PDA

View Full Version : How's your grip/handling?

james_tiger_woo
23-12-2013, 01:15 PM
I am curious whether it's just me being leadfooted or just an eejit.

I've got a 2.0tdi SE on Kinetic 17s (not sure which tyres, but they're the standards) but I have found that the grip and handling isn't great. Under firm (not hard) acceleration, I get wheelspin in 1st, (I'm not too surprised about that) but under hard acceleration in 2nd, I get spinning - and the same in 3rd, but under hard acceleration. I'm not hooning a lot, but it's prevalence is a surprise.

I also get a good amount of understeer too - I accept that my GT Golf was a far better handler, but I'm genuinely surprised as to how easy it is to get understeer.

I do approach corners with a LOT less speed than in the Golf, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Or is it me?

cs2009
11-01-2014, 05:48 PM
I've got the same car but with the 122PS petrol engine, and I find the handling and grip to be very good. No noticeable understeer. However, the ride is poor and the tyre noise terrible.

I'm swapping for a Golf in the Spring !

Kar Krazy
11-01-2014, 06:10 PM
It would be worth having a look at the make of tyres on your car because different tyres makes a big difference to any car's handling and roadholding. My 2009 A3 was on Evergreen EU72's when I bought it and, in the wet, they understeered horribly in a tight turn even on neutral throttle. I changed to Goodyear Asymmetric 2's all round and now it corners like it is on rails.

I had the same experience when I bought my previous car - a Mondeo Titanium X 2.2 TDCi that was on horrible Marangoni Mythos tyres. I changed these to Vredestien Ultrac Sessantas and the difference was like night and day. The Vreds were brilliant in the wet and dry, but weren't great at moving away uphill in snow, so I changed to the Asymmetrics. Great tyres!

rickerby
15-06-2014, 07:42 PM
I've got the same car but with the 122PS petrol engine, and I find the handling and grip to be very good. No noticeable understeer. However, the ride is poor and the tyre noise terrible.

I'm swapping for a Golf in the Spring !

Well we have exactly the same car as you 1.4 122 TFSI SE and I am amazed at how well it rides and at the overall refinement. If you really don't like it why are you getting a Golf. Its the same bloody car underneath (VAG MQB)!