PDA

View Full Version : 4 Weeks Old and Broken!

audi_guy
31-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Hey Everyone

I'm new to the forum, and new to Audi.

Picked up a brand new A4 Technik 1.8 TFSI 170 Multitronic 4 weeks ago - brilliant deal got it for £23k!

All has been going great, brilliant car!! All until yesterday when driving along at 70 complete loss of power for a few seconds then engine light comes on and massively reduced power and jumping all over the place.

Called out Audi Assistance who came and had a look, engine was idling strangely varying speed and hissing loudly.

The guy plugged in his tech and it came up with two faults: throttle body failure and MAF sensor fault.

Recovered to my Local Audi dealership who are looking at it today - I don't know how much of an easy fix this will be or what else is faulty (they don't know either yet)

Audi Assistance sent me a taxi to take me to Gatwick Airport to pick up an A3 hire car - cost £65 for the taxi which they paid for!

What do you think I should do? I don't really think that is acceptable for a 4 week old car (just over 2,100 miles) (I do 22k a year lol)

I work at Citizens Advice and know I am entitled to reject the car as it is under 6 weeks since I took delivery, but I really can't be ***** current build time on a new one is 4 months!

I just want my nice new car that works lol

Cheers everyone!!

man le-mans
31-12-2013, 12:09 PM
I would get it fixed as you say the waiting time is to long. And if you think about it doesn't sound to bad so all tho yes it shouldn't break down they are possibly not stripping it down much more than they would on a service.

zollaf
31-12-2013, 12:13 PM
welcome to the forum.
sounds like a vacuum pipe or a boost pipe has fallen off, so probably quite a quick and simple fix. stick with it, let them fix it and see how it goes. if it does it every week then have another think about it but for now enjoy the a3.

audi_guy
31-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I want to get it fixed as it's a lot easier.

I'm not sure what is involved but it doesn't look too difficult to change from what the RAC guy said, as long as there are no other problems, he said there are 2 more fault codes but only Audi can read them??

As long as it isn't going to take that long i'll be happy, might try and get some freebies though ;)

zollaf
31-12-2013, 12:18 PM
this is the thing with fault codes. the 2 you mention about maf and throttle body will come up if a boost pipe breaks, as they just really measure airflow which goes to pot if a pipe isn't there. its probably fixed already or parts ordered, its just a bad time of year to break down, what with most garages closed or with few staff.

audi_guy
31-12-2013, 12:19 PM
welcome to the forum.
sounds like a vacuum pipe or a boost pipe has fallen off, so probably quite a quick and simple fix. stick with it, let them fix it and see how it goes. if it does it every week then have another think about it but for now enjoy the a3.

That's what the RAC guy thought, he had a look at the hoses but said they looked ok, mind it was very dark so couldn't really see properly, that would explain the sudden loss of power though if a boost pipe came loose.

I'm happy atm, the dealership is walking distance from my house, i'm just annoyed cos I came from a Fabia VRS with Oil issues, coolant system leaks, aircon failure (replaced) and DSG vibrating and jerking just out of warranty, but the Audi dealer took it in part ex, so just a little annoyed to have another failure.

Guest 2
31-12-2013, 01:33 PM
The car is under warranty, don't worry about it.

Remember Audi/VW are making millions of cars every year, you can't expect all of them to be perfect?

markp306
01-01-2014, 04:21 PM
My brand new B8 broke down after 9 days and just 'went down hill from there', culminating in an MOT fail at 5 years, so you aren't doing so badly. In hindsight that car was a rejection candidate but I've consigned it to the history books now.

The moral for me is don't buy new (model) - wait for a mid life facelift where all the issues should have been ironed out. Now got a 2012 facelift model (albeit an A5) now and really pleased so far.

audi_guy
02-01-2014, 01:21 PM
Has been fixed now

It was the boost pipe from the turbo was leaking, garage claimed this was because the oil filler cap wasn't sealed properly and pressure had built up inside the engine?

Anyway all working good now :)

zollaf
02-01-2014, 01:29 PM
thats one heck of an excuse !!!

audi_guy
02-01-2014, 01:32 PM
I know they didn't really give me much info and when I asked if there's any paperwork they said it's all electronic.

