PDA

View Full Version : Slow Puncture - Are they having me on?

Mike2.0TQ
27-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi, have only recently been having to pump one of the rears up on a fairly regular basis. Took it in to National this afternoon and sure enough there's a screw right in the middle of the tread. They said they won't repair it as water has got in the hole and deteriorated the inside of the tyre!? The tyres are Goodyear Eagle F1's and have only covered around 8k and have loads of tread left, they wanted 215 to replace it. They didn't take the tyre off the wheel, they did show me the outside and there was some slight deterioration but am loathed to buy 2 new tyres unless I have to (it's a Quattro).

Are they pulling a fast one do you think?
Cheers,

Mike.

zollaf
27-12-2013, 06:11 PM
go to a small non franchise type garage, you know, the one with friendly people working there, and see what they say.

Guest 2
27-12-2013, 06:11 PM
pulling a fast one, as long as the puncture isn't anywhere near the tyre wall you're fine to get it repaired.

zollaf
27-12-2013, 06:13 PM
i would also get it in writing from them that the tyre is beyond repair and mark the tyre as well, and take photo's. oooh, not prepared to do that for you sir, blooming con artists that deserve to go bankrupt.

Kar Krazy
27-12-2013, 06:16 PM
That's a new one. Do these guys go on courses about how to rip off punters?

Does the outside of the tyre deteriorate if you drive through a puddle?

Mike2.0TQ
27-12-2013, 06:30 PM
That's exactly what I thought, how can water harm a tyre from the inside but not the outside? Admittedly there were some cracks (tiny) in parts of the tread but the tyres are not old, only replaced them all about a year ago! Will go to my local indi tomorrow and have them take a look!

Thanks all, thought they were trying it on!

Mike.

Doctle Odd
27-12-2013, 08:42 PM
urine analysts

Mike2.0TQ
27-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Forgot to say about this too - I asked how much to rotate the wheels back to front, they wanted 16 quid.................per wheel!! Won't be going back there, ever....

Guest 2
27-12-2013, 11:27 PM
You could do it for free on your driveway! :p

Eshrules
28-12-2013, 12:12 AM
In defense of national tyres and exhausts, I had a pair of barums fitted to the polo, best price on the Web via tyreshopper, turned up for my appointment and not only did they take care of her, they rotated the wheels for free.

I went back there for her second set and would recommend them to anyone.

Ashton under Lyne branch.

It's a shame it's a couple of bad apples that ruin it for the brand.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mjhamilton
28-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Like any franchise they are only as good as the people who run it and work there

National in Horsham provided 4 x ZZ5's for my S4 in factory fitment all fitted for £460 - job completed with no dramas or issues at all

chrishy
28-12-2013, 09:34 AM
As said go to an independent - no reason not to repair

Terrible bunch - local to me their branch is awful. Had to use them for company car

kodkod.84
28-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Yep don't forget your independent local garage- mine have fixed twice what Kwik-S*** have cocked up on my exhaust.

I just buy the parts I want online and get them fitted there now- cheaper, and they now know my car

geordiestig
28-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Yep don't forget your independent local garage- mine have fixed twice what Kwik-S*** have cocked up on my exhaust.

I just buy the parts I want online and get them fitted there now- cheaper, and they now know my car
kwik-Rip were going to charge me £3K for an OEM exhaust for my A4 Quattro TFSI, a guy in the shop overheard the extortion and gave me a contact number for tint's n tweaks in Ashington who designed and fitted a custom stainless steel system from CAT to tailpipe trims and all the guts in between for £500.
It looks 100% better than any mild steel OEM unit and sounds nice too, just a subtle bass note on tick over, no boy racer fart noises. :)

tyreman1
28-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Beats me why anyone uses kwik fit,National and the like cos all the boys in there are trying to do is hit their bonus targets,if you don't know a lot about cars always get a second opinion.

Mike2.0TQ
28-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Cheers all, will try my local independent as they service the car and know me, shut until New Year unfortunately though. Only went to National as I was down that way, need to get it sorted though as I was hoping to go fishing before heading back to work on the 2nd!

Will try and post a pix of the "shot" tyre too.

Thanks,

Mike.

fourringsrus
29-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Without appearing to defend the tyre company, it sounds like a trick done at commercial tyre companies, the hole allows water ingress which can come into contact with steel bands, cause rust, weaken the structure etc etc, but as many have said before me, take it somewhere that doesn't try to shaft you