PDA

View Full Version : Desperate for some advice on an A4

Sh0gun
23-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey guys, hoping to be a 'proper' member of this club soon, as im shopping for an audi A4 avant, but im hoping you guys could help me avoid some pitfalls

Im looking to spend about 7000 so typically looking at around 55-06, done around 60k,

My driving style doesnt really require a diesel as i only average 8k a year maybe a little more,

which from what i can gather leaves me with a 2.0, 2,0T or 1.8T (obviously theres some beasts 3.2 etc but i cant afford that fuel consumption)
Is there much a difference in them mpg wise? and will i really feel the drop in mpg (currently in a 08 mazda 6, 2.0 litre petrol)

So if anyone could help me with pitfalls or just general advice really on the above engines, or if you think im better with a diesel please any advise would be fantastic,
Sad as it might sound the A4 avant is a car ive been chasing for years its one of my favourite cars on the road and im finally able to afford one, so i dont want to buy a knackered one,

Thanks in advance hope to be joining you lot soon:approve:

zollaf
23-11-2013, 10:03 PM
welcome. absolutely nothing sad about wanting an a4 avant. they are about the only car that looks better in avant form than saloon, and thats all a4's and its predecessor , the 80.

Sh0gun
23-11-2013, 10:05 PM
welcome. absolutely nothing sad about wanting an a4 avant. they are about the only car that looks better in avant form than saloon, and thats all a4's and its predecessor , the 80.

I know right??

I work with a bunch of young lads, (im 26) and they constantly give me stick for loving the Avant but to each their own
Apparently its a dad car, oh well!

Guest 2
23-11-2013, 10:10 PM
B6/7's are pretty reliable, just check the plenum chambers under the bonnet aren't clogged with leaves and check for any damp carpets especially the front passenger side.

obviously make sure everything works, drives well, stops and confirm any service history with the car.

zollaf
23-11-2013, 10:13 PM
then buy an rs4 with its twin turbo v6 and see if any of them can keep up :)
seriously though, if you like avants then you like avants. personally i love them, but dislike any other estates. most just look so wrong, like a saloon thats been converted to fill a gap in the market, where the audi looks like it was born as an avant. they are awesome cars and i am sure some people will be along to advise you which engine to get. personally if you are only doing that low mileage i would get a large and more powerful engine, such as the 2.7 v6 i mentioned earlier.

Doctle Odd
23-11-2013, 10:22 PM
V6 smoother more power and a pleasure to drive. Road tax in Ireland prevents me having one

Sh0gun
23-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Naw man my 2.0 mazda annoys me at petrol stations so a v6 would terrify me lol!
to be fair with my budget every car that comes up is a 2.0T, im more of an aesthetics kinda guy, not a speed demon if im honest, 2.0T would be plenty for me, but if its a massive saving at 1.8 or non turbo, ill probably go there

kodkod.84
23-11-2013, 11:29 PM
2.0T is a brilliant engine, and easily tuneable with a remap if you fancy a bit more power. Go for the s line if you want a sportier look and don't mind the firmer suspension

And yes with the B7 it has to be an avant rather than the saloon:- looks better + more versatile :)

perm
24-11-2013, 07:23 AM
I really enjoy driving the 2.0T Avant, like you I too think it's the better looking than the saloon shape.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/24/yryde3e4.jpg

darich
24-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Shogun
I have a 2006 (06) Saloon version. Mine is a 2.0Tfsi Quattro SLine special edition, so it comes with 216bhp as standard. I've had mine mapped to around 250bhp and been running it like that for something like 3 1/2 years. I've had the car for 4 years now. And apart from the usual maintenance I've had trouble free motoring. Had to replace the front discs and pads about a year ago but went Mintex....and I think they've warped again. Rear discs need done at service in February. I only do around 6000 miles a year.
My average mpg is 27.95mpg measured over 2 years and 8months.....15,500miles.....yes I'm sad...I record all expenses in an app on my phone!

Couple of things I've found need checked.......diverter valve can tear which results in a loss of power, but it's often a very gradual drop so you don't notice. Costs around £45 for the part. Not sure how easy it is to fit though. Touch wood I've never had to do mine.....yet!
The other thing is coil packs. Audi replace them free of charge but it's not a recall, so whatever car you buy, check with your local dealer to see if the coil packs have been done. Mine were done a couple of years ago and it cost me nothing...except a trip to the nearby shopping centre!!

If you get a quattro you'll be amazed by the winter grip...I can climb hills that 2 wheel drives can't even look at. It's incredible the grip you have....but always remember....you can't stop any quicker or go round corners quicker...so you still need to take great care.

Best of luck in your search

Sh0gun
24-11-2013, 05:59 PM
Shogun
I have a 2006 (06) Saloon version. Mine is a 2.0Tfsi Quattro SLine special edition, so it comes with 216bhp as standard. I've had mine mapped to around 250bhp and been running it like that for something like 3 1/2 years. I've had the car for 4 years now. And apart from the usual maintenance I've had trouble free motoring. Had to replace the front discs and pads about a year ago but went Mintex....and I think they've warped again. Rear discs need done at service in February. I only do around 6000 miles a year.
My average mpg is 27.95mpg measured over 2 years and 8months.....15,500miles.....yes I'm sad...I record all expenses in an app on my phone!

Couple of things I've found need checked.......diverter valve can tear which results in a loss of power, but it's often a very gradual drop so you don't notice. Costs around £45 for the part. Not sure how easy it is to fit though. Touch wood I've never had to do mine.....yet!
The other thing is coil packs. Audi replace them free of charge but it's not a recall, so whatever car you buy, check with your local dealer to see if the coil packs have been done. Mine were done a couple of years ago and it cost me nothing...except a trip to the nearby shopping centre!!

If you get a quattro you'll be amazed by the winter grip...I can climb hills that 2 wheel drives can't even look at. It's incredible the grip you have....but always remember....you can't stop any quicker or go round corners quicker...so you still need to take great care.

Best of luck in your search

Fantastic thats really helpful, thanks alot mate will look out for those things, yours sounds a beast i think im getting around 34 mpg average right now so i guess not too much of a jump