PDA

View Full Version : PD 170 (BMR) - DIY Turbo refurb help - GTB1749VM

tubdub
10-12-2013, 12:21 PM
I am looking to get my car remapped but prior to that I will be blanking the EGR and removing the DPF. As the car is closing in on 110k I was thinking while I've got it in bits it may be worth doing a refurb on the turbo's internals for peace of mind, as I don't want it to start playing up few thousand miles after the remap.

A few years back I did this on my old PD130 that was on 120k. That had a GT1749V turbo, so I bought a £30 rebuild kit from ebay which had all the seals and bearings required. After doing the rebuild I had another 40k trouble-free miles before an accident sent it to the scrapheap in the sky.

The turbo on my current engine is a GTB1749VM and my question is does anyone know if the internals from this would be similar to the GT1749V? Reason I ask is that I can't find a rebuild kit that is specifically for the GTB1749VM, but there are loads for the GT1749V. I know there are lots of variations on this type of turbo but from what I understand most of the differences are just the position of the inlet and outlet and I'm hoping the innards are more or less identical. I won't be replacing the compressor, turbine or shaft, just the bits that are included in a kit like this: Garrett Turbocharger GT15 - 25 GT1749V Turbo rebuild / repair kit | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrett-Turbocharger-GT15-25-GT1749V-Turbo-rebuild-repair-kit-/321107705589?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac382bef5)

Any info is much appreciated.