PDA

View Full Version : keeping it clean and shiny

arctic blue
08-09-2007, 10:44 PM
new car ( 1week old)
ive got my system worked out for washing, micro fibre mitts , top to bottom + towel dry.
after drying, looks good, but when you feel the paint its doesn't seem as shiny or feel smooth as when youve put polish on it,( eg my old car)
any suggestions which polish to use to get it lookin and feeling good, am i right to polish it at all, you read so much bumf, personal reccomendation feels better.

ive got autoglym polish, i,m quite happy with that.
keep the suggestions simple. i am not superkeen just want an easy quick method, with not much effort as i'm not in best health.

same request for cleaning glass inside and out.i have a big problem with smears, ok its new now but eventually the smears appear,
a reasonably easy way to cleans what i want, type of cloth/paper towels?? type of cleaner.

ive no doubt somone will say only polish every 3 or 6 months, chap i know polishes new cars once a month.
look forward to yor comments

Col
08-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Have you tried 'claying' the car ? It gets rid of any embedded bits in the paint and leaves it feeling silky smooth. Halfords do a Meguires kit; block of clay plus bottle of lube / detailing spray.

As for polishing your car. Once you are happy with the way the paint looks / feels, once every six months should be enough.

However...

Wax the car as often as you like, once a week, twice a week even!

The difference between a wax and a polish is as follows;

Polish is actually slightly abrasive and will take off some of the paint / laquer with it. Do it to often and you'll take your paint off !

Wax is non abrasive and simply shines / protects your paint.

Be very careful what you choose to use. Autoglym super resin is a very good polish, but it is a polish. Use the Autoglym extra gloss protection stuff on top between your 6 monthly or so actual polishes, it is non abrasive.

Also try the Meguires stuff as well, none of that white chalk dust lark with it like you get with Autoglym.

arctic blue
08-09-2007, 11:30 PM
bigcol, waxings my way to go me thinks. thanks

new to vw
10-09-2007, 01:11 AM
hi there and here goes
wash
dry
clay (if you need to)
wash again if you have clayed
polish AG polish cant go wrong with it but thats only my opion
seal polish AG hi gloss protection
thats how i do mine
lee:D:D

westie383
10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Hi,
I've recently been converted to Meguier's after using Merr for quite a while. I spent two full days using their three step process with cleaner, polish & wax - bloody hard work, but well worth the effort. I now use their Ulimate Quik Detailer which was new out last month. The results are absolutely stunning, bringing out the best of my Passat's grey paintwork, and it's a doddle to use. Can't believe something's so good for so little money. Give it a go.
Cheers,
Trev :beerchug:

REMO
08-11-2007, 02:49 AM
TRY ZAINO :Blush: BEST I,VE EVER USED AND I HAVE TRYED LOADS