PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Wheels damaged by garage when changing tyres!!!!

mcdonalds
26-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Hello guys.

Iv not been on here often. Im after some assistance. I got my hands on an Audi S4 2009 in Excellent condition and only 4 days later had a run in with a local Garage. In October i went to get 4 new Pirelli P Zero Rosso tyres, (245/40 18 ZR 97Y XL) fitted before its MOT. Unfortunately for me i have no picture of the condition of the wheels before. When i got the car back after 3 hours of waiting i was told 1 of the wheels was scratched. I was a little cheesed off to say the least. I had a look found the car to find all 4 wheels had been sctatched not just a little mark but right the way round the wheel. The service manager was on holiday but it was confirmed by the general managed that i could return the car the next week and they would send the wheels away to repair the damage. In doing so the wheels were painted on the outside only. While refitting the wheels the wrench caught one of the flat outer areas of one of the spokes. SCRATCHED YET AGAIN. again returned a few days later to get that wheel done for the 2nd time.

Pictures of just 1 wheel \/

I then got the car Valeted with a winter protection by a friend who mentioned that the dirt on the inside of the wheels could not be washed off with a mitt, wheel cleaner or a jet wash. The wheel that had now been done twice stood out like a sore thumb.

Im trying to get some facts together about the tyres and wheels in relation to the refurbishment, as i understood it from the services manager the wheels have been baked each time they have been painted but with the tyres still on the wheel. How dose this effect the compound, integrity,life and safety of the tyres if a high temperature was used?

mcdonalds
26-12-2013, 02:28 PM

This is the wheel which at this point had been repaired and painted twice. As you can see, 4 finger marks between 2 of the spokes. The slightly clean finger area is the dirt from the original repair and the dirtiest area round the fingers is an extra 300-400 miles of dirt on winter roads. As i told the services manager in my anger this was a result of poor workmanship by the repairers lack of preparation.

Another example of poor preparation and not enough care and attention going in to the repair. These marks are still on this wheel after the 3rd return visit to the garage.

While i was away working the garage took the car back for a week, the Services manager agreed to get the wheels painted inside and out and to finally remove All defects. The 2 deeper marks on the above picture are STILL visible. I was sent the following picture saying all over-spray and dirt from the inside of the wheels has been removed using paint thinners. But as you see bellow left paint from the outside of the wheel not matching the inside.

There was a little corrosion on the inside of the wheels which was clearly not as a result of the tyre change but they now had to deal with to make the paint match as a result of a lack of care in the preparation and paining stages.

The inside of the wheels is now painted to match the outside and is finished well but still have.

And also these marks on a few wheels which will surely flake off. I was told it was corrosion nut this would not have formed in the space of 10 days since the repair. I only saw the wheels 1 week after the work was done.

Looking for advice on where i stand as a customer and surely 3 attempts to try and get it right is more than enough. I would expect the company would have insurance to cover the accidental damage in the workplace which could cover this. i also purchased a 2 year old Peugeot 207 for my partner from the same company within the same week this happened even with spending over £6000 The service manager is starting to become very reluctant to correct the wheels or replace them.

Cockney Boy
26-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Trading standards, small claims court, media shame are all available to you and can be mentioned to the manager.

mcdonalds
26-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Very small issue i have to be careful with is my partners father works in the Sales department of this garage and recommended i go there for the tyres. Since the original damage i have told him not to get involved.

New wheels should not be unreasonable at this stage!!

Iv told him i am willing to seek further advice.

Cockney Boy
26-12-2013, 03:26 PM
It wouldn't matter. As you've said, they would have insurance for such matters, so they should get it sorted. New Alloys would be nice but I'd suspect they would settle for a complete refurb

Hammy969
26-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Hello

Had a similar experience with my dealer when they replaced my front tyres. I walked the service manager round the car prior to them taking the car in. I checked them on return and the edges were fine, however they had managed to mark the centre around the bolt holes.

Anyway after speaking to the dealer they agreed to replace the wheel with a fully refurbished wheel from pristine alloy wheel refurbishers milton keynes. This, when examined prior to fitting, appears like new. The web site has full details of what they do to the wheels. A totaly different process to what you have been subjected to.

I have also been lead to believe that this is who the manufacturers use, un confirmed. Quality is excellent.

fat controller
26-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Very small issue i have to be careful with is my partners father works in the Sales department of this garage and recommended i go there for the tyres. Since the original damage i have told him not to get involved.

New wheels should not be unreasonable at this stage!!

Iv told him i am willing to seek further advice.

I would be inclined to do the complete opposite - let him get involved if he works there. If I recommended my company for coach hire to a relative or friend, and it was subsequently sub-standard, I would be kicking rear-ends from here to Kingdom come! If he kicks up a bit of a stink, along the lines of him being let down by the company after recommending them personally....... I reckon the service guys would put things right PDQ