PDA

View Full Version : How to remove HUD surround

M1tchy
01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
My HUD is rattling and doing my head in, its been to the local dealer who has made it worse. Does anyone know how to take the plastic surround off so I can silence it like ive had to do with the rest of the rattles in the car please?

Guest 2
01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
send me your email and i'll send you the diagram ;)

M1tchy
01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Done - Thanks

maverickguo
17-05-2016, 02:52 AM
Hi Chris, I have the same problem. Can u send me the diagram too? Thx a million.

A7apl
19-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Hi. I have the same too. Please email to me also. Thanks.

maverickguo
19-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Managed to figure out. Just pry the area facing you then pull towards you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonye60
19-05-2016, 06:21 PM
Once the surround is removed, what's the fix

maverickguo
20-05-2016, 12:57 AM
I drove without the HUD Cover the creaking sound reduces but still present which I traced to the upper layer of the dash the part nearest to windshield.

It's plastic rubbing plastic and maybe Teflon lubricant or stuff like amorall protectant would help.

wintervortex
18-06-2016, 06:15 PM
Hi Chris, could you send me the diagram too? Having the same issue with HUD rattle. 2016 A7. New to the forum -- not sure how to send PM.

shabazmo
18-06-2016, 09:33 PM
If the plastic is vibrating, you may have to pack the plastic edges before putting the top dash cover on. If that does not work then it is because the plastic has come away from the HUD cover it is glued on to. The solution may mean removing the HUD and re gluing the plastic bit to the HUD. To do that you have to remove the windscreen.

My HUD used to vibrate and eventually I got it fixed under warranty. The dealer first tried to pack it then took the HUD out for a more permanent fix.

wintervortex
19-06-2016, 03:57 AM
Thanks! How do I remove the cover? Is it the soft rubber/plastic bulbous part that sits directly above the dash?

andrewbarber
12-07-2016, 10:10 AM
Hi Chris - would you be able to send me the diagram too please (it's for a 2015 Q7 if that makes much of a difference ....). Thanks!

usmannh
09-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Hi Chris please send me the diagram too. I have an Audi A7 - it's has tiny particles of glass sitting in side the HUD from a previous windscreen replacement. Thanks

Goodeone
10-10-2016, 10:43 PM
Hi Usmannh
Are you sure the bits of glass are inside the HUD as it is a sealed unit and not even dust can get in until you undo 4 screws. If you need to remove the HUD to get at anything the windscreen needs to be removed. There is a common problem with these Hud's that looks like glass inside but is infact the mirror surface inside flaking off.

Alex c
12-09-2017, 02:03 PM
Hi Chris,
Sorry to resurrect this one - but I've been having the same issue for a long while, and finally cant take it any more!
Final straw was giving a lift to a friend, who could only mention the 'squeak' (arghhh).

Please can I have a link to the diagram/info for removal. The garage tried foam inserts, but it looks crap, and hasnt fixed it. Will do it properly myself.

Appreciate it,
Alex

M1tchy
12-09-2017, 09:02 PM
There is a proper, Audi recognised fix for this now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alex c
13-09-2017, 10:48 AM
There is a proper, Audi recognised fix for this now.

Sorry Mitchy, does this mean I can just take it to a dealer to resolve FOC?

M1tchy
13-09-2017, 02:29 PM
I did mate. They did it during a service and it was out of warranty.

pxr5
13-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm going to have to take mine back too. It's in warranty so should be no issues. Thing is, it doesn't happen all the time, but once it starts to vibrate (normally because of a rough surface) it won't stop until I leave the car a while.

Mitchy any more detail about the fix, for ammo against the dealer. Something to quote at them, a code or recall maybe.

I've also got an odd rattle from the passenger door, but I can't for the life of me figure out where it's coming from. That's worse than the hud rattle as it's all the time.

M1tchy
14-09-2017, 05:51 PM
Nothing further I’m afraid mate. I’ll check the receipt when I get home at the weekend. I told them about the issue and they said there was a fix issued by Audi. Got it sorted at Cheltenham Audi if they need to call them. They thought it was a screen out job but did it all in place

pxr5
14-09-2017, 07:56 PM
Mitchy - many thanks. Nice to know it's not a screen out job.

mReen
22-09-2017, 03:40 AM
Hi guys, I've posted a question in A6 C7 section, and sorry for cross-posting it here, but maybe someone could help me out.

So I've got 2013 A6 3.0 TDI SE and it had HUD installed as option. But it seems that there is an issue with it, image on the windshield looks like crazed/misted. At beginning I thought it's just a condensation, but actually HUD got some flaking on it's internal mirror. What options do I have to sort it out?

- Is it possible to remove HUD, repair flaked mirror and install it back again? How difficult is it to do (need to remove windshield as well I guess)?
- There are some used HUD units for sale on eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/) (part number 4G8 919 604), maybe it's better to get one of them and replace the whole HUD? Do I need to look for some particular part revision (last letter after 4G8 919 604), as I have UK right hand car, maybe HUDs from left hand cars are different?

Thanks in advance!

So as I understand, to remove HUD unit you need to take out the windshield.

What about used HUD units on eBay, do I need to look for some particular revision/part number for right-hand drive?

pxr5
19-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Well now I'm off work for Xmas I've eventually had time to get my car into Audi to sort out the HUD rattle - went in this morning. Of course they wanted evidence of the rattle, but like I've said it doesn't do all the time, particularly not at first. But I did send them a couple of YouTube video from my dash cam, which distinctly highlights the problem. As it's in they are are also doing a software update, which will probably wipe all the coding changes I've done. Anyway here are the videos:

REC_2017_12_08_13_23_59_F.MP4 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-B1A8fFmMc)

REC_2017_12_08_07_51_55_F.MP4 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCrPjUKvNN4)

M1tchy
20-12-2017, 10:55 AM
Software updates haven’t wiped any mods I’ve done previously [emoji1303]

pxr5
24-12-2017, 11:08 AM
Got my car back. HUD fix not done. The dealer needs to order a part in from Germany. Showing the pictures from the TPI it looks like a speaker frame that sits inside the dash. Hmm, we'll see on that one.

All my codings had gone due to the software update apart from Start/Stop initially off. So I had to redo lap timer, needle sweep, remote boot close.

I also got my nearside alloys refurbished. I kerbed them after having the car for less than a week. I was a bit worried as they were diamond cut, but the the repairs looks great.

I also noticed that I can't seem to get to Google Street View anymore since the update. Maybe this has something to do with Google being diabled on pre 19 cars. Google Street View (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/185669-Google-Street-View?highlight=google)

M1tchy
24-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Glad it’s back and sorted apart from the HUD. Strange as mine was done quickly - unless it was another Audi bodge!!

Shame about the street view although I’ve only ever used it to show off [emoji23][emoji23]

pxr5
23-01-2018, 07:19 PM
Well, just got my car back from Audi after they had it for 2 days to "fix" this HUD rattle. They had ordered some bit from Germany, but as I said before, from the TPI, it was for the speaker grill/frame - so I was dubious this wasn't the fix. And it wasn't. Even when driving back from the dealer it came back, even after their "extensive testing".

Mitchy, I could do with some more info, so I'm pm'ing you if that's OK.

SilviuM
06-03-2018, 02:56 PM
Hello, do you happen to have a hud mirror for audi a7 ? Thank you

BradG
23-09-2018, 01:01 PM
Would also love some instructions on removing the HUD surround panel please!! :)