PDA

View Full Version : Headlight warning chime - reliable for you?

slabber
17-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi All

I've noticed on my 2007 D3 that the chime / buzzer that is supposed to tell me I have left my headlights on is very unreliable, and only comes on after quite a few seconds when I would normally have left the car. There is a thread here (http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2789585) about this (that didn't get resolved) and I have the same symptoms. I've recently had my headlight switch replaced so pretty sure it's not that. Maybe the door switch? Has anyone had this and managed to resolve it? I have to turn my headlights to sidelights when going through security at work and on a couple of occasions have left the lights on because the chime didn't kick in.

Cheers - Graham

Doctle Odd
17-12-2013, 12:37 AM
You can make your own with a 99p Maplins buzzer

slabber
17-12-2013, 07:26 AM
You can make your own with a 99p Maplins buzzer

Is that preferable to making the OEM buzzer work properly? My car has a warranty which includes electrical component failure so I'm loathe to spend 99p at Maplins if I can get this fixed for free.

Eshrules
17-12-2013, 08:30 AM
If it's under warranty, without meaning to offend - why aren't you at the garage with it?

Doctle Odd
17-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I thought it was a 2001 car my mistake. On an older car it can take a while to find the problem @ 80.00 + VAT an hour plus diagnostic scan cost. At those prices I'd go Maplins, with a warranty I'd not need advice

snapdragon
17-12-2013, 11:25 AM
I will test mine for you.

slabber
18-12-2013, 07:57 AM
If it's under warranty, without meaning to offend - why aren't you at the garage with it?

Good point! The warranty is not an Audi one and whist it's been pretty good at paying out for stuff my garage do need to pinpoint the exact problem first. I've mentioned this to them and they don't think it's anything obvious, and since the warranty won't pay for speculative swapping of components I'm doing my usual research thing. Which is all part of the fun - right? :o

slabber
22-12-2013, 09:20 AM
I will test mine for you.

Did you get chance to test snapdragon? I spoke to a main dealer who advised probably one of the door sensors but I didn't manage to get anything further. Anyone know what door sensors are fitted?

snapdragon
22-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Sorry yes, it comes on instantly when the door is opened.
Does your interior light come on before the buzzer? One would expect them to use the same signal.

slabber
31-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Does your interior light come on before the buzzer? One would expect them to use the same signal.

Yes! Interior light works instantly as expected, so maybe there is more than one door sensor? Does anyone know? Cheers!

snapdragon
01-01-2014, 06:41 PM
How queer. I think the sound comes from a small speaker in the instrument cluster, it also does the indicator tick-tock sound.
No doubt similar to this
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5976377-Replacing-the-Speaker-(turn-signal-sound-generator)-Inside-the-Instrument-Cluster
Do other audible warnings work straight away such as seatbelt off?

slabber
03-08-2014, 07:00 PM
See this (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?156046-What-components-are-involved-with-the-headlight-warning-chime) post where I explain that I think this is expected behaviour.