PDA

View Full Version : Air Con won't switch on?

Pauls898
25-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Audi A4 SE 3.0L TDI Q

I tried my Air con today because it hasn't been on for a while as I like to keep it active even in the winter times.

But today on pressing the AC Button the Red LED only lights briefly while pressing the button and won't turn on??

Could this be a fuse gone? a pressure switch? or something else?

Don't really want expensive garage bills :-(

Thanks

kite
25-11-2013, 07:28 PM
It may need a regas.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Pauls898
25-11-2013, 08:05 PM
It may need a regas.

Would that stop it being turned on?

Last time it did work, it was fine if even too cold, but maybe its leaked out? I'll have to take it along to Audi then see what they say, was thinking of checking things like fuses in the first instance, but don't know where to look :-(

kite
25-11-2013, 08:18 PM
If the system has low gas the pressure sensor stops the compressor from running, that stops the air con from ruining the compressor.
If a regas doesn't fix the problem scan the car for faults.

Pauls898
10-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Well I had the system re-gased drove car away from Garage AirCon working brillently, left the car parked up for just 2 weeks, came to use it again today..... Same problem??? Surely it can't have all leaked out again in such a short time and they said that the system had no leaks?? What's going on?

kite
10-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Take it back for a leak test.

Pauls898
10-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Take it back for a leak test.

Yes it's booked in again on Thursday?

What could be leaking? They said it was fine last time? could it be one of the two valves they fill it from? If the leak was else where then surely they would have picked it up?

Boy
10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Did they tell you how much gas they put in last time? If they only had to top up the pressure, it could mean that you have a pressure switch problem. If a scan will help, I am in Malvern and have VCDS.

Pauls898
11-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Did they tell you how much gas they put in last time? If they only had to top up the pressure, it could mean that you have a pressure switch problem. If a scan will help, I am in Malvern and have VCDS.

Wel the cars is nearly 5 years old its an 09 plate and the air con been fine till a few weeks back and I have never touched it. When it first went in with this problem 2 weeks ago they said the system was complety empty, I asked how much gas they put in and they said it was 0.6kgs it's done by weight apprently so that to me seems quite a lot lol.

This is RPM @ Malvern, don't know whether you know them, they are very good I get the car serviced there now as Audi are a complete joke when it comes to thier pricing!! They wanted something like £183.00 per hour!!!!
and on my first service Audi charged me but didn't fit a polen filter, after that I haven't gone back to them!! They said they had changed it, when I took a look it was still full of dead flys lol.

I was told that the air con system doesnt show up on the fault codes? so I don't think a scan will help not unless you know different?

Thanks

Boy
11-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Paul, I don't know different. I assume that is correct. If they said it was empty and filled it, they should have done a leak test first. They should do that now and perhaps without charge, though if they now find a leak, that will have been the original problem. Keep us posted please.

belly buster
12-12-2013, 12:22 AM
I heard from someone (maybe here) that you should leave the Air Con on 100% of the time to get longevity out of the system and reduce build up of bacteria.

Pauls898
12-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Paul, I don't know different. I assume that is correct. If they said it was empty and filled it, they should have done a leak test first. They should do that now and perhaps without charge, though if they now find a leak, that will have been the original problem. Keep us posted please.

Yes Thanks

No they said before that they did a leak test first and it was fine? all I can think is it must be one of the two valves that they fill it though that's leaking?

I will keep you posted the car goes in tomorrow morning, lets hope it's not expensive to fit :-(

Pauls898
12-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Well an update, took my car into RPM this morning they said the AirCon system had lost 300g of Gas again! there should be 600g apprently, so this time they have re-filled it and added in a bit of Yellow dye so next time it leaks out it should leave a trace which can be seen via a UV torch? But he recons it will be the Condenser at front of car as those normally get damaged by a stone flying up :-) So I'll have to wait till it goes again and then they hopefully find where its all going???