They did something as my air con settings and park assist were all reset back to factory.

martinfoy
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Good to hear its all fixed now. Looking at the same car only in manual , how are you finding the 170 engine? can I also ask what extras if any did you specify? Thanks , Martin.

belly buster
02-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Bathtub curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve)

Stuff is likely to go wrong early it's only natural and doesn't make it a lemon.

Many years ago I worked for Avis and we would get deliveries of cars with 2, 1, and sometimes 0 miles on the clock. It was amazing the number that came back broken on the first rental (or even the first trip to the filling station) but usually it was just a loose bolt or a split hose that was easily replaced.

markp306
03-01-2014, 09:01 AM
Bathtub curve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve)

Stuff is likely to go wrong early it's only natural and doesn't make it a lemon.

Well, I'm not sure I'd personally agree with or accept that statement from Audi.

Either my B8 was also a lemon, or I'm wasting money thinking I have a premium car when so many other manufacturers do better....as did my B6 some 10 years ago now, come to think of it.

audi_guy
03-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Good to hear its all fixed now. Looking at the same car only in manual , how are you finding the 170 engine? can I also ask what extras if any did you specify? Thanks , Martin.

Seems to be a brilliant engine, very smooth, low down power delivery accross what seems the whole rev range and a nice exhaust note when pressed hard. 0-60 is around 8 seconds, which, for a 1.8 in a 1.6 ton car is not bad really, only .6 of a second off my previous fabia vrs with 180bhp. I didn't specify any extras, however, my car was one of the first of the MY14 year, meaning it gets the "exclusive" 245/40/18 wheels and the mmi plus 3.5 latest system, but not audi connect. What I wish it had was tyre pressure monitoring, active cruise, and TV tuner so I would recommend those if you are placing a factory order (mine had just left the factory when I ordered). I would have specced those but as there was one just built I saved the wait (and a few pounds I suppose ha!) Also it is relatively cheap to spec the nicer leather and seats as well it seams, looking at the brochure, so I would probably have done that too. It doesn't come with Xenons but i'm not sure I could justify the price tag for adding those when I think about the cost of replacement bulbs etc.

But the car is brilliant and it's an insane abount of standard spec you get for the money - more than an S line, and you have the SE suspension which is so much more composed and comfortable (I test drove an S line with the same engine).

audi_guy
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Well, I'm not sure I'd personally agree with or accept that statement from Audi.

Either my B8 was also a lemon, or I'm wasting money thinking I have a premium car when so many other manufacturers do better....as did my B6 some 10 years ago now, come to think of it.

Come to think of it i've had 4 VAG group cars (Golf MK5, Ibiza Mk5, Fabia vRS MK2, Current A4 B8.5) and all have had at least one warranty claim, fabia having 6 and starting to fail just outside warranty).

I don't think VAG are that reliable compared to everything else, but I just love the feel and quality of the cars and would still have nothing else, just make sure I have a warranty.

Guest 2
03-01-2014, 11:20 AM
If you're worried then get an extended warranty when the car is 3 years old as you have the chance to extend factory/oem warranty then.

eonbkuk
03-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I got the 163 diesel and love it pulls like a train and 50mpg no complaints from me

Hippogriff
04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
The moral for me is don't buy new (model) - wait for a mid life facelift where all the issues should have been ironed out. Now got a 2012 facelift model (albeit an A5) now and really pleased so far.

I wasn't going to start my own thread on my brand new facelift B8 woes, but I will add to this one... late November 2013 delivered, last week the flippin' advanced key door sensors failed. Same problem I had in the pre-facelift B8! I can't believe this crap. This is my third A4 and I've been to Audi with them more times than I would've ever cared to. I believe all 4 door sensors get replaced due to this issue - I thought they'd've fixed it by now! This one is also going back in and, at the same time, I'm going to ask them why there are 5 very audible "clicks" coming from the driver's side when starting the car from cold... my B6 didn't do this, my B8 didn't do this, but my brand new B8 goes "click" ... "click" ... "click" ... "click" ... "click" when I start it. Everything seems fine with the car, but I'm nervous about what this is.

markp306
05-01-2014, 12:40 AM
I wasn't going to start my own thread on my brand new facelift B8 woes, but I will add to this one... late November 2013 delivered, last week the flippin' advanced key door sensors failed. Same problem I had in the pre-facelift B8! I can't believe this crap. This is my third A4 and I've been to Audi with them more times than I would've ever cared to. I believe all 4 door sensors get replaced due to this issue - I thought they'd've fixed it by now! This one is also going back in and, at the same time, I'm going to ask them why there are 5 very audible "clicks" coming from the driver's side when starting the car from cold... my B6 didn't do this, my B8 didn't do this, but my brand new B8 goes "click" ... "click" ... "click" ... "click" ... "click" when I start it. Everything seems fine with the car, but I'm nervous about what this is.

