PDA

View Full Version : A4 B7 Avant Retro fit RNS-E Poor radio reception - Fix Options

maverix
30-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi,

I've fitted an RNS-E with no issues, but the reception is poor. I though the avant system would be the same as the saloon, but after stripping everything back in a lot different. I have the kit from this guide:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/67896-converting-symphony-ii-antenna-system-use-rnse.html

as a start for possible changing. Any help would be appreciated.

Guest 2
30-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Have you had a fault scan done on the car?

That A3 kit is only for the A3 obviously as I fitted it to mine when upgrading.

maverix
30-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I have not done a code check, as everything is fine bar the poor reception. Was hoping that the A3 kit would be a swap over but sadly not. I'm wondering what else would work?

darich
30-11-2013, 11:20 PM
My radio was fine then suddenly deteriorated...got it scanned and it was a common problem...the antenna booster. It's expensive so I'm not replacing.

pdlh
01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
My understanding is there are 2 different types of antenna systems fitted to the A4, a single aerial system, and a dual diversity system, if you replaced a head unit on a B7 with Chrome knobs, you likely had a diversity aerial system, the Mk1 RNS-E uses the single aerial setup, I've read some where on the web about a VW Golf owner who swapped the a antenna amplifier and resolved the issue, but basically for most users, it's a limitation of the swap out.

I guess if you purchased from the factory with an RNS-E fitted, they supply with the other type of antenna system, anyway, if you find a simply solution, I'd love to hear as I get poor reception following my swap out to a Mk1 RNS-E. I must admit, I wonder if you swap to a Mk2 RNS-E if it's designed for the new aerial system.

Here is another thread about this same issue: RNS-E aerial (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?147168-RNS-E-aerial&p=820305#post820305)

slippyr4
02-12-2013, 10:46 AM
What pdlh said is correct. If you're in a reasonable reception area it's just not a problem, but if your reception is marginal then it may not work well.

The Mk 2 RNS-E still uses the old antenna setup, and it's no better (I have one).

If your car was RNS-E specified from factory it would have got the other aerial amp installed. I looked (briefly) into an aerial amp retofit but it seems like a lot more effort than it's worth. For a start the amp itself is buried quite deeply behind the left side panel in the boot and it's a major job to get that out (you need to remove the rear seats and so on). Then, there are several versions of the amp with different inputs based on other features installed in the car ( TV reception etc). You also need different glass.