PDA

View Full Version : A4 oil consumption

jackievivas
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi guys,

my first post since being an Audi driver.
Bought a A4 Avant 2.0 tfsi quattr0 with 49k on clock, bought via a private sale....
This car has been burning lots of oil, Audi Wearside have performed oil consumption test which showed its burning 3.1 litre per 1000km.

Audi say they will cover 100% parts and 30% labour to replace pistons and con rods. leaving me to pay the £2400 remaining.

Could people pleae give me some advice. Are Audi UK generous here or should they be pauing the whole amount as i think they should. Obviously they are saying as I never bought it within the Audi network the dont have to do anything at all.
Anyone know of anyone who has had a similar experience and got full good will?

I love this car and am gutted with how this has happened to an Audi Engine. Is it a common thing?

Thanks guys

Zenerdiode
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Is it a common thing? - A quite a few 2.0TFSi are showing this trait. There are two TPIs that cover high consumption on this engine. One is to replace the crankcase ventillation device on the cylinder head/rocker cover (with an ECU software update) and the other is the pistons job. I had the pistons job done on mine as it was consuming around 1 litre per 1000km. It was carried out within the warranty period but I had only 21,000 miles on the clock.

3.1 litre per 1000km is incredibly excessive - that means you will have had 3 top-up warnings during the consumption test. Wow.

You don't say how old the car is. Just out of warranty; or long gone? Goodwill is just that - not an obligation. Have you tried another Audi dealership in the area? You're not far from Newcastle Audi.

Following the job, my consumption is not as good as my old 1.8T engine, but it has dramatically reduced and within acceptable limits. Bank on about a week for the job, so very roughly 30-odd hours at £100-odd an hour isn't too far away from the £3428 you have been quoted labour wise.

jackievivas
03-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks Zener...

the he oil light came on after 3 days of consumption test so just took it straight back and they weighed what was left, that's the result they told me 3.1/1000km. The car is a 59 plate with 49k, so out of warranty. I dunno how is stand if I took it to another dealer, aren't all the computers linked?
the other thing that worries me is the after performance, sounds like yours is still losing oil even though still toward acceptable level?

jackievivas
05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Shat if I chose not to get the work done and just keep putting oil in?

b206
05-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Personally I would ask them to do another test - sounds like they are going off just 3 days worth of usage ?
How many miles did you do during the 3 days ?
If they quickly topped up the oil using the MMI (which isn't accurate) perhaps it wasn't full to begin with ?
Had a similar issue with my A4 (3.2l V6) - after the service the oil latest 5000 miles before the light came on, so I topped up using the MMI, but I was constantly adding oil when using the MMI. So I left it until the light came on again and topped up with a 1l bottle (maximum you can add when the light comes on) I was then back to 5k before top ups.

Perhaps ask for an oil change and consumption test.

jackievivas
05-12-2013, 10:43 AM
I had a full service the same day as consumption test so oil was spot on, managed about 270 mile before warning light came on, so took it straight back in

mikeybutch
05-12-2013, 04:32 PM
As the owner of a B6 2.5tdi 120k that uses no oil I find this shocking and puts me off thinking of trading up to a later Audi.I recall times when it was accepted that engines used oil and it was necessary to overhaul them regularly and decoking my 60s Triumph every 40k or so but why would Audi allow such poor standards to return and not do everything possible to rectify the problem .Its as bad as bringing back the built in rust that cars used to come with from new

Niko
05-12-2013, 06:54 PM
As the owner of a B6 2.5tdi 120k that uses no oil I find this shocking and puts me off thinking of trading up to a later Audi.I recall times when it was accepted that engines used oil and it was necessary to overhaul them regularly and decoking my 60s Triumph every 40k or so but why would Audi allow such poor standards to return and not do everything possible to rectify the problem .Its as bad as bringing back the built in rust that cars used to come with from new
3 Audi A4 B8 2.0 Diesels with a combined 80k miles never put any oil in either, 140, 170 and 177 engines.

a5hers
10-01-2014, 02:40 PM
My A5 2.0t FSI Cab 2010 had 70k and burnt one litre every 380 miles! Audi bypassed the level 1 repair (crank case breather and remap) and advised the full stage 2 with new Pistons/rings/rods! £4600!! Audi Germany contribute £1500 which is 70% of the parts cost! The remaining £3100 can then be split between Audi (Local dealer) Independent garage and owner...or any combination!
Mine is currently in for Stage 2 and I have a brand new Loaner...A5 Quattro! to run around in.
Local Audi dealer and my Independent have agree to foot the full cost of repairs. IMO a 3 way split! Fantastic outcome...since it's out of Warranty and bought from an Indi!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

wicked677
10-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Always keep an emergency 1litre bottle in the spare wheel bay, it's a lifesaver :)

didkobandita
13-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Hi all
I am shocked too while reading this post. I have the 2.0TDI 170BHP 2008 with 55K on the clock and i have not added any oil between oil changes.
What is the service history of the car? 3.1l sounds like lifetime oil burning for a modern engine :)

glendog74
24-04-2014, 07:40 PM
We had the same happen on our 2.0TFSI - excessive oil consumption and ludicrously low mpg figures.

Thankfully ours was sorted under warranty but this sadly seems an all too common issue with the petrol turbo cars... :mad:

markp306
25-04-2014, 12:38 AM
3 Audi A4 B8 2.0 Diesels with a combined 80k miles never put any oil in either, 140, 170 and 177 engines.

