PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DAB installation

kentishlad
08-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Hi, first post, so thought Id dive straight in with a topic that Ive seen a few times as a 'lurker'.
Picked up my car last week and sadly, despite having pretty much everything else in the car (nav, park assist etc. its a 3G I believe), I have no DAB.
Few questions if I may....
1. Does anyone know what DAB control unit will work on the 3G
2. What is generally the best way to fit the aerial for this (quarter light built in or elsewhere)
3. Seen a few 'official' audi DAB units on Fleabay and wondered if anyone had any success (£750 for a official fit seems a few quid too far)

Cheers

Plife
08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Based on my experience with DAB in my new Audi, I wouldn't bother.....it is rubbish! It drops out so often you cannot listen to it, doesn't even switch to FM properly. I have completely given up on it, which is a shame as it does sound better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

neilos100
08-12-2013, 08:46 PM
I upgraded to dab when my unit died last year...wouldn't be without it now. I dont use the built in aerial though....I bought a third party external one and it's brilliant.
Can't help with what you need I'm afraid though cos I have an Audi A6 and not sure if the parts are shared with the A4. I did a thread a while back called 'the day the music died' if you want to have a look.
Neil

Sent from my phone...

Guest 2
08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
As Neil says its a whole new unit and dab isn't separate so you're gonna have to stump up the cash or get a pure highway or something similar.

Did you check the Frequency menu when you press Radio just to make sure?

kentishlad
08-12-2013, 09:58 PM
As Neil says its a whole new unit and dab isn't separate so you're gonna have to stump up the cash or get a pure highway or something similar.

Did you check the Frequency menu when you press Radio just to make sure?

A whole new MMI??? I was under the impression you could just add the DAB control unit to the existing system. The frequency menu only lists FM, MW (which is woeful) and LW (does this still exist??) :biglaugh:

Guest 2
08-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Just the radio unit which is still a few hundred.

With MMI 2g and the non-MMI radios (Concert, Symphony) you can just add the module but with 3G they took that privelege away :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jamin128
23-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Afternoon All, I am looking to fit DAB to my 2008 A4 B8 with concert stereo.

Does anyone know what part numbers I will need, and if the antena is already built into the rear windscreen?

Thanks in advance :-)

Regards
Ben

Guest 2
23-04-2014, 01:41 PM
To correct my post above, I think for OEM on the normal headunits you need to replace it for one with DAB built in (ie black glossy fronted radio as below)

Either do that or look for AutoDAB (youtube videos a plenty, nice hidden oem inteface).

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/zz90/57_audi/Courtesy%20Cars/a5sportback/IMG_2090.jpg~original

Almur
29-05-2014, 04:43 PM
To correct my post above, I think for OEM on the normal headunits you need to replace it for one with DAB built in (ie black glossy fronted radio as below)

Either do that or look for AutoDAB (youtube videos a plenty, nice hidden oem inteface).

Do you have a Ball Park figure for the above unit? (Or part number)

I would like DAB and would be happy to upgarde my system, I guess the old unit would be worth something?

blackwood42
27-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Hi Guys, just thought this might help, I have an A4 B8 with MMI 3G and wanted DAB... I tried a Dension add on unit, didn't work, tried an Autodab, again no joy, and have now gone with a Fistune unit which piggybacks onto the existing unit, just need to enable DAB mode with VCDS. I've also tried the factory window aerial which isn't great to say the least, I now use a 3rd party mag mounted separate antenna which works great. All works exactly like the factory unit, total cost around £300.. Hope that helps!
Cheers, Paul