what happens if say the CPU fried or an other component died, would Vag-Com then refuse to work once the component was replaced as it would most likely be different and then have a new configuration?

Questions I think i'll have to ask Ross Tech before I go handing over any cash :p

xenon
15-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I bought mine for £12 from ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330167261191

I have used the shareware version of Vag-Com however it is a little limited and I did consider buying the $99 version however something stood out in the terms which has put me off. If I were to have a hard drive crash I would lose my license altogether. If I change computers or change my computer configuration (no specific details on this..) then you have to deactivate the software and apply for a new code which sounds like a real pain.

Also what happens if say the CPU fried or an other component died, would Vag-Com then refuse to work once the component was replaced as it would most likely be different and then have a new configuration?

Questions I think i'll have to ask Ross Tech before I go handing over any cash :p
I looked into this also. It would appear that to get a new licence you need to get a de-activation code first. Obviosly if something disasterous happened to your computer you won't get this. Ross-Tech will (at their discretion) supply a new code should you lose it. It's not such a straight forward process but it can be done.

onzarob
15-10-2007, 09:22 PM
I find that the $99(&#163;50) license cost is GREAT. I've licensed my 3rd party lead and would recommend it. I doubt if my laptop caught fire that Ross-tech would not give me a new key;)

I highly recommend licensing the software:D