PDA

View Full Version : Potential Q7 Owner

h20ruf
15-12-2013, 12:43 AM
Looking to get a family car as my L200 just doesn't cut it as the sole vehicle in the household, we tried for 3 months but it's a nightmare as if one person is out, the other is housebound.

So, been looking at Touareg, Range Rover Sport, Merc ML and Q7.

We've had a 2005 Touareg, and loved it, but wanted something a bit newer, and the mk2 Touareg just doesn't cut it for us. We discounted the others due to reliability, and really we have always loved the Q7.

Got 1 toddler and another baby due in May, and always loved big cars, as we like to head to Europe, and also spend weekends away in the UK, so love the comfort and ease of a big bus.

Got a mate looking at a 2006 3.0tdi S Line for me tomorrow, and if he gives it the thumbs up, we will probably go for it.

Got loads of questions regarding firmware and map upgrades, ipod comparability, engine and gearbox remaps, and probably more.

See you on the rest of the forum.

Cockney Boy
15-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Get one with MMI 3G (HDDversion) then you won't have any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

h20ruf
15-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Not got a huge budget, so probably won't be able to get he newer version.

Mate looked at one for me today, saved me a 6 hour round trip, 1 owner, etc etc, and the guy pretended he knew nothing of both sides of the car being painted. Mad.

was due to look at another, and apparently the emissions light "just came on" and it needs a blast down the motorway to put it out...so, mate, you want me to give you £16000, and you can't run it for an hour to clear the DPF?? See ya!

Sure we will find something.

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Depending on the year it may not have a DPF fitted and may have an actual engine fault :)

Welcome to VWAF, I've moved this thread to the Q7 section.

Cockney Boy
15-12-2013, 05:10 PM
You can always get a 3G upgrade, not that expensive to do either.

h20ruf
15-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Depending on the year it may not have a DPF fitted and may have an actual engine fault :)

Welcome to VWAF, I've moved this thread to the Q7 section.

Late 2007

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Late 2007

On the borderline, check for the option code 7GN on the data sticker in the spare wheel well and if you see 7GN then no DPF is fitted.

If the light looked like below then there is an engine fault.

http://japanautocare.com/images/display/48

h20ruf
15-12-2013, 07:15 PM
You can always get a 3G upgrade, not that expensive to do either.

Whats the benefits and how much?

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Whats the benefits and how much?

To be honest, not many. It's just replacing the whole MMI with the new system plus alot of ballache with component protection and gathering all the bits together.

Plus you can't update the maps easy like you could with 2G.

Cockney Boy
15-12-2013, 08:25 PM
To be honest, not many. It's just replacing the whole MMI with the new system plus alot of ballache with component protection and gathering all the bits together.

Plus you can't update the maps easy like you could with 2G.

Id have to disagree. The overall update does include the complete removal of the 2G system, but you will get a JokeBox, 2 x SD slots, Ipod Connectivity. High res screen and the maps show 3D topographics and landmarks in cities.

You will however need to part with a few grand, but if you travel overseas quite a bit then its a well worth while upgrade. have a chat with Gareth at hazzy Dayz (say you spoke to Richard with the Q7) as gareth has full VAS he can remove all componet protection within seconds.

MMi 3G High HD Navigation with Bluetooth SDS High DVD Player (http://hazzydayz.com/mmi-3g-high-hd-navigation-with-bluetooth-sds-high--dvd-player-2968-p.asp)

MMi 3G High Full Postcode and 2013 Maps with latest firmware update (http://hazzydayz.com/mmi-3g-high-full-postcode-and-2013-maps-with-latest-firmware-update-3223-p.asp)

And there is a map update that now supports full post code. and yes future map updates wont be done via an Audi dealer as Chris mentioned.

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 08:28 PM
£2,495 I'd rather put that towards a newer car!

Edit - thats without VAT!

Cockney Boy
15-12-2013, 08:56 PM
The cheapest Q7 with 3G I've found is about £29k, a half decent private sale spec 2007 one is about £20k, sound a bargain to me :) and Cash is king to lose the VAT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mbectb
15-12-2013, 09:11 PM
In early q7's engine management light pops mainly due to faulty intake manifolds this can be put right at approx £300 all you need is do diagnostic scan while inspecting the car. Normally audi dealership will charge approx £1000 for set of 2 manifolfs so this is good point to knock the price 1 grand down :)

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Guest 2
15-12-2013, 09:12 PM
All V6 diesels are prone to that, the facelifts and generally 09 onwards less susceptible but still.

mbectb
15-12-2013, 09:21 PM
Generally when you are looking for pre 2008 q7 there are couple od things you should pay attention to. Injectors does the engine starts easily when cold, does the revs judder when stationary, does it smoke when left on idle for more than 10 mins. Is there timing chain rattle when engine is started from cold these are the most expensive bits to change and they wont throw any errors on vcds scan. You need to check condition of air pump for air suspension if is overheating it needs servicing or may be leak somewhere in the system. Manifolds, throttle body etc... other things are usually cheap to put right...

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

h20ruf
17-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Got a 2008 240ps one to look at in the next couple of days, how do you check over heating of air suspension?

After our Touareg, we realise NOTHING is cheap with these big beasties!

Guest 2
17-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Get a fault code scan or arrange an inspection with the aa or RAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

h20ruf
17-12-2013, 11:13 PM
On the borderline, check for the option code 7GN on the data sticker in the spare wheel well and if you see 7GN then no DPF is fitted.

If the light looked like below then there is an engine fault.

http://japanautocare.com/images/display/48

Apparently intake flap!

Being done today.

Will pop and have a look later this week.

h20ruf
23-12-2013, 07:08 PM
No DPF! Winner winner chicken dinner!