PDA

View Full Version : RS Style Mesh Grill

TamboB8
10-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Grille finally arrived from the US after a short arguement with customs/parcelforce (lied about processing time and custom clearance).

Perfect fit and great quality, best buy on ebay by far.

2009 2010 2011 SUPER RARE AUDi A4 B8 MESH SPORT Grill Grille RS4 Look +BLK BADGE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-2010-2011-SUPER-RARE-AUDi-A4-B8-MESH-SPORT-Grill-Grille-RS4-Look-BLK-BADGE-/201008886794?hash=item2ecd10340a#ht_2310wt_1121)

I went for the aluminium version, can always wrap it black if i change my mind. Included a gloss back badge & holder (optional) aswell as PDC brackets.

Couple of weeks for delivery although had to pay £14 customs fees.

Grabbed a quick picture last night, will try get some more up at the weekend.

hsmithboy30
10-01-2014, 10:54 PM
Looks good mate. The RS4 badge needs to go though ;)

TamboB8
11-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Thats an S-Line badge mate!

No chance id be badging at as an rs4/s4 :aargh4:

hsmithboy30
11-01-2014, 12:47 AM
My apologies mate :)

Phil K
11-01-2014, 09:59 PM
That does look good! Must say I am tempted to do this... any chance of some more pictures to help me decide ;)

TamboB8
13-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Sorry Phil been working all weekend so not had a chance to get on the forum.

Cars getting going in for a major service 2mro, getting picked up tonight,, so i'll be home sticking my regi plate on at lunchtime today!

Ill grab a few more then ;)

Boy
13-01-2014, 10:08 PM
I was also impressed by this, so have ordered one too! Hoping that I shall be able to make time to fit it! Any hints about removal of the bumper will be welcome. Also, what other jobs should I be aiming to do whilst the bumper is off?

TamboB8
14-01-2014, 01:03 PM
I had actually planned on doing a DIY, but it starting p*ssing down half way through removal, so didn’t have time to take pictures of all the steps.

Removal of the bumper is fairly straight forward, id only ever removed my previous BMW 5 series bumper and that was an absolute PITA.

Don’t want to link to another forum so have a google of "S4 B8 Bumper removal". There’s a few American DIYs.

Tools I used
25 Torq bit
15 Torq bit
10mm socket bit
8mm socket bit
Socket extension
Flathead & Phillips Screwdriver
Patience
Swear words

Here’s a summary of how I done it… it is fairly easy if you've never done anything like this before, as long as you take your time and organize each screw after removal etc.

- Jack the car up on both sides (not essential but does make it a lot easier)
- Turn the wheels to one side and get in under the wheel arch (You could remove the wheels to give yourself more room)
- There’ll be 2 torq screws and a clip securing the arch guard, use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the clip. (Remove more if you want the guard pulled back further)
- Pull back the arch guard towards you and fold in beside the turned wheel.
- Inside the arch there’s a black 10mm bolt to be removed (need a socket extension for this) and another screw/bolt holding the bumper in place.
This wasn’t noted on other DIY's, if you can’t find the "other" screw/bolt as soon as you’ve followed all the other steps and try to pull the bumper off, you’ll soon realize what screw/bolt I’m talking about, it secures the bumper bracket to the wing.

**REPEAT ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Now, under the bonnet

- remove the plastic cover that sits directly above the grill at the bonnet catch (secured by 4 torq screws).
- You will now be able to see what screws hold the grill/bumper in place. There should be 2 more torq screws at the very far left/right of the grill - remove these.

Underneath the car

- There should be 3 silver/grey screws underneath the bumper (as close to the front of the car), remove these.
- At each end/corner behind each wheel, there’s an "easy remove" type screw, use a Philips screwdriver here.

If I’ve remembered everything you should now be ready to take the bumper off.
Make sure you have a towel of some sort on the ground as not to scratch underneath.

Start at either side and gently pull the bumper away fron the wing (towards the front of the car), take your time here as you don’t want to break any clips, however, you will need to use a good bit of pulling power. If the bumper doesn’t feel loose, have a double check inside the wheel well and make sure you’ve removed everything that could possibly be holding it in place.
Do the opposite side the same and the bumper should just slide off.

**REMEMBER THE FOGS WILL STILL BE ATTACHED - EASILY REMOVED WHILST BUMPER IS BALANCING**

The grill is pretty self explanatory to remove, there’s around 8-10 silver torq screws, once removed you should be able to pry the grill from the bumper.

Fit the new grill then repeat in reverse.

It really does sound a lot more complicated than it was. I'd say maximum 2 hours.

Things to note -

- The thermostat behind the grill will need clipped onto the new mesh, this wasn’t covered in any other DIY's, make sure you have some black cable ties just incase.
- This grill comes with PDC brackets - most others don’t. I don’t have PDC (although the dealer originally said I did) so didn’t need to fit these.
- The badge holder is easy to fit, just need to make sure it’s centered correctly before screwing in.
- They ship a gloss black badge, your original chrome badge will fit also.
- The foam impact absorber needs modified, I started cutting mine then just decided to leave it out.
- The Sline badge was purchased seperately.

(Disclaimer - this is just a guide on how i carried out the DIY, follow these steps at your own risk)

Ive added some pics taken when the rain stopped yesterday for those who asked, with/without the reg plate fitted.

(Cant HTML the images as my work doesnt let me onto image hosting sites)
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON :biglaugh:

Boy
14-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for that which I am sure will be very helpful. I heard today that mine has been despatched, so expect it in a ten days or so.

andylef
15-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Thanks for that which I am sure will be very helpful. I heard today that mine has been despatched, so expect it in a ten days or so.

Would you be able to share the link for your purchase?

TamboB8
15-01-2014, 03:51 PM
Would you be able to share the link for your purchase?

Andy i stuck the link in my original post ^^

2009 2010 2011 SUPER RARE AUDi A4 B8 MESH SPORT Grill Grille RS4 Look +BLK BADGE | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-2010-2011-SUPER-RARE-AUDi-A4-B8-MESH-SPORT-Grill-Grille-RS4-Look-BLK-BADGE-/201008886794?hash=item2ecd10340a#ht_2310wt_1121)

Check his other items, there's an all Black & Aluminium version

andylef
15-01-2014, 05:06 PM
thanks

lack of attention to detail on my part.

Aztec grey might suit chrome even though I like black better.

TamboB8
15-01-2014, 05:28 PM
I went for the grey because it looks better with the chrome, plus i wrapped my chrome rear splitter with brushed aluminium. Easy enough to wrap or plastidip the grey one black if you change your mind, not so easy the other way about!

Richie1P
15-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Looks great, really suits the colour of the car too. I bought a standard gloss back grille for the same price, wish I had seen this!!

TamboB8
16-01-2014, 12:21 PM
I really like the standard gloss black grill aswell, i actually purchased another S-line grill to have it sprayed gloss black and changed my mind as deep down i really wanted the mesh/RS4 style one!

Boy
20-01-2014, 11:22 PM
Mine arrived safely today undisturbed by customs!
Now I need to find an opportunity to fit it.