PDA

View Full Version : Tar spots on paintwork!!

sherlockuk
10-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Cleaning my Passat at the weekend I noticed that I had spots of tar all down each side of my car... :zx11: Must have got them from a newly resurfaced road! Normal detergents doesn't budge them.. Does anyone know how I should get these off? I am a little worried to start using a solvent just in case it ruins the paintwork!

Any help is appreciated!

Tom.

gemjampot
10-09-2007, 02:18 PM
hi,

try some of this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_17 4973_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varien t__categoryId_31407_crumb__parentcategoryrn_31407

i find it works really well!

sherlockuk
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
Cheers,

Never seen that in Halfords before, I shall give it a try.. There are alot of tar spots!!

;)

JR001
10-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I found the above product not very good on mine I'm afraid and the bottle sits in the shed redundant. I suppose my bugs must have been left on for too long.

Sherlock, what do you mean by normal detergents?

Thing to bear in mind is that tar and bug/glue removers will strip the car of any layers of sealant or wax and you will have to reapply to maintain your paint's protection. The Halfords product by the way does not tell you this! It's as if they think none of their customers have protection on their vehicles.

Karlos_Fandango
10-09-2007, 07:07 PM
If youre getting that close to be able to see the tar spots, I'm guessing you'll also have your T-cut and Auto Glym polish at hand?

If so, the best, by FAR solution to removing tar spots, is to use neat PETROL. Wet a rag, firstly putting your fag out. Wipe over the area a few times and presto! No spots. THEN, a quick wipe over with T cut to remove the chemicals from the petrol, then finish off with a good ol polish. Whole job done in 60 seconds or your money back ;)

JR001
10-09-2007, 07:24 PM
Again, you're removing all protection with harsher products arguably!

AG Tar and glue remover might be a quick solution but get that car protected again afterwards!!!!:D

devonutopia
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I use autoglym intensive tar remover which works well - doesn't harm the paint either. :)

I've also found that using the clay bar generally improves the surface, removing tar as well. But for individual spots nothing touches them like autoglym stuff. I've found to a point, WD-40 also works.

Paul Jay
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Jason is right

AG Intensive Tar remover is best stuff by miles. You'll need to re-apply wax though as it removes everything.

WD40 is almost as good though, but takes longer to dissolve the tar.

sherlockuk
11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks lads, I only used fairy washing up liquid / equivalents. But from reading your replies then I will head off to Halfords and purchase some of this Autoglym stuff and give it a go!

I will be re polishing it anyhow for this weekends re-mapping at Chipped UK.. Don't want to let the side down ;)

Tom.

bora(ing) nick
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
I will be re polishing it anyhow for this weekends re-mapping at Chipped UK.. Don't want to let the side down ;)

Tom.

Ditto, I gave mine a quick once over at weekend, but i'm thinking of "going to town" on it this weekend, as its already filthy with motorway driving again this week.

With that many VAG cars in 1 place.... i dont want to have the dirtiest car there!

I'm even considering to drive at around 60/70mph, as to not act as the biggest fly catcher only the motorway (which i normally am!) rather than booting it.

Nick

JR001
11-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Good lads!:D

Auto-Brite
04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Our 'Autobrites' 'Tar + Glue Remover' is a fantastic product to remove tar instantly without scrubbing.You can just spray it on and it simply streaks off..

dickturpin
03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Try olive oil....it will soften the tar spots.....and kind to your hands!

source
05-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Jason is right

AG Intensive Tar remover is best stuff by miles. You'll need to re-apply wax though as it removes everything.

WD40 is almost as good though, but takes longer to dissolve the tar.

Yes mate AG tar and glue or Autosmart tardis will take the tar off no problem

GarJE
08-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Best thing I've found for removal of tar spots is WD40.

Anything petroleum based would probably do though.

Plife
10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Tardis all the way. Superb product!

IascaJimbo
21-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Cheers,

Never seen that in Halfords before, I shall give it a try.. There are alot of tar spots!!

;)

AutoGlym tar remover, great stuff blue label i think
;)