Same here for 2.0 TDI (143 and 177). Both good as gold on the oil front.
But the 143 chewed its flywheel instead, so similar Audi aggro and also with significant costs. :zx11:

wicked677
25-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Audi independant informed me that it is a known problem as apparently (at least my petrol was) the engine is made by Nissan and they fitted incorrect piston rings, which means that they will leak in extra oil that will be burnt off. The only advice he gave me was to get rid of the car (of which I have done now) as the repair bill is too expensive. There is no cure for the issue and any work w/pistons should be avoided... Unfortunately that is the situation and Audi will not admit fault w/engines. Have since purchased a 520d BM...

_tones
25-04-2014, 11:42 AM
I have the 1.8TFSI 120bhp and it is the first car I have owned where I have had to top up between between services. The top ups fall in between Audi tolerance but it is still a pain. Need to top up approxiametly every 2-3k miles. My previous car could do more than 15k miles and still didn't need topping up before service was due.

markp306
25-04-2014, 02:17 PM
made by Nissan...

That's a new one on me!

So who makes our diesels then .... or did you just prefer BMW's 2 litre?

wicked677
25-04-2014, 07:53 PM
This is what I heard from the Audi Indep. Unless he is lying but I do not see any reason why he would. I had a 1.8litre petrol turbo known as the TSFI... but yup, according to him it's a nissan engine.. and they fitted the wrong piston rings at production, kind of hush hush apparently which is why audi won't admit fault and recall affected engines. Unless I have misinterepted what he told me, but definetely some kind of Nisaan connection...

Crazyfool
08-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Have a look at this. Audi A5 2.0T oil issue repair - out of warranty Please Help Audi A5 2.0T oil issue repair - out of warranty (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=158285)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazyfool
14-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I've just clicked off big time with Audi UK. They called me on Thursday and tried to Palm me off.

You may find the following of use, particularly the third link.

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for Defective Engines That Burn Oil | Consumer Law Magazine (http://consumerlawmagazine.com/audi-class-action-lawsuit-for-defective-engines-that-burn-oil/)

Audi in Trouble for Engines That Burn too Much Oil | ColdScoop (http://www.coldscoop.com/audi-in-trouble-for-engines-that-burn-too-much-oil/)

Audi Oil Consumption Class Action (http://margarianlaw.com/audi-oil-consumption-class-action/)

_tones
14-06-2014, 11:20 AM
I've just clicked off big time with Audi UK. They called me on Thursday and tried to Palm me off.

You may find the following of use, particularly the third link.

Audi Class Action Lawsuit for Defective Engines That Burn Oil | Consumer Law Magazine (http://consumerlawmagazine.com/audi-class-action-lawsuit-for-defective-engines-that-burn-oil/)

Audi in Trouble for Engines That Burn too Much Oil | ColdScoop (http://www.coldscoop.com/audi-in-trouble-for-engines-that-burn-too-much-oil/)

Audi Oil Consumption Class Action (http://margarianlaw.com/audi-oil-consumption-class-action/)

It is surprising how Audi have not admitted there is an issue with some petrol cars and are making people outside of warranty pay '000s to fix. The amount of damage it would do to their reputation may well outweigh the millions it will cost to put the problem right.

Crazyfool
14-06-2014, 01:16 PM
It's not when you realise just how much revenue is being generated by playing dumb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crazyfool
17-06-2014, 09:39 PM
My fun so far.

Friday night I drove to Cardiff for the weekend.

Sunday afternoon the car started to play up. It went very lumpy on acceleration. Called the AA out who revved the engine right up, then all the lights came on and the computer put the car in safe mode. Good job I wasn't on the motorway at the time! The diagnostic unit identified an issue with one of the engine coils, which the guy replaced. The car was then misfiring really badly, so I then had to be recovered. 11:30 I got home to Reading that night with a very tired 9 & 5 year old. The AA left the car outside Audis front door.

Yesterday morning I went to Audi where the guy said it's probably the spark plugs silted up with oil residue. That automatically made me think this whole oil issue really is common. Anyhow went home to pick up my laptop when Audi UK called me. Well he hardly got a word in edgeways; I went mental and told him not to call me again until he confirms the engine will be repaired free of charge.

In the afternoon I worked from the garage using their wifi. The spark plugs were replaced for free and they gave the car a good clean. (It's running fine now). Before I left I was told by the service guy that although I had the oil consumption test completed in Cardiff, because Reading was a different centre they would have to do it again!!!! I told him that it was fine but I'm not paying for it. He also indicated that it's the engines up to 2011 that has the excessive oil problems, he's not aware of any issues with the newer engines.

Today Audi uk told me I needed to have the test done again, 'then they will take it from there!!!'

Crazyfool
13-07-2014, 09:56 PM
The cars been repaired and eventually I paid £367 compared to the actual cost of £5,500. Hopefully I'll have trouble free driving until I sell the car, but I'm not feeling that confident!

Crazyfool
13-07-2014, 09:59 PM
Same here for 2.0 TDI (143 and 177). Both good as gold on the oil front.
But the 143 chewed its flywheel instead, so similar Audi aggro and also with significant costs. :zx11:

Yep the diesels have their own issues according to a mechanic in one of the main dealers I spoke to!

Paul Nisbet
22-07-2014, 08:11 PM
The cars been repaired and eventually I paid £367 compared to the actual cost of £5,500. Hopefully I'll have trouble free driving until I sell the car, but I'm not feeling that confident!

Thats a good result, I'm going through the same process just now. Any chance you can PM your story or give any guidance? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Crazyfool
03-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Thats a good result, I'm going through the same process just now. Any chance you can PM your story or give any guidance? Would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Sorry, I've only just seen your post. How did you get on?