PDA

View Full Version : Stop/Start and Auto hold - ridiculous combination on DSG

Yellowduck
14-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Very happy with my new DSG Highline bluemotion.....but what a stupid combination having stop/start and auto hold. The idea of auto hold is that when you come to a stop you do not have to keep your foot on the brake to stop the car creeping forward, with the brake released when you push the accelerator. With the stop/start on the DSG, when you come to a stop with the footbrake pressed, the engine turns off. As soon as you take your foot off the brake to take advantage of the auto hold (and stop dazzling the driver behind with brake lights, the engine immediately starts, even though you may not want to pull away for a couple of minutes.........absolutely bloody stupid. I appreciate both can be used independently, but they should be able to be used together. Does anyone know if the stop/start can be turned off completely? I know it can be turned off every time the car is started, but would prefer to disable it completely!!!

bertj
15-12-2013, 12:47 PM
If you come to a halt by braking and immediately you stop take your foot off the brake, the engine will continue running and the auto hold will stop the car moving; as soon as you press the accelerator the car will move off. The engine will only stop if you press and hold down the brake pedal for more than a couple of seconds. It needs a bit of practice to judge how quickly to get your foot off the brake pedal to prevent the engine stopping. This is particularly useful if you know that you're only stopping for a few seconds.
I share your concern about the brake lights staying on with your foot on the brake pedal and the engine stopped. However, it now seems to be the norm for drivers not to use the handbrake when stopped at lights etc. I was taught not to dazzle the driver behind with my brake lights but this idea seems to no longer apply. It's also debatable whether you should keep your foot on the brake pedal when stopped in case someone runs into the back of you and shunts you into oncoming traffic.

CovRob
17-12-2013, 08:50 PM
While my DSG Alltrack was recently in for service I was loaned a new 63 reg Golf DSG. The stop-start on that was configured differently so that it stopped the engine when coming to a halt on the footbrake, the auto-hold engaged and you could release the footbrake and the engine stayed off. It would re-start when touching the accelerator, allowing you take your foot off the footbrake without engine restarting. It seems VW are evolving how the systems interact incrementally and model by model.

bertj
18-12-2013, 12:50 PM
That's a very sensible change to the DSG stop/start system. I wonder if it's a software change and could it be applied to older cars?

Europa25
29-12-2013, 04:08 AM
I'm really not sure that stop/start saves you anything in the long run.

The price of a new starter motor and /or flywheel, vastly outweigh the cost of a few drop of diesel surely ?

Coupled with the fact that the battery is much higher performance, so probably in excess of £200+, I think it's more of a gimmick than a realistic 'eco' solution.

Sense will tell us when to switch the engine off, not a money making 'chip' :)

mdrandall
01-05-2014, 12:34 PM
My 2011 CC has start / stop with auto hold and generally I am getting used to it. However, I would also like the system to only restart as I apply pressure to the accelerator as holding a foot on the brake for any long period can be tiring.

Also, dos anyone know if the delay before it cuts the engine can be adjusted? I like to look ahead and decide if I want the engine to cut based on the length of queue ahead. If it looks like a short stop then a wait until the
auto hold kicks in and take my foot of the brake straight away. If I time it right, I can keep the engine running but auto hold engaged. But often I can miss time it and the engine cuts only to be restarted immediately.
Maybe there is a time setting value in VCDS?

skip24ftlb
04-04-2016, 12:12 PM
Can the start stop be configured to automatically default to off in the computer when you start the car ?
I bloody hate it and I've serious concerns about how much wear and tear this system creates to the timing chain, tensioners etc. I plan to keep the car a long time.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

daveo138
05-04-2016, 05:50 PM
I've got into the habit of turning off the stop/start every time I start the engine.

I also had a loan of a B8 Passat recently and that does stay stopped until you press the accelerator.

The one (of many) annoying thing(s) was that when using autohold, you take your foot off the brake and the brake lights stay on. They will only go off if you engage the handbrake.

There were a lot of things I didn't like about the B8, so I won't be having one - not by choice, anyway!

cattytown
11-06-2017, 07:15 PM
What I have noticed with mine is that I stop, the engine stops. I can pop it in park and the engine stays stopped if I then take my foot off the brake.