My A5 does that too, although I didn't go as far as counting the clicks. The 2 previous A4s didn't.
I hadn't really given much attention to it as it only does it on a cold start.

Hippogriff
05-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks. It's strangely pleasing to realise I'm definitely not alone.

"Yes" to the cold start only; but "no" to the not giving it much attention or me not being worried about it. I can't figure out why it should be this way. I think it should be fixed as I believe something is wrong until someone tells me all of them now do this, and the reason why. If so, what a retrograde step.

Also, last thing on the overall topic of Audi quality... it's disappearing fast, I reckon, one of my B&O speakers also farts at me when I play some certain tracks on level 18 to 20 (I've not gone above 20 - and it's not very close to the top)... that's not right, either... I bet I'll spend ages trying to convince an Audi tech. that this really exists even though we can play the same track again and again.

markp306
05-01-2014, 09:14 PM

"Yes" to the cold start only; but "no" to the not giving it much attention or me not being worried about it. I can't figure out why it should be this way. I think it should be fixed as I believe something is wrong until someone tells me all of them now do this, and the reason why. If so, what a retrograde step.

Also, last thing on the overall topic of Audi quality... it's disappearing fast, I reckon, one of my B&O speakers also farts at me when I play some certain tracks on level 18 to 20 (I've not gone above 20 - and it's not very close to the top)... that's not right, either... I bet I'll spend ages trying to convince an Audi tech. that this really exists even though we can play the same track again and again.

Today I went out early afternoon and only became aware of the clicks about 5 mins down the road but I didn't count them. I am not aware of any problems though, so am not too concerned about it right now unless someone posts info to the contrary.

i don't use the b&o at level 18+ unless using the 'quieter' media options, so haven't heard anything untoward. I think I preferred the Bose system in my B6 cab before but it's still a good upgrade.

belly buster
05-01-2014, 09:14 PM

You should have gone for an A6 Hippo quality much better :)

Hippogriff
06-01-2014, 01:21 AM

Ack, goandboilyerhead! :p

There's definitely something wrong with it (the door sensors and the B&O farting, that's for sure) so I'll detail the clicking as well. I'm convinced it can't be right. If Audi agree with me, I'll report back... if they try and fob me off, saying "it's all normal", I'll raise my eyebrows at them.

AGW82
06-01-2014, 08:43 AM
I get the 5 clicks in mine when cold as well Hippo... It's not something that bothers me so I've never had it looked at, but it just sounds like relays clicking..

I can't say I noticed my previous C7 A6 click from the dash when cold, nor the B8 prior to that, so it seems to be a new feature of the facelift B8..

Hippogriff
06-01-2014, 10:09 AM
I can't say I noticed my previous C7 A6 click from the dash when cold, nor the B8 prior to that, so it seems to be a new feature of the facelift B8..

I've gotta say I'm a bit surprised that this is being treated with so little concern by long-time Audi owners, and that it's so prevalent... unwanted or unexplained cabin noises are our biggest gripe, no?

Maybe it's just me, then. Anyway, today is when I'll try to arrange to send Rommel in... will report back.

Hippogriff
06-01-2014, 10:14 AM

I recall... no flat-bottomed steering wheel (I have to say this A4 wheel is the nicest steering wheel I have curled my clammy paws around, ever) and no digital AC temp. readout and the AMI in the armrest and the whole car being just too big for me... even with some annoying quality issues I suspect I probably did the right thing.

audi_guy
06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I just tested the clicks on mine, place fob into ignition 1 click, foot on brake and press to start, 4 or 5 clicks in quick sucession and starts. Didn't even notice that until now. Seems to come from the fuse box area so i'm guessing it's relays, weird tho now I hear it every time ha!

Also when I cold start mine, I get a whine and chain type noise for 3 seconds then fine, only when cold but every time when cold, i'm guessing this is normal as I had an Ibiza with a 1.2 tsi 105 couple years ago and that did the same.

Hippogriff
06-01-2014, 12:41 PM
...weird tho now I hear it every time ha!

