PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T Sport electric probs?

AlB
05-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Have a 1,8TS Passat with 120k showing. It's been really great up to now (apart from the ABS controller falling over!!!) However, the central locking doesn't work remotely now :( - can centrally lock using the key in the locks. I've changed the batts twice (just in case) to no avail. Also, the 4 rear speakers mounted in the rear doors have stopped working. Does anyone know if these faults are related? If so, is it an easy fix? Any help appreciated. Al B:1zhelp:

Wookie
31-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi,
I had that central locking problem where it only worked on the key. Although on mine it was coupled to a failure of the drivers window to raise or lower automatically at a touch of the button ie: it would only work under continuous pressure.
The problem turned out to be a couple of broken wires in the drivers door loom, the bit in the rubber boot between door and body. You know that bit that's a right little B*****D to get at? If I recall correctly I think I soldered mine for peace of mind, if yours turns out to have the same problem, that's the solution I would recommend as the loom is pretty stressed at that point and I think crimp connectors or the like will only cause further problems in the long run.
Good luck cos as I seem to remember the loom wasn't the only thing stressed by the time I had finished.
I don't think the speaker problems are related to the locking one (go on someone prove me wrong) but I would have thought there would have been a stack of ICE fans out there to give an answer to that one.

AlB
31-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks for that Wookie. I've a leckie looking at the central locking problem tomorrow. He seems to think the fob may need re-programming or something. I've also been advised that the stereo speaker problem sounds like it may be the radio at fault. I thought it may have been a faulty or loose connector but I don't know how to get the radio out. Any help out there?

brogandb7
28-12-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi there,
After speaking with a VW technician there is a known problem on the Passat. The connector that lives inside the B-pillar is prone to water damage and rust and these get repaired a lot by VW. Apparently they are a problem to get to and repair and when removing the interior trim the bits tend to break off. Might be worth getting a quote to get the work done and let the VW techies sort it out as it might be cheaper. Hope it helps, David.