PDA

View Full Version : New F3 Engine Scores On Its Debut

stuart
09-09-2007, 06:12 PM
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/mainsite/f3.jpg

The new Volkswagen Formula 3 engine enjoyed a successful race debut at the Nürburgring in Germany at the weekend (1/2 September), where it claimed a brace of top-10 finishes in the Formula 3 Euro Series.
The new 210 PS 2-litre engine powered the RC Motorsport Dallara F306 of German driver Maximilian Götz to sixth place in Saturday’s 13th round of the championship. Götz went on to take ninth on Sunday.
‘We are highly satisfied with the debut of our new F3 engine,’ said Volkswagen Motorsport Director Kris Nissen, ‘which has proved itself competitive right from the outset. Our goal is to equip six cars with our engines next year and to contest all rounds of the Formula 3 Euro Series.’
Added Götz: ‘Tests suggested the potential of the new engine but now we know for sure where we stand: very close to the competition. It was a perfect debut and a great reward for everyone involved in this project.’
The Dallara of Götz’s American team-mate Jonathan Summerton was damaged in a first-lap incident on Saturday and he struggled to the line 18th. He had problems also on Sunday: ‘I was hit again, and this time the rear wing was damaged. But my car had very good balance and my laps were fast and consistent.’ Summerton placed 15th.
The Dallara-Volkswagen of Germany’s Marco Holzer finished 20th and 14th in respective races.
Nico Hülkenberg, driving an ASM Dallara-Mercedes, won on Saturday and Harald Schlegelmilch, at the wheel of an HS Technik-prepared machine, was the victor on Sunday. Frenchman Romain Grosjean leads the championship, the next rounds of which are at the Circuit de Catalunya in three weeks.