PDA

View Full Version : Concert 2 sticky buttons

smarts
10-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Hey all - need a bit of an assist with sticky buttons on my Concert 2 head unit. I'm guessing the previous owner had a coffee or coke spillage from the cup-holder above. Preset buttons 2, 3 and 4 are partially knackered, being 'semi-glued' by drink residue (I assume).

I had the unit out for fitment of an iPod lead - and can easily whip it out again - and I had a cursory look at the front assembly. Can the front be dismantled to allow cleaning of the button mechanisms? Anyone done this?

Appreciate any clues here.
Ta

:1zhelp:

jetset
11-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Have thought about this and a possible solution might be to clean the buttons with steam. Obviously, I'm not talking about blasting steam into the radio, but you might get lucky by using a little bit of steam (maybe hold the spout of a recently boiled kettle below the radio allowing the steam onto the buttons). This would hopefully dissolve whatever sugary substances are lurking and you could then wipe the buttons with a fine cotton cloth. You might want to cover/seal the rest of the unit when you do this, just in case.

Note - I have not tried this method, so cannot guarantee it will work. It's just, without attacking the head unit and taking it apart, I really can't think of any other way.