PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 TDI Rear Suspension Knock problem?????

broomeyMk3TDI
09-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Hi
I'm new to the forum looks really good....

I have a problem with my rear suspension everytime i go over drain covers its makes a loud knocking sound... almost like having a boot full of bricks.!

Any idea's??

Could it be the rear axle bushes?

Cheers Tom

a8 tech
09-09-2007, 07:57 AM
oh yes tom there isnt much else at the back to fail but check the shocker bushse as well

BugsyMalone666
10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
rear axle bushes are a right B*astard to do, did mine at the weekend.

few things to check:

firstly, look at the aluminium sheilding that shelds the petrol tank from the exhaust, one of the star things that holds it in place on mine came off and that rattle a fair amount like a knock.

rear shock absorbers, the bump stops can perish and could make it knock a bit.

look at the rear axle bushs for perishing, check for movement, if they are gone, try and afford for someone to do it who has the tools to do so, its a right ******* of a job and it took me 2 days to do with a big hammer, GSF do a tool for putting mk4 axle bushes in but apparently mk3 ones are different and the tools impossible to get hold of for some reason.

broomeyMk3TDI
11-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the reply...

i think it is the axle bushes because i had all the shocks and springs replaced 2 months ago. I noticed today the left hand side makes the most knocks so it could be the sheilding above the exhaust.

Will check it out today.

Thanks Tom

broomeyMk3TDI
14-09-2007, 11:53 AM
rear axle bushes are a right B*astard to do, did mine at the weekend.

few things to check:

firstly, look at the aluminium sheilding that shelds the petrol tank from the exhaust, one of the star things that holds it in place on mine came off and that rattle a fair amount like a knock.

rear shock absorbers, the bump stops can perish and could make it knock a bit.

look at the rear axle bushs for perishing, check for movement, if they are gone, try and afford for someone to do it who has the tools to do so, its a right ******* of a job and it took me 2 days to do with a big hammer, GSF do a tool for putting mk4 axle bushes in but apparently mk3 ones are different and the tools impossible to get hold of for some reason.

Did the knock go away when you fitted the new bushes? and also what bushes did you fit i'm thinking of having Powerflex uprated bushes fitted as they will last longer. Cheers Tom

BugsyMalone666
01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
my axle bushes had a fair bit of pershing and they didnt knock, what was knocking was the exhaust against the heatsheild by the spare wheel well.

when i took the axle out to do the bushes, i also had to take the exhaust system off(nothing is ever easy) so i messed about with the heat shield, it was one of the funny start shape clips that hold it in place, so i pushed it back in place and it lasted fine for about 500-600 miles then started knocking against the exhaust again when i go over really big bumps. I guess i need to find a source of new clips.

the rear axle bushes are a right bugger to do yourself, if i`d known someone who could have done it i would have probably paid them so i didnt have the agro,i fitted standard GSF rubber/metal stock ones.

I have been reading on other threads on this forum and a few people have mentioned how the powerflex bushes transmit more noise into the car, im not sure they would last longer to be honest, you think about how many years your current bushes have lasted, are you going to keep the car forever? I have just changed my bushes at 101,000 miles, if the cars still going strong at 201,000 miles id replace them again if they needed it with stock type.

Having used polyurethene mounts for my beetle gearbox I have seen how they can crack so im not overly keen, my cars one that does alot of miles, if it is true about the noise would mean on long journeys you`d end up putting up with alot of road noise thats transmitted through the axle bushes into the body itself.