PDA

View Full Version : Need to rent/borrow Paint Depth Gauge

ianc1990
06-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm getting the roof on my 1 year old White A6 re-sprayed under warranty sometime next week. When I was over at Adui, they advised that the thickness should be around 120 microns and on the roof, it is currently around 150 microns as it tends to settle on the roof more than other parts of the car when sprayed at the factory.

I found a few rust spots and a small hairline bit of rust on the roof and Audi have decided that it could not have been cause by external factors due to its size/location and the way it has appeared. The paint around it has also started to bubble, although you need a magnifying glass to see this.

To repair this, they need to completely sand the roof down to the metal, and re-spray it. On a 1 year old £30k+ car, im a little touchy with this as you can imagine. One of the ways I could think to test their work would be to measure it using a paint depth gauge so I would either like to rent one, or find someone who owns one so that I can borrow it for literally 5 minutes to check the depth of the paint.

Does anyone live close to myself, York in Yorkshire that owns one where I could drive to and borrow it for literally a few minutes or does anyone know anywhere that rents them? Also, can anyone recommend any other way to 'test' the quality of their work once they are completed?

Thanks
Ian

Sam
06-01-2014, 02:23 PM
I believe Eshrules has one and isn't too far from York - I'll get him to reply.

ianc1990
06-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I thought this was going to be long shot - Thanks for your help and quick reply! :)