PDA

View Full Version : Start Stop

eonbkuk
06-01-2014, 08:58 AM
I thought this would be a good idea but when ever i stop it cuts the engine like its meant to then about a minute later it restarts and i think is this actually worth it.

anyone else had this issue or do theirs last longer

i realise that when the battery gets low it will restart and with the rain and lights being needed lots more things are on so drain the battery more

M1tchy
06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
It sounds like its working ok to me. The longest mine has been off is a few mins at most. It has its pros and cons but if the engine isn't running for 2 mins then it has saved me 2 mins worth of fuel so I'm happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

audi_guy
06-01-2014, 02:26 PM
I've found with mine that when Start Stop activates, if I put the e brake on and shift into park, it will stay off for up to 5 minutes depending on load, if I am sat with my foot on the brake, about 2 minutes max.

Also there is a 2 second gap between engine restarting and gearbox engaging, which can result in a high revving engine and a jerk when gearbox thumps in. I have to leave it a second before touching the accellerator after taking foot off the brake. Takes a bit of getting used to!

Embisix
06-01-2014, 04:58 PM
I've found this too, engine stops for about a minute or so then fires back up.

I suspect (although I will check this on Thursday when mine visits Audi for a service/cambelt) that the length of time is determined by the load on/condition of the battery.... Hopefully my battery isn't on it's last legs, I could do without that on top of the service/cambelt... :-/

markp306
06-01-2014, 10:48 PM
I thought this would be a good idea but when ever i stop it cuts the engine like its meant to then about a minute later it restarts and i think is this actually worth it.

anyone else had this issue or do theirs last longer

i realise that when the battery gets low it will restart and with the rain and lights being needed lots more things are on so drain the battery more

Yes, same here. It's always been like this since I got the car @ 9 months old. Not sure it saves much to be honest.

richlean
07-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Mine behaves exactly as above.

A bit off topic, but I've just had a Volvo V60 rental car for the last week on holiday, and this behaves much more as you would expect. It shuts down every time you tell it to once the engine's even begun to warm up, and stays off until you need it. Maybe Audi's being too clever for its own good!

Zenerdiode
09-01-2014, 01:57 AM
I suspect that the length of time is determined by the load on/condition of the battery...

And as always, a load of other things. :)

Steering wheel torque (start turning the wheel and engine will re-start)
Servo vacuum pressure (pump the brakes will deplete the vacuum, re-start)
Clutch pedal direction/rate of movement/position (from resting feet; a quick clutch press will fire engine as it thinks you are ready to engage a gear)
Brake line pressure (used more for engine stop command)
Engine temperature
Battery temperature
Parking brake deployed or not
Vehicle inclination sensor...