Glad to be of service. :p

audi_guy
06-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Glad to be of service. :p

Haha! I love the car tho so nice! Interesting to find out all these little things tho! :bigeyes2:

Hippogriff
17-01-2014, 01:12 PM
OK, update. My car is booked in to Sheffield Audi (woe is me!) on the 12 Feb..

Rather than collect it and bring it back, they are saying they need me to go in to demonstrate the issues. Thankfully, I have the perfect music track to demonstrate my speaker / fixing issue - Ribs by Lorde played at volume 20, or higher, makes the right side of the driver's cabin go nuts from 5 seconds in.

Does anyone know the Audi TPI reference for the keyless entry not working, the one that says they should replace all 4 door sensors?

I bet they'll make me do a road test to demonstrate the DIS fascia rattle... but it's intermittent, so my guess is they'll claim it's not happening.

Hippogriff
12-02-2014, 11:42 AM
Car dropped off at Audi this morning - I was able to demonstrate the speaker distortion, the clicks on start and the keyless entry not working (obviously). I wasn't able to demonstrate the DIS fascia rattling, but he seemed to believe me. I've been given an A6 S line courtesy car with plenty of the safety gadgets installed. I like the Side Assist stuff, not yet tried Active Lane Assist, but I am interested in how it works. It also has Adaptive Lights. The large colour DIS is lovely. It's very refined / comfortable compared to my A4 BE. The steering wheel isn't all that it could be - feels very thin in the hands compared to my BE's fat-boy flat-bottomed steering wheel.

The thing is... I just picked up some groceries from the supermarket on the way back home... when I got into the A4 and pressed the start button, what did I hear - yes, a number of clicks emanating from the driver's area. Maybe it's a 'feature' of all new Audis.

Anyway, let's see what they come back with.

CraigG86
12-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Is it possible the clicks are relays opening the air vents? Like, so, when the car is off, no creepy crawlies can get into the cabin through the air vents?

Hippogriff
12-02-2014, 12:42 PM
Genuinely do not know... I just want Audi to tell me whether it's a normal feature of their newer cars (wasn't a feature of the B6 or pre-facelift B8) or something that needs addressing. If it's a feature, it's not a good one for me, but I will admit that I am rather sensitive to odd / unexplained noises.

CraigG86
12-02-2014, 01:06 PM
I've also got a Fiat Coupé 20vt, and I've had a couple of Alfa's in the past. My experience of noises/rattles means to turn the radio up to a level you drown them out and pretend they never happened. I really need to change me train of thought, don't I... Ha ha!

Hippogriff
12-02-2014, 01:08 PM
Ha, I tried that but my B&O speakers then exhibited distortion.

CraigG86
12-02-2014, 01:13 PM
My B&O system works perfectly fine... In fact, my A4 has no squeaks or rattles and this is weird to me, but I'd quite happily have my car plagued with noises if it meant my headlights worked!!!

Hippogriff
12-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Good. Let me know if you want to try out "Ribs" by "Lorde" at a volume of 22 or higher... just to ensure you're correct... and I'll post you an MP3 snippet for you to download onto an SD card. ;) You'll know in the first 10 seconds...

Hippogriff
13-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Well, Rommel (the Dessert Fox) is back from Audi and I have had a 25% hit rate on my 4 faults...

1) Keyless entry - now fixed (this was my main issue, really... a car with Advanced Key and no working keyless entry is just annoying)
2) rattle around DIS fascia - they couldn't identity it, so decided rather than fit some felt or rubber, to do nothing
3) 5 clicks on startup - they said this is a feature of the car... to be fair, I heard this on the courtesy A6 as well
4) B&O system distortion at volume >22 on certain tracks (sample track was Ribs by Lorde) - this is a feature of the car

I demanded to be given more information about 4... I couldn't believe that a supposedly high-end car audio system would exhibit this. I can confirm it did not happen in the A6 (but that was not B&O). So they took me out to two A4s with B&O and we heard the same thing in both. I was gutted.

So... it seems anyone else out there with an A4 with B&O would also have this 'feature'. Bit of a disappointment, this is, because one reason I chose the A4 over the A6 was so I didn't have to have BOSE. I've experienced BOSE (not in cars) before and I was never impressed, I figured I should try out the B&O only to get farting noises when at volumes nowhere near the top of where the system can go.