Pauls898
14-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Well an update, things have now changed :-( The light on the switch stays on now, but there's now no cooling what's so ever? even those metal pipes under the bonet don't get cold????
Do you think that with them adding in extra "Dye" into the system has buggerred it up good and proper? and is there a way of flushing though the system to get this dye out?
I don't want to visit Audi as I can see this costing me £100's to put right money which I can't afford :-(

kite
14-12-2013, 08:09 PM
If the light doesn't go out the system knows it has low gas and will not switch on the pump..

Pauls898
15-12-2013, 12:19 PM
The symtoms were it's been fine for 5 years! well since the car was new, it's an 09 plate. Then 2 weeks ago I tried to turn on the aircon the the light went straight back off!
Having found that Audi want £183.00 per hour just to even look at it!! I decided to take it to my independant garage who service it. Sure enough they said that there was no gas in the system so re-charged it. Everything was working fine, nice cold icy air coming out the vents :-) I then didn't use the car for 2 weeks then the next time I used it the same thing happened, on pressing the AC button the light would go straight back off. I then returned to garage for them to check again, on inspection yes they said it had lost gas again!! As no leak could be found they re-charged it again this time adding in a little extra Dye to aid finding the leak? However now I find I can press the AC button the light this time stays on, but there's no cooling at all??? So this seems a different fault??? I think I need to take it back again. :-(

kite
15-12-2013, 12:32 PM
IAre you pressing the "econ" button ?
If the light on this button is on the air con is off.
It does sounds like a bad leak somewhere.

Pauls898
15-12-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't have an "Econ Button" it's labled A/C it's the centre button inbetween the two screen dimist buttons? you press it the RED Led lights cold air comes out, you press it again the Aircon goes off, that's how it's always worked? Which model you referring too? this is on a 09 Plate B8 SE TQE 3.0L TDI

kite
15-12-2013, 08:34 PM
OK. On previous models there is an econ button.

Pauls898
17-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Car went back into garage to find the leak. They found the leak it's a split pipe the part alone costs £111.00 plus to fit it they have to remove the front of the car!! So total cost £324.00 which for the amount of work involved I didn't think was too bad :-)
Let's hope that fixes the problem?

kite
17-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Shame they didn't find it first time.

Pauls898
17-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Shame they didn't find it first time.

Well it hasn't cost me any more, it must be a very slight leak as Aircon System say's it's fine, but after about two days it's all leaked out :-) Hence they added some yellow dye to find where it was going, apprently it's the pipe which goes from Compressor to Condenser which has split where the rubber pipe joins the metal one, and to get to it the front of car has to come off!!

kite
17-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Putting the front into "service position" is no drama. Check everything lines up after the job.

Pauls898
17-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Putting the front into "service position" is no drama. Check everything lines up after the job.

What do you mean by "Service Position"? does it just pop out on extention arms or something? Sonds like a big job to me???

kite
17-12-2013, 02:31 PM
The bumper cover comes off and the front slides forward giving you room to work. The rad and condenser can also be swung to the side. I bet there are clips of it on YouTube.

gregpot2000
18-12-2013, 01:54 PM
One thing to add....I think the Air-con automatically switches off at temperatures less than 12oC outside to prevent damage to the compressor.

When I say off though, the light should stay on all the time if you have turned it on. Just the cooling function won’t work

Pauls898
18-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Thank gregpot2000 I didn't know that about the aircon switching off below 12 c as I do use it in the winter to demist the windows, works a treat.

An update, got my car repaired today, apparently the pipe from the compressor to the condenser had failed, part number SK0260701R this cost £111.98 + VAT so not cheap!! Plus the front of the car had to come off including the headlights to get at it.

I got the service guy to show me the failed part and what had happened was the metal part had been chaffing up against a wiring loom and had worn away the aluminum to a point where it had made a hole!! I couldn't believe that could have happen, but then again these pipes are so tightly squeezed into a very small space, so anyone with a 3.0 TDI I would go and check yours for the same issue.

The garage has tied the cable loom up out the way so it doesn't happen again!!