PDA

View Full Version : BMW Vs Audi

Maniac
02-12-2013, 05:57 PM
No no, I don't want to start the usual 'war' like comparison thread lol.. I'm considering moving on from my BMW Z4 next year and the two cars I've whittled it down to are the BMW 5 series and Audi A7. Having driven both, to me, the BMW drives a bit better and is a bit more refined, plus the tech is good (concierge service etc as I use now). The Audi though I feel looks better inside and out and has more practicality.

Has anyone else faced the two as options and has anything swayed you one direction or another? Customer Service? Reliability? Pricing? etc?

The current car; so quite a change coming up;
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2856/10695688203_b67bd21f4f.jpg

M1tchy
02-12-2013, 06:11 PM
My options were an XF, 7 series or the A7. The XF looked a bit too plain outside, the 7 series was too plain inside and the A7 was stunning both in and out so settled on one of those. I think Audi cockpits are the best on the market (personal opinion) but the A7 is just so rare and such a striking design I had to have one. I love it and am so glad I went with the Audi, im sure either car will be great but the looks, comments and constant offers to swap cars is just awesome.

A7 is the way forward! ;-)

Wippa
02-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Having had z4 and currentky having an a7 I can tell you my thoughts.

The beemer is more "fun" to drive. Exhilirating with the roof off and built for curvey A roads. Downside are the obvious ones. Serious lack of boot space and the image or perception of it being a hair dressers car.

The a7 is more refined, luxurious, and beastly. Its a smoking jacket and slippers whikst underneath is a cocaine fuelled pill popping maniac. In my view its look are understated and classical. The z4 looks what it is. A sports car for two that goes like **** off a shovel.

I dont think you can compare thr 2 personally as theyre very different cars with very different target audiences. If I had a perfect life, id have the audi in the week and z4 at weekends.

As for the tech, on the very very high end I think bm nick it. Their integratation is sweet. Not withstanding the basic a7 is loaded and with afew grand more becomes a car for life.

All just my 2 penneth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Maniac
02-12-2013, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I am also tempted by the new Porsche Cayman S or a few years old 911 but I really want to try and stick with something a bit more practical and long term. I do love the look of the A7 but my experience driving the 3 litre quattro was poor, with lots of wind noise/cabin noise and steering that communicated nothing but vibration at standstill from the engine. I could have had a poor one that day, but I still really like the design and that hatch boot for practicality so I'm trying to listen to others experiences before going for a test drive in Spring to decide where to go next.

M1tchy
02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Have you had a read through the owners reviews thread on here?

Maniac
02-12-2013, 06:39 PM
I have but I think the issue with that is its not really a comparison. On every forum everyone thinks their car is best and what I really need is someone that's gone, yep, looked at all of those and thought this is why I bought the Audi to give me things to consider when looking. I think the Audi in terms of looks etc is a logical step from the Z4 as its still stylish and is low slung. The 5 series however is also very accomplished in terms of drive and I don't want a boring car to drive either. If I could combine the looks of the Audi with the dynamism of the BMW I'd be sold, as it is, I need to weigh things up a bit more before deciding really. ... I think ;)

EssexGonzo
02-12-2013, 10:06 PM
How about the 6 series Gran Coupe? Looks gorgeous IMHO.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Maniac
02-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I nearly bought one very recently but its 70K before options and even with a large dealer discount it was still a very very expensive car. I'd rather pay 70K off my mortgage (in fact that would nearly clear my mortgage off!). That's nearly double the price of the entry level A7.

EssexGonzo
02-12-2013, 10:23 PM
:eek::eek::eek: How much???

I agree, that's mortgage money. That's why I drive a £6k motor nowadays and overpay the mortgage.

Houses only depreciate at certain points of the economic cycle and appreciate everywhere else. Cars depreciate at EVERY point of the economic cycle and never appreciate (well not the ones we're on about!). :D

Maniac
02-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Indeed. TBH I love the Z4 but I really want (not need) something a bit more practical. It may turn out a better option to keep the Z4 and entertain your 6K DD approach, but before I get into two car ownership which is a bit indulgent, I wanted to explore a new 'keeper'.

It will be tough to let this go; 306bhp DCT, 5 sec 0-60, folding hard top etc...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3746/8985932534_4c98bdc5ef_z.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7187345516_409f0b1072_z.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8107/8482242788_47485119a3_z.jpg