PDA

View Full Version : Camshaft Broken Audi A4 S Line 2007

McGarry
11-12-2013, 11:59 AM
I have a 2.0 TDI S Line cabrio with 80K miles, with full dealer service, never driven hard or abused. I am at a loss as to why a Camshaft would break, does anyone have any experience with this. I also have a VW Passat estate with 150K mikes which has never given me a moments trouble. :confused::zx11:

Boy
11-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Did the cambelt break first? That might cause the shaft to break. I suspect that you have a B7 rather than a B8, so you might find more response in the B7 section.

zollaf
11-12-2013, 11:42 PM
how has it broken ? any pics. who has diagnosed it. not doubting it, just not something you see everyday. i have seen it happen, not on a vag only french and only along with a timing belt failure, as boy mentions above.

McGarry
14-12-2013, 05:23 PM
how has it broken ? any pics. who has diagnosed it. not doubting it, just not something you see everyday. i have seen it happen, not on a vag only french and only along with a timing belt failure, as boy mentions above.

Hi many thanks for reading. I Discovered it was not actually broken, lost a bit in disbelief and translation from the French Audi dealer.
Cam lobe is badly worn and the top of the cam follower has been pushed in. Looks to me like the follower was sticking and the lobe of the camshaft was pushing against it very hard. I have all the used parts and I will arrange pictures middle of the week, a friend with a decent camera is coming round to take the shots.
What sticks in my mind is it is not normal wear & tear, what also worries me is why the follower was sticking in the first place, dealer says they checked the oil pressure at idle and at revs and the pressure is good.

janmart94
14-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Hi I have just replaced the camshaft and followers on my 2.0 tdi cab after one of the lobes was badly worn and it had warn through the follower, quite a straight forward job, apparently it's quite a common fault on the pd engine which is what the bpw engine is based on, just google it and you will find lots of information,
I must be lucky though as my cab has nearly 160000 miles on now so it lasted a bit longer