PDA

View Full Version : Software Improvement Suggestions

wattsn
11-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi there

Having owned my 2013 A8 for over 4 months now I have identified a number of areas where improvement could be made to the electronics / UI in the vehicle and just wondering if there is a forum or avenue for me to post these to make them available to Audi for possible future updates. My current, albeit short, list of improvements are

1. I would like an option in the MMI to set the pop-up screen to retract automatically after a set period of time. Whilst I adore the large screen I tend to drive with it in the down position as find it sometimes distracting, particularly at night. And with the quite superb instrument display there really is little need for it to be in the permanent up position. So I would like an option to choose a delay after which it automatically retracts (say 15s, 30s, 60s) and only to pop up when a control system in the car requires it (seat control, parking camera/s, MMI button pressed, etc) after which it retracts again according to the time delay chosen.

2. When you have set a route in the Nav I would like to have an additional menu option in the instrument display when you press the steering wheel menu button. Currently, the only two options offered are STREET VIEW or NAVIGATION VIEW. I would like an additional option which is "Mute voice commands" and when chosen it would then change to "Unmute voice commands". I often set a route just to get a calculated ETA and therefore do not require the spoken commands. However, whilst not hugely cumbersome it does take a few button presses, scrolling and further press to simply mute and then again to unmute. Also, if you choose to 'Mute voice commands" whether through the exitsing screen method, or desired instrument display option, it should, in my mind, reset to default (spoken commands unmuted) when that route is finished (you have reached your destination).

3. Finally, and this is one I am amazed Audi have missed, is that as I have the surround view system with cameras in the undersides of the door mirrors, if I am parking at night in a darkened area then all 4 cameras are pretty useless. However, whilst the front and rear cameras get some benefit from the vehicle lights the side cameras do not. So why therefore do they not set it so if the exterior lights are on (ie it is in the hours of darkness) then when you engage reverse and the camera system is engaged the curteousy lights in the door mirrors light up to assist the view from the side cameras.

To me these are pretty simple things which would enhance the overall use of the vehicle, maybe just for me, but do believe these could be useful options for many others.

How does one raise such improvement requests to Audi?

Thanks.

Guest 2
11-12-2013, 09:15 PM
You'd be wasting your time even considering to suggest something! :p

wattsn
11-12-2013, 09:41 PM
Oh dear like that is it? :( What is it with these manufacturers. So bloody pig headed.

snapdragon
12-12-2013, 08:48 PM
I think if they changed the features or mode of operation some vexatious American would say it caused them to crash as it didn't behave as per the manual and caused a synaptic misfire.