PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Parking Sensors in 06 Passat

mac500
08-09-2007, 11:15 PM
I am considering installing Parking Sensors on my 2006 VW Passat 1.9 TDI and have perused the excellent advice and detailed instructions (particularly those posted by Flash2) on the retrofitting of Cobra ParkMaster sensors on the 06 Passat as contained in ..thread.php?=9652 and php?t=9237.
Before proceeding there are a few points on which I would welcome further guidance.

The precise drilling points for the four sensors must obviously be determined very accurately. You only get one chance. These (courtesy of Flash2 ) are inner sensors 350mm either side of the centre. Outer sensors 650mm either side of centre. Holes to be drilled 118mm up from the join of the bottom bumper valence.My car is an 06 Passat 1.9 TDI SE model which has a chrome strip fixed to the bumper running from the wheel arch round to the recess in the bumper in which the number plate is fixed. Am I correct when I read the joint of the bottom bumper valence (which is used as the base from which the 118mm vertical measurement is made) is the joint between the upper bumper cover which is painted to match the colour of the car and the bottom black plastic spoiler attached thereto? Just checking to be absolutely sure. This joint is 140mm below the bottom of the chrome trim strip referred to above. The sensors will therefore be centred 22 mm below the bottom of the chrome strip. In this position they will be approx.585mm above ground level. The outer sensors when fixed 650 mm from the centre will be onto the curve of the bumper wrap around and consequently be pointing a few degrees outwards.
Can I be assured please that I have interpreted all of the above setting out details correctly?

Flash2 recommend drilling an oversized holes (21mm) for the sensors to avoid having to file a 2mm notch at the top. OK but how are the sensors fixed/secured in these holes when access to the back of the bumper is not available (without removing the bumper which I would want to avoid) so that the fitting of some sort of fixing (such as a back nut) would not be possible. I presume that there must be a propriety snap-in fixing that allows the sensors to be installed from the front of the bumper in the 21mm dia. hole. If there is a snap in fixing will it be possible to remove the sensor without removing the bumper should a fault occur?.
I have a (fixed) towbar fitted. Can I assume that there will be no interference withthe functioning of the sensors when fitted at the recommended spacing?. The
centre o the ball of the projecting towbar (fitted by the VW agent before delivery
of the car) is 105mm from the face of the bumper (but because of the slope on the
bumper is approx. only 80mm therefrom at the level of the sensors). The top of
the ball is 20mm below the level of the join of the bottom bumper valence
ie138mm below the proposed level of the sensors.

I note that the sensors have no switch to turn them off. So long as they onlyoperate when the car is in reverse I would not see that as much of a problem. I
understand, however, that the factory fitted sensors are switched off automatically
when a trailer is hitched to the car and the connection is plugged into the trailer
socket. I imagine that the reversing light would also be switched off and if that is
the case it doesn’t happen on my car with the agent retrofitted towbar but, as
mentioned, I am not bothered. I will be happy to make a connection to the
reversing light supply lead and most certainly do not want to interfere with
CAN circuits or relays.

Many Thanks
Mac500

Quatrelle
09-09-2007, 08:59 AM
There is a thread running parallel to yours:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=15087

which may (or may not!) be of any relevance to you.....

John

mac500
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks John for bringing that parallel thread to my attention.
I did consider going for the Targa SR2 system about a year ago but did not pursue it primarily because I thought that the number plate lights would be obscured by the Tara mounting frame and repositioned number plate. The number plate lights consist of two strip lamps which are sited directly over the number plate the outer edge of the lens being 40mm from the face of the bumper, the inner edge being 10mm from same. Perhaps this problem is not as bad as I had feared. Anyhow, I intend to have another look at this system to which Auto Express magazine tests gives a 4 star rating. I have a few queries about the fixing of the system.
1 The number plate at present is fixed directly to the bumper with adhesive strips. How is the Targa mounting frame attached? Adhesive strips? Attached to plastic bumper with Self tapping screws? Other?
2. Do I need an updated version of Targa SR2 which can be used with a towbar?

The low volume of the speaker would be an issue with me because I have poor hearing. Would it be possible to install the speaker on the dash or somewhere upfront inside the car? 4. I assume that I can connect the system to the reversing light supply line,
no need for a relay?

I am also considering the Quantum 1840V which has a 5 star rating.. I am not sure if this system can be installed without removing the bumper which I would like to avoid. The position of the sensors shown at http://parking-sensors.co.uk/gallery/vw-passat.asp (http://parking-sensors.co.uk/gallery/vw-passat.asp) are above the number plate recess and would appear to be about 25mm above the chrome trim strip or approx 70mm higher than the level at which VW recommend for the Cobra sensors which are sited 22mm below the bottom of the said strip.
The horizontal spacings are also different.
I would very much appreciate advice on the following:
Can the installation be carried out without removing the bumper from the car?:
If so:
1 Can the bumper be drilled in the positions indicated on the picture referred to above, without hitting
metal?
2. Can the sensors be permanently fitted from the outside face of the bumper?
3. Can the wires be fed, in the manner described for the cobra system, across the bumper through the sensor
holes to the number plate lamp holes without encountering obstruction.

Many Thanks
Mac500

Ben
11-09-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Mac500

An intreuging read so far, this has the potential to be a very good thread.

Can i ask why you would prefer not to remove the bumper?
I fitted my own towbar and had to remove the bumper and was pleasantly surprised at how easy is was. There is no weight to it, even with all the retaining screws removed it still didn't move as it sits in runners so you don't even need to hold it in case it falls.

I would imagine that trying to feed wires without removing the bumper would be very tricky however i believe there would be plenty of space behind the bumper, there was on my car.

With regard to feeding off the reversing light to power the beeping sound and the sensors in general,(this it how i understood it) may sound easier that is it. I'll try to explain.... The way the 'system' works regarding the 12v supply to the trailer board, is providing your not paying over the odds at VW, the cost effective way is with a multiplex bypass relay, (again, far less complex than it sounds). The relay uses two inputs, the first input is the signal from one or more of the circiuts, brake, indicator x2 side light x 2, fog and reverse. This signal (may only be 0.5 of a volt) is then boosted back up to 12v by an additional supply of 12v fed from feeding off the supply to the boot power socket. It's not like the older cars where you could pick up a 12v feed directly off the circuit.

What power supply do you require for any of the reversing sensors you've investigated? You may require to source your power in a similar manner.

You mention somewhere about the sensors being mounted at a point on the bumper where it begins to bend for the corner of the car. To me this sounds normal. Of the 4 sensors, the centre 2 monitor the rear of the vehicle and the outer 2 the periferal vision (a low wall or fence for example)

To further confirm mounting positions of sensors, there are some lines of enquiry you could still pursue, pop down to dealers and look at similar cars with sensors fitted, get usefull answers on forums, and there may be suggested drill points indicated on the rear of the bumper.

One final thing, when i wanted to learn about towbars, there was basically nothing about them on this forum, questions had been asked but noone actually 'knew' much of any use, I had to basically start from scratch. I feel that this maybe the same scinareo you find yourself in, but you never know. As retro fitting sensors involves drilling and electrics, it is likely to put off all but the brave so those that have done it are few and far between.

My advice to you is to do exaclty as i did with my towbar, research it, send emails, get photos, probe VW, the answers are there, they will print off their computers, images, part numbers. Keep track of all your research by posting it all for us to read and ask questions of as this only helps you gain a further understanding of the subject.

This is the research i did on my towbar http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=9482 look at the date i started and look at the date it was completed.

This is the How TO that i wrote http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13686 here you will see just how simple the removal of the bumper is and also the removal of the rear light clusters is also dead easy.

The two areas that would have me concerned the most are, the drilling of the holes and the electrics. Locating the holes wouldn't be a problem its the drilling - you only get one chance and you need to do 4.

Overall, with the information you have gathered so far and the questions you ask, i have total confidence in your skills.

Keep us all up to date with your progress.

Ben

Quatrelle
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Here's another thread you may have missed http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum//showthread.php?t=9652

It's also worth looking at the 'Similar threads' links just below the 'Quick Reply' box.

Pictures in VW's 'French' brochure show their own sensors above the chrome strip.

I fitted my sensors some months ago, so this is all from memory. The Targa number plate holder is fitted with short self-tapping screws (not supplied - I used short fat stainless ones. I don't think adhesive strips would work here since the holder is quite 'skeletal'. The whole lot is held on to my car more securely because the law in France stipulates that number plates must be riveted to the car! However, this did enable me to trim off some of the Targa retaining tabs. Picture below.

I had no problem with the wiring, tapping into the reverse-light wire behind the boot trim. I made a hole in the bumper, behind the number plate (Targa supply a natty grommet for this), and then fed it into the spare wheel well through VW's large rubber grommet quite easily by poking a piece of stiff wire out of the well, through the bumper hole.

The fitting should make no difference to the number-plate lights since the Targa holder is slim, and doesn’t appear to obstruct the lights. The sensors stick out just beyond the plate recess.

I checked the sensors today by standing at the rear quarter of the car, in line with the rear bumper, and they picked me up the minute I moved beyond the corner, so they appear to have virtually 180 deg range – if needed I’ll do a full check next time it comes out of my garage.

As I said in an earlier thread, I have installed the speaker in the car, and it is not now on full volume. The speaker ‘beeps’ once when reverse is engaged.

Reversing when towing will presumably bring them into operation.

I obviously can’t say if they are as effective as a four-sensor set. As opposed to VW’s own, they do not appear to be affected by water ingress – I’ll regret saying that!

I’m happy with mine, especially as the black Targa doesn’t stand out against the car’s moka (mocha) colour

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s256/Quatrelle/DSCF0681.jpg

mac500
12-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Thanks again Quartrelle.
I didn’t actually miss t=9652. It was from that thread that I got the positions for the Cobra Parkmaster sensors which I understood is the type used for the factory fitted parking sensors.
I also understood that these positions were recommended by VW. I do however agree that photos of the Passat are now showing the sensors above the chrome strip. The photo I saw was of an 07 model. Maybe the positions for the 06 model are different but I have my doubts.
The Auto Express Magazine tests give the Meta Targa SR2 system 4 stars, the CobraParkmaster favored by VW 3 stars and Quanan 1840V 5 stars.
The good performance of the highly recommended Targa system has drawn me to that system. The ease of installation without drilling holes in the bumper is a definite plus.. You have the Meta Targa SR2 fitted to a Passat and have not found the number plate lights to be obstructed to any noticeable extent- enough said.
The towbar on my car might be a problem but if so there is an updated version now available which can be used with a towbar \It may see the towbar but can be programmed to ignore it so long as there is no relative movement between it and the car.
I understand that you did not have to install a By-Pass Relay. I recall a post I read recently (maybe it was in t=9652) where someone recorded that after connecting to the reverse light positive feed without a relay he started to get a warning on the dash that there is a problem with the reverse light bulb. I also understand that with some systems a bleep may be emitted from the parking sensor kit approx. every 30 seconds during normal driving . This is the vehicle carrying out a continuity check on the bulbs. The Passat is equipped with a bulb failure monitoring system as far as I know. If you have not encountered any such problems that would be great.

mac500
12-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Golfmk5gttdi Thank you for your advice. There are sufficient similarities between the Golf and 06 Passat as to make your excellent post and photos a very useful point of reference, should I decide to remove the bumper to facilitate the fitting of parking sensors. When I expressed a preference not to remove the bumper I was going on advice given in one of the posts in thread 9652 which was that it was easier to fit the Cobra parking sensors with the bumpers fixed to the car. That advice might not hold good for other parking sensors.
My tow bar was fitted by the dealer before I took delivery of the car and I know that he had to remove the bumper when doing so. The multiplex relay failed a few months ago and I had to have it replaced.
Whether I will be able to power the sensors from the 12v. feed to the reversing lights, or will need an additional relay, is an open question. I am getting conflicting advice so it will probably be a case of sucking it and see. I note that you did not need to use the grey wire from the relay which is for reverse. I don’t have reverse lights fitted to my trailer and I may well have a spare connection point also which I might be able to use.
If I do require to add a new multiplex relay I presume it need only be a single channel although how it would be programmed to pick up only the parking light signal is beyond me.
You suggest that I should probe VW for information. I suspect that they would only refer me to one of their authorized agents and try to dissuade me from doing the work myself.
Thanks again for your help. I am building up a nice little dossier on this topic.

bloodygoodbloke
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
i just bought a Targa system to fit this weekend on my passat.

I fitted sensors on my lexus and cant really be bothered with the hastle it caused trying to line up and drill the bloody things.

I will report back on how they do.

Chris

Quatrelle
02-10-2008, 10:15 PM
i just bought a Targa system to fit this weekend on my passat.

I fitted sensors on my lexus and cant really be bothered with the hastle it caused trying to line up and drill the bloody things.

I will report back on how they do.

ChrisGot them on mine, very satisfied, they pick up things far better than I thought they would.

Only complaint was that the buzzer was too quiet in the boot (probably not a problem if you've got an estate) when reversing the car with the aircon full on, so I and mounted it inside the car on the 'wall' under the centre of the rear seats (cut a suitable sized hole in the carpet) - and then had to turn it down a bit! Picked up the reverse light cable from under the carpet on the l/h rear wheel arch. I put the box in a space in the jack carrier.

Used the grommet in the spare wheel well to access the number plate - which by law here has to be rivetted on, so it was a bit fiddly using the old holes.

Best of luck with them

John

euroslap
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I've fitted the Cobra sensors to several types of car, they're the best after market reversing sensors I've fitted and as close to an oe sensor in operation as long as they're set up properly.

mikecb1
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I fitted the genuine VW parking sensor kit to my 56 Sport a couple of months ago. This is the Cobra Parkmaster kit repackaged for VW, with a custom loom and fitting kit.

I fitted the sensors in the same positions as the factory-fit sensors, i.e above the chrome strip. Strictly speaking this is a bit high, but when I spoke to the technical support man at Cobra he didn't think it would be a problem (and it wasn't) The spacings are also the same as the factory fit. This is 430mm, 480mm,430mm for sensors 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 respectively. Someone else in the forum used 450 mm for all the spacings, and had no problems. I drilled the holes 20 mm diameter as per the VW instructions, and filed the notches with a needle file. I would be careful about drilling oversize holes because the flange on the sensors is not very wide, and it may not cover the edge of the hole if the sensors are a sloppy fit. The sensors, by the way, don't require any rear-fitted retainers. They have springy plastic wings, which you compress when you push the sensors into their mounting holes. The wings then pop out again behind the bumper panel. Not sure how hard it would be to remove them without removing the bumper.

Following advice from others on this forum, I fitted the sensors and the wiring without removing the bumper. This is not too difficult, particularly since the sensors attach to the wiring with plug/sockets. This means you can install the wiring first, then plug in the sensors and fit them to the bumper last. I taped the wiring to a piece of stiff insulated cable, and threaded it from inside the boot to hole 1, then from hole1 to hole 2, then from 2 to 3, and finally 3-4. The only downside to installing the wiring like this is that the wiring is left hanging unsupported inside the bumper. I don't think this is a big issue since the wiring is relatively light, though of course it would be better if it were clipped to the bumper in some way. The factory kit includes self-adhesive cable clips for this purpose, but there is no way of fitting them without removing the bumper.

There is a fair bit of panel removal work involved inside the boot to fit the Parkmaster kit, not least because parts are installed on both sides. I gave some details of this in a note I posted to the forum a couple of months ago.

After installation, the Parkmaster kit needs setting up. This involves parking the car 500 mm from a wall, then going through a set-up sequence and cutting a programming wire.

I have to say that I am delighted with the performance of my system, which to date has been completely reliable in all weathers.

It may also be of interest that I recently installed a Dolphin parking sensor kit in my wife's new Toyota Yaris. This kit is half the price of the Cobra kit, and has been praised by others in this forum. Again, I installed it without removing the bumper. One significant difference is that the Dolphin sensors are permanently attached to their individual connecting cables, so each one has to be threaded through separately into the boot, which is a bit more hassle. Like the Parkmaster sensors, the Dolphin sensors have inbuilt retaining devices, so no rear access is required to fit them. No setting up is required with the Dolphin kit, and mine works just fine. I get the impression it is not quite as sensitive as the Parkmaster system in terms of long-range detection, but I haven't actually measured it to confirm this. Certainly it's very good value.

In both cases I sprayed the sensors to match the cars paintwork. The Parkmaster kit included plastic rings to protect the flexible membrane at the bottom of the circular groove from paint. I used rings of fine wire for the same purpose on the Dolphin sensors.

Hope this is of help

Mike

euroslap
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I fitted the genuine VW parking sensor kit to my 56 Sport a couple of months ago. This is the Cobra Parkmaster kit repackaged for VW, with a custom loom and fitting kit.

I fitted the sensors in the same positions as the factory-fit sensors, i.e above the chrome strip. Strictly speaking this is a bit high, but when I spoke to the technical support man at Cobra he didn't think it would be a problem (and it wasn't) The spacings are also the same as the factory fit. This is 430mm, 480mm,430mm for sensors 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 respectively. Someone else in the forum used 450 mm for all the spacings, and had no problems. I drilled the holes 20 mm diameter as per the VW instructions, and filed the notches with a needle file. I would be careful about drilling oversize holes because the flange on the sensors is not very wide, and it may not cover the edge of the hole if the sensors are a sloppy fit. The sensors, by the way, don't require any rear-fitted retainers. They have springy plastic wings, which you compress when you push the sensors into their mounting holes. The wings then pop out again behind the bumper panel. Not sure how hard it would be to remove them without removing the bumper.

Following advice from others on this forum, I fitted the sensors and the wiring without removing the bumper. This is not too difficult, particularly since the sensors attach to the wiring with plug/sockets. This means you can install the wiring first, then plug in the sensors and fit them to the bumper last. I taped the wiring to a piece of stiff insulated cable, and threaded it from inside the boot to hole 1, then from hole1 to hole 2, then from 2 to 3, and finally 3-4. The only downside to installing the wiring like this is that the wiring is left hanging unsupported inside the bumper. I don't think this is a big issue since the wiring is relatively light, though of course it would be better if it were clipped to the bumper in some way. The factory kit includes self-adhesive cable clips for this purpose, but there is no way of fitting them without removing the bumper.

There is a fair bit of panel removal work involved inside the boot to fit the Parkmaster kit, not least because parts are installed on both sides. I gave some details of this in a note I posted to the forum a couple of months ago.

After installation, the Parkmaster kit needs setting up. This involves parking the car 500 mm from a wall, then going through a set-up sequence and cutting a programming wire.

I have to say that I am delighted with the performance of my system, which to date has been completely reliable in all weathers.

It may also be of interest that I recently installed a Dolphin parking sensor kit in my wife's new Toyota Yaris. This kit is half the price of the Cobra kit, and has been praised by others in this forum. Again, I installed it without removing the bumper. One significant difference is that the Dolphin sensors are permanently attached to their individual connecting cables, so each one has to be threaded through separately into the boot, which is a bit more hassle. Like the Parkmaster sensors, the Dolphin sensors have inbuilt retaining devices, so no rear access is required to fit them. No setting up is required with the Dolphin kit, and mine works just fine. I get the impression it is not quite as sensitive as the Parkmaster system in terms of long-range detection, but I haven't actually measured it to confirm this. Certainly it's very good value.

In both cases I sprayed the sensors to match the cars paintwork. The Parkmaster kit included plastic rings to protect the flexible membrane at the bottom of the circular groove from paint. I used rings of fine wire for the same purpose on the Dolphin sensors.

Hope this is of help

Mike

Good work, I find that the way the Cobra sensors beep is a lot easier to judge distance by (or definately gives me more confidence than cheaper kits) and sounds very much factory fitted. When I fit the Cobras although it say's in the instructions to calibrate them at 50cm, I cut the loop at about 30cm (otherwise you get your constant tone miles away from anything). If this does become an issue just disconnect the power and twist the blue loop back together and you should be able to start from scratch again